Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How difficult is it to replace Bose OEM stereo cassette that uses D2B network?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 slk230 Kompressor
How difficult is it to replace Bose OEM stereo cassette that uses D2B network?

2002, SLK230, Kompressor, Automatic, stereo with cassette, no CD attached. First time Mercedes owner

I would like to upgrade my OEM head unit, without the CD changer to the Jensen VX 7012 multimedia head unit. I don't want to use the Bose amps, and just want to use the Jensen internal amp.
I am reading/hearing conflicting information on what will happen when I do this. According to Crutchfield, all I have to do is forget about the fiber optic lead connected to the OEM head unit, and use their supplied plug adapters to connect the speakers to the Jensen. The dealer says I can't do it, and doesn't have a suggestion on what needs to be done. Best Buy says it will cost me over $250 for them to do it because of a special bypass needed for the fiber optics.
I have replaced OEM systems before, and it usually is 1/2 hour job, primarily in wiring the adapter plug that fits to the OEM speakers and power plugs. In this case I also know I need an antenna adapter. All the rest of this "voodoo" has me confused.
If anyone has done this and found it not to be such a headache, please fill me in.
Attached Thumbnails How difficult is it to replace Bose OEM stereo cassette that uses D2B network?-01515_bcw6hu51z3m_600x450.jpg