Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Android - Fiber Optic Converter Box - R Class Wiring Hookup Info Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Android - Fiber Optic Converter Box - R Class Wiring Hookup Info Needed?

Folks,

I have a 2007 MB 320CDI and installed an aftermarket R Class Android unit last night.

I have the unit installed and working, less the audio. The OEM amplified audio is hooked in via 2 fiber optics wires, which go into an aftermarket fiber optics adapter box (MOST).

The fiber optics adapter box has 3 wires: GND wire, B+/BATT wire, and ACC wire that I need hooked up, see the attached image.

My q is, which wires within the existing stereo housing vicinity can I splice into?

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL550 4Matic
The +power, -ground and remote on are not labeled going in to the factory head unit? I am in the process of doing the same thing on my 2011 GL550. The two fiber optic wires that come from the factory Harmon amp... Where the plug in to the (Most) adaptor, is there are special connection?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:56 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by srfrboy
The +power, -ground and remote on are not labeled going in to the factory head unit? I am in the process of doing the same thing on my 2011 GL550. The two fiber optic wires that come from the factory Harmon amp... Where the plug in to the (Most) adaptor, is there are special connection?
Srfrboy:

I should have updated this post.

I have successfully installed the MOST adapter by tapping into the following:
ACC = cigarette lighter (black w/white stripe wire)
GND = cigarette lighter (orange wire)
BTT = OEM radio wiring harness (black wire)

See pics below.

Unsure how the GL is wired, but a multimeter is your best friend.

The fiber optic wiring harness was the most difficult to remove from the OEM radio wiring harness. Once removed however, the 2 fiber optic wires (purple and orange) simply plug directly into the MOST box.

The MOST adapter box works 100% as advertised and is the exact MOST adapter box you can buy in the states, but for $80 less.

The Android unit is nothing short of spectacular and has future-proofed our 9 year old wagon for at least another 5 years.

ACC = cigarette lighter (black w/white stripe wire)
GND = cigarette lighter (orange wire)

BTT = OEM radio wiring harness (black wire)

Old 09-28-2016, 01:16 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic
Thank you so very much for your help with my project. I was wondering if you happen to have a link the the (Most) module? The one the I find coming up the most in my search is the brand Avin. But that unit is $249.00. Do you have a better option?

Thanks...

Randy
Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Randy,

Yes sir, glad I could be of assistance!

I have PM'd you the vendor information.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:05 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic
You have a picture of the finished product installed?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
If you are looking for something way better than the AVIN stuff (not hard), the new Kenwood units seem to be great, a real system with AndroidAuto or Apple CarPlay and doesn't have the BS boot up as the cheap android units. You also have Pioneer but the menu system isn't as refined as the Kenwood, and Alpine which has the best sound quality but no AndroidAuto. Some of the people here are lucky that they can get the European unit http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/m...l4845/x800d-ml Anyways NAVTV built an interface for adding a "real unit". There is a video of it located here with installation instructions and operation
so for those that want to do it themselves. Has fade, treble, balance, volume control, Logic 7 control and some other stuff. Plus it isn't a knock off of their product like the above MOST interface that was not designed in Germany.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by srfrboy
You have a picture of the finished product installed?
Srfrboy:

Apologies on the late reply.

See below for installed images. Fitment is great and the gaps are narrow around the bezel. Definitely exudes a stock appearance (the button lights are adjustable).