Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

w163 2005 SE ML500. Audio system questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w210 E430
w163 2005 SE ML500. Audio system questions

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for responding. I just picked up a near mint 2005 ML500 SE. Platinum blue with tan or khaki colored interior. I have some questions about the audio system

After some quick research I learned that some years of the W163 come with a fiber optic system that makes it a bit more difficult to install an aftermarket radio.

Can you guys take a look at the back of my radio ( pictures below ) and tell me if this is the fiber optic one? There is a fiber cable plugged into the back of it, but my 2001 E430 had a cable just like that for the CD changer only

Here is the back of my radio

My goal here is to remove the CD changer and factory head unit, and install an Apple car play head unit. I'd like to integrate with the factory bose amp if possible. My w210 e430 could do that easily, but I understand that if I have the fiber system that will not be possible.

This is my OEM HU

---------------------------------
Second question- My factory bose system works great, except I have no sound coming from the subwoofer, which I was told is under one of the front seats. All other speakers work properly. I have what seems to be an air vent on the side of the lower plastic trim on the front passenger seat. I assume the subwoofer is under there.

Is this a common issue with these bose systems? Is it as simple as a blown fuse?
---------------------------------------------

Third question for now- What is the actual location of the bose amp? I've read conflicting opinions that it is located either up under the driver side dashboard, or under one of the front seats.

Thanks in advance!