B-Class (W245) Discuss the new B-Class MPV: B200 Turbo, B200 CDI, B180 CDI, B150, B170, B200

DIY Starter replacement on B-Class, B200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes B200 2010
DIY Starter replacement on B-Class, B200

I should rent a garage for one day and try to change the starter myself. But to do it I need the help from the community. Do you have any documentation about the various steps? Any pictures? Any video? How do we lower the engine?

I did a good documentation on how to change the alternator on this forum. I would like to do the same for the starter if I succeed.

I have found a brand new starter for my B-Class B200 2010. On rockauto.com the website where I buy almost all my cars and motorhome parts it is 180$Cad shipping included. On
amazon.ca amazon.ca
it was 190$Cad shipping included. I bought the last one on rockauto but they should have others soon! I read Mercedes sell the same starter 500$US.

The part is VALEO 438079. This is the official Mercedes-Benz part for this car.

In Montreal we can rent for 9$/hour a garage with the lift, a transmission support, the various tools, etc.

Last edited by cbilodeau; 06-26-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Mercedes B200 2010
I have this sheet that explain how to change the starter. They say to "Lower engine with front axle carrier". Does anybody knows the name of the book that has this sheet?

I suppose that in this book there is a section called "How to Lower engine with front axle carrier".

Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Mercedes B200 2010
Here is a video on how to lower the engine for a Class-A. Do you think it is quite similar for a B-Class?

Now here a video on how to change a Class-A starter. No need to lower the engine for a Class-A but the video is useful anyway.

Last edited by cbilodeau; 06-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chode McBlob (07-30-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Mercedes B200 2010
No need to lower engine

Follow-up,

I had a Tranmisson error on my scanner saying the communication with the car computer and the transmission was not ok. So before changing the starter, I brought it at the dealer. Probably when Honda used cars sold me this B200 they tried to start the car and they jumped it the wrong way.
So the dealer plugged the scanner, reprogrammed the computer and the transmission error code dissapeared. With my scanner I could reset the error but it kept coming back.
Then the dealer diagnosed that the starter was bad and should be changed. They told me it was a 3.1 hours job, no need to lower then engine, just move a few things. Since my new amazon.ca Valeo starter was already on the passenger seat they told me they would charged only the 3.1 hours plus 1.6 hours of diagnostic.
So if they are right, changing the starter is not a big job. He told me he would schedule today or tomorrow a General Mechanic to do the job. General Mechanic means to me that it is a job anybody can do....

My total cost at the dealer will be 771$Cad + taxes (they will also replace the solenoid-relay). To this add the price of my Valeo starter at amazon.
I know, I should have told him I would change the starter myself to save a few hundred dollars. But since I have no more towing with my CAA-AAA this year (renewal date is in one month), I would have had to pay for the towing, etc, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Chode McBlob (07-30-2017)