Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Connecting aftermarket radios to MOST systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Connecting aftermarket radios to MOST systems

Hello,

First of all - hello to everyone here on the forums... been lurking a while, first time poster.

What I'm looking for are ways to how to connect aftermarket Chinese radios (Android ones to be exact) to MOST-equipped M-B's, such as, let's say, W220's with the Bose system or W211's... basically any Mercedes-Benz with the MOST.

I know there is the OPTI-1 which I have read about here on the forums (I did do my research before I posted this). This is what I'm looking for, BUT, sorry to say this, to me it is ridiculously overpriced. Getting a $550 adapter for a $500 radio is, unfortunately out of the question for my clients.

From the pictures I assume the adapter works like this:
1) Connect the unit you want to work with the factory MOST+amp system via RCA audio cables
2) Connect the power (to what?)
3) Connect the factory MOST cable to the box
4) The circuitry inside the box completes the loop, activates the amp and makes it work - presto!

I did more research and there is the N6-MOST box for Dynavin-branded units. They say it works ONLY with select BMW's, select M-B's, and the Porsche Cayenne 2003-2010 and WILL NOT work with other aftermarket radios. Fair enough, but after more lurking I came upon offers of what looks like the same thing on other websites (they even use the same exact picture as Dynavin!) and they do not mention anything about Dynavin, they just say the adapter will work with anything and any car with the MOST system.
I even found one offer on Alibaba.com that had more pictures (not just the same generic one of the unit), and it looks like the box has 2 RCA cables, some power cables (they explain how to hook them up) and a port for the MOST bus.

This leads me to believe that Dynavin is full of... lies and maybe they just rebrand a generic box that can be used with anything else. The price is different by a huge margin, being around $130, not $550! Has anybody tried using this with a radio/anything other than Dynavin?

OR, maybe they are not lying and there is something I don't know - like that the adapter has to be specifically programmed for a given Mercedes-Benz in order to work? Or perhaps it's one standard in all cars and the adapter is universal?

Are there simply any new developments on the market regarding this topic? Perhaps there is something new I have overlooked? All posts I've seen regarding this matter are old, 2 years up.

I'm just looking for a sure-fire way to hook up an aftermarket unit WITHOUT having resort to cutting up the audio installation, getting rid of the amp, rewiring the speakers like we usually have to do...

Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by NaviPR; 09-18-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Shipped $429 opti1 http://www.access1alarm.com/radio-replacement

sorry you got a cheap android unit for $400. it is not the fault of the opti1 I see many $1100+ alpine and kenwood units going into MB's and used to do many myself a few years ago. the cheap droid based screens are garbage, you want true droid use get an Alpine of Kenwood with MHL, hopefully your droid phone is capable, and the head unit will mirror it.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:09 AM

W220
Thanks for the reply and info, but I don't want to start a debate here regarding which Android and Android-capable unit is better.

I'm simply looking for information on how to connect aftermarket radios to a MOST system, possibly using the cheapest and most non-invasive option... I understand the OPTI-1 is probably the best, but even at $429 it is overpriced for my clients, so I'm looking for something similar, and the Dynavin adapter seems the best (and only fit). Judging by the inputs they seem to be working on the same principle that I have described - is that correct?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dynavin's adapter was simply a cheap copy of the OPTI-1...
Old 09-22-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by NaviPR
Thanks for the reply and info, but I don't want to start a debate here regarding which Android and Android-capable unit is better.

I'm simply looking for information on how to connect aftermarket radios to a MOST system, possibly using the cheapest and most non-invasive option... I understand the OPTI-1 is probably the best, but even at $429 it is overpriced for my clients, so I'm looking for something similar, and the Dynavin adapter seems the best (and only fit). Judging by the inputs they seem to be working on the same principle that I have described - is that correct?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dynavin's adapter was simply a cheap copy of the OPTI-1...
I think JBON's point is that one cheap device does not set the bar for pricing. FWIW a replacement Comand unit would cost north of $4K. All things being relative...
Old 09-24-2015, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
doubt it is a copy, patents. You stated clients, well you have to figure what you are going to sell to your customer, cheap solution or a quality solution that works all the time? When I was retailing, that is what it was, no fluff. selling no magic either
Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 PM

MB SL55 AMG R2 RENNtech
Originally Posted by jbondox
Shipped $429 opti1 http://www.access1alarm.com/radio-replacement

sorry you got a cheap android unit for $400. it is not the fault of the opti1 I see many $1100+ alpine and kenwood units going into MB's and used to do many myself a few years ago. the cheap droid based screens are garbage, you want true droid use get an Alpine of Kenwood with MHL, hopefully your droid phone is capable, and the head unit will mirror it.
I am looking to completely replace the system in my 2008 SL55. A new Head Unit (Kenwood 2x din), Amps (Mosconi), Speakers (Folk), Subs (JL) a very custom install.

What will I need to do to retain the steering wheel controls as there is a lot of functionality there, outside of just radio control? Are they separate from say, Cruise, Mileage, Time, and... or is the command unit the flow for all information to the dash.

Any guidance would be very helpful, this is my first MB with a MOST network and I need to do my homework.

Thank you, Bill
Old 09-30-2015, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
use a metra aswc-1, you will still have the other menus of the steering wheel controls but on audio you will have track/volume/phone depending on the headunit
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 AM

MB SL55 AMG R2 RENNtech
Originally Posted by jbondox
use a metra aswc-1, you will still have the other menus of the steering wheel controls but on audio you will have track/volume/phone depending on the headunit
Thank you! Bill