Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Motronic relays/fuses & Airmatic - Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430
Motronic relays/fuses & Airmatic - Visit Workshop

My '03 S430 does not bottom out except for once which was corrected by checking pump electrical connections & swapping relays to get a good one in "O". I have since put a brand new Hella relay in "O".
Frankly, I think it's mostly stuck near the top of the Airmatic range because it just seems really high. I do have 3 washers installed up front & the rear level sensor is closed about the same amount as the thickness of 3 washers. The car has come down to the exact measurement of 2.3 fingers width from the tops of my front tires. Right about 26" from the street to the top-center of the wheel well openings. Yes, even all around & I like it that way.
My car raises & lowers roughly an inch when I use the dash button to make it do stuff.
About 3 seconds after I unlock my car, there is a hiss of air passing from the area of the pump. I can't tell if the car moves at all so I don't know if it's air going in or air coming out. This same thing, except with more air passing, happens when I get out of my car. The car does not bottom out or even come close.
I really think my Airmatic is working but the stupid, malfunction light won't go away.
Yesterday, I spent some time swapping around my "N" & "K" relays with the relay I removed from "O". I saw no change....except that my "K" relay gets very hot. My diagram says that relay is for "Motronic/Chassis". There is also the "V" relay for Motronic & fuse 87 for Motronic. I have not messed with either of those...YET.
Should I?
Would those being jacked up cause my Airmatic malfunction light to haunt every second of my life?
I'm sure I'll poke around in there soon but I wanted to check in with you folks as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430
I was going to dick around with my V relay but I don't believe I have one. From the photos I could find & from the diagram, it's not there. What is there is the thing in the picture. It's some kind of air pollution module. I don't see any other relay/fuse boxes on the passenger side firewall. Nothing.
I'm thinking the S430 doesn't have the bells & whistles that those fuses & relays spark but that doesn't make sense because I have the K relay which is for Motronic as is the V relay. OR IS IT?
The K is for Motronic/Chassis. Maybe my K relay is only sparking the Chassis stuff because the S430 doesn't have Motronic stuff that needs the V relay.
If I'm wrong & a 2003 S430 does have a V relay, please help me find it. Photos would be awesome. Idiotproof instructions of how to get there from where the Airmatic relays are would be great as well.