Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SiriusXM Satellite "NO SERVICE"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 08:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 ML350 4matic
SiriusXM Satellite "NO SERVICE"

In the past month, my satellite radio reception has become spotty. At times it shows "No Service" on my screen. Sometimes I am able to cycle to FM/AM/Weather (they all work fine) and then back to SiriusXM and it comes back on but that doesn't always work either. Everything else in my Command works fine.

My 2009 ML 350 4matic was purchased used in 2017 and XM was original equiplent. I have examined the SDAR unit under the left rear seat. The part number for this is A 171 870 15 89 and when I look that up on OE sites, substitue part going for $1200. Not happening. I do notice the blue wire coming out of the unit very much looks like an antenna wire (the blue connector) and I am assuming it goes to the antenna under the headliner near the back of the vehicle. I purchased a stand-alone XM antenna and plugged that into this port but no luck. Now am wondering about next step. Guessing I need to buy a used SDAR unit on ebay and try replacing that to see if any help.

I am not real certain how all of this works. I know there is a "ring" of fiber optics that circle the car. I'm thinking that the head unit sends info to the SDAR under the seat and then it sends info to the antennas under the headliner before they send signal back to the HU but what do I know.

Anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I ran my Autel Scanner but no codes come up for the Command.

VIN: 4JGBB86E5 9A491091

12/16/2022

UPDATE: Rec'd used SDAR satellite radio component from eBay seller ($250 used vs $1200 new!) to replace mine. The part numbers of the two units are identical. Plugged in new unit and SiriusXM satellite now works perfectly. HOWEVER, I now no longer have AM/FM/Weather/AUX!! Funny enough, I now get one HD radio station that I never got and HD stations before. Swapped original SDAR unit back in (this is the component under the left rear seat) and all of these items then work perfectly but no longer get th HD and my SiriusXM once again goes in and out.

QUESTION: Is it possible that my system needs to be reset with a proper scanner (STAR?) to reinitialize these functions? I have an AUTEL MaxiDiag MD806 Pro scanner and don't think there is anything I can do with this. Doesn't make sense to me that the SiriusXM would work w/o a reset with the new unit but the other items wouldn't work but what do I know! If no reset, I will assume that the used SDAR unit I bought is defective and return it.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 ML350 4matic
Tried holding the COMAND power button for 10 seconds to reboot but this did not help.