How to turn on Internet in COMAND?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 Coupe
Red face How to turn on Internet in COMAND?

Hi Everyone,
I'm able to go into engineering mode and I saw "Internet" under SW Settings. My question is how to turn the internet on and bring out the "globe" in the main screen?

Can COMAND access internet using my iPhone (via bluetooth)?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
Hi Mike

Yep you can enable the Internet interface however you need a phone with the DUN Bluetooth access profile.

iPhone won't do it neither will some androids however blackberry and Samsung do.

Good luck.

James
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by jkyriakou
Hi Mike

Yep you can enable the Internet interface however you need a phone with the DUN Bluetooth access profile.

iPhone won't do it neither will some androids however blackberry and Samsung do.

Good luck.

James
Hi James. Thank you for the quick response. Does that mean that if it is a supported phone, the globe will appear? The globe is not visible while pairing with my iPhone.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ATS-V
more details please!!! What is the "globe" and how do you get into engineering mode? I would love to have internet in the car!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM

2015 C300
Access engineering menu by holding down the red 'end call' button + pound # + 1 together for a few seconds.
Careful what you play around with in here though.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I don't know what your talking about appearing on the home screen. But after you have enabled internet, you go over to the globe symbol on the top right of the comand screen, how you would access sirius weather. But now, instead of sirius weather being the only square, you can add favorites and input a "www." address to browse the web.

As said above though, you need a bluetooth phone that supports DUN to do this, iPhones don't, VERY few androids do, and only a handful of blackberry's support this. However, even the phones that do support it, the internet speed is PAINFULLY slow. I am going to try to find out if there is a work around to hookkup to wifi or somehting...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

2016 ATS-V
Edit: Found it.

Last edited by johnny--2k; 01-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
Internet speed is dependent on your network speed. In saying that DUn is usually slower because of how it's routed. The MB apps however, weather, Facebook should work fine. (don't know why you need Facebook in your car but you could then technically "check in")

My rep has advised (and I have confirmed independently) that MB will be adding PAN support third quarter 2012.

Will most likely require a stealer upgrade but iPhone should then work.

James
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM

2018 C63s AMG and 2018 C43 AMG coupe
just so everyone know iphone or android can download an app called pdanet to enable DUN Bluetooth tethering
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM

2016 ATS-V
What i want to know is if there is a way to enable the lines in the backup camera like the new ML's have. I tried using the same camera mode as my moms ML, but when in reverse, it doesn't pull up anything, just stays on whatever screen you are in (ie audio, phone, nav, etc...) so that's a no go from what I can tell.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Originally Posted by mugennosora
just so everyone know iphone or android can download an app called pdanet to enable DUN Bluetooth tethering
Can anyone confirm that pdanet will enable the MB internet? I got into the engineering menu but couldn't do anything.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 AM

they removed the line option on the new C because our camera is NOT centered...after many people complain those line are gone...

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
What i want to know is if there is a way to enable the lines in the backup camera like the new ML's have. I tried using the same camera mode as my moms ML, but when in reverse, it doesn't pull up anything, just stays on whatever screen you are in (ie audio, phone, nav, etc...) so that's a no go from what I can tell.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by jkyriakou
Internet speed is dependent on your network speed. In saying that DUn is usually slower because of how it's routed. The MB apps however, weather, Facebook should work fine. (don't know why you need Facebook in your car but you could then technically "check in")

My rep has advised (and I have confirmed independently) that MB will be adding PAN support third quarter 2012.

Will most likely require a stealer upgrade but iPhone should then work.

James
Internet speed is not the speed cap for this setup. The issue with bluetooth DUN dial-up networking is that it does not have a very good throughput. Most tests show that PDANet tops out around 50KB/s (faster than edge, but only half as fast as even the worst 3G. So essentially - it is slow.

It would be great if PAN support is added. Comand updates are usually free under warranty (it is maps updates that cost money).

PDANet is a good solution for Androids. But kinda buggy/problematic. The BEST solution for iPhones is to get iBluever, which is specifically made for bluetooth DUN connection. However, you must jailbreak your phone. There is a demo version so that you can ensure it will work for our uses, but it costs money on the Cydia market.

Here is the link for more information:
http://www.if0rce.com/en/ibluever/

Its interesting that you say Mercedes is planning PAN support for third quarter, I will check with my sources at MBUSA to confirm this...

EDIT: Acutally, I think that iBluever only allows your iPad/iPod/iPhone to connect to an existing Bluetooth DUN connection (meaning recieve internet, not send). I am unsure if PDANet will allow you to share iPhone internet via bluetooth DUN.

I *think* that mac laptops support bluetooth DUN internet sharing. So perhaps if you tether your iPhone to your laptop, then have your laptop share to the comand system via bluetooth DUN, it should work - but is far from an ideal setup.

Last edited by jctevere; 01-06-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM

jct

Please check with MBUSA and let us know. My sources mentioned that September 2012 is the likely release. Also expecting the "natural" speech for nav about that time for Oz. US should already have that language pack. (it basically means you dont have to spell every address to the nav)

In any case a quick google search also confirmed some of those details (ie telematics news website)

Thanks again

JK
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM

C250 Coupe
OK. I got it. The engineering mode was a little tricky. I didn't notice the extra settings until I move downwards the menu (console knob nudge down) and there was like 10 pages of settings in the SW Settings and HW settings.

Anyway, I manage to bring out the globe (internet) and DVD Video. (See attached picture). I was not able to browse as it gave me an error "phone not support for data transfer" - or something like that. I guess need to use a phone that supports DUN (Dial Up Networking). Will let everyone know my test result when I get to borrow an E51 phone later.

As for the DVD, I manage to play a DVD disc but it has an error displayed on the screen. (See attached picture). Audio for Scene 1,2,3,4,5... was available. Only thing is picture is missing. Does anyone know for this NTG 4.5, do I need to install extra module in order to play the video on the screen?

Oh BTW, please note that every setting you change, you need to reboot the car!
Attached Thumbnails How to turn on Internet in COMAND?-dvd-video-menu.jpg   How to turn on Internet in COMAND?-dvd-play.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikengo
OK. I got it. The engineering mode was a little tricky. I didn't notice the extra settings until I move downwards the menu (console knob nudge down) and there was like 10 pages of settings in the SW Settings and HW settings.

Anyway, I manage to bring out the globe (internet) and DVD Video. (See attached picture). I was not able to browse as it gave me an error "phone not support for data transfer" - or something like that. I guess need to use a phone that supports DUN (Dial Up Networking). Will let everyone know my test result when I get to borrow an E51 phone later.

As for the DVD, I manage to play a DVD disc but it has an error displayed on the screen. (See attached picture). Audio for Scene 1,2,3,4,5... was available. Only thing is picture is missing. Does anyone know for this NTG 4.5, do I need to install extra module in order to play the video on the screen?

Oh BTW, please note that every setting you change, you need to reboot the car!

on my other cars, to watch dvd your car must be in Park, but not sure about this one.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 AM

2015 C300
Any c coupe owner in Canada able to bring out the globe icon? I haven't been able to do it
Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
As far as video, is the right region code set for the DVD's you use, also, what about PAL/NTSC, etc?

If they are, then perhaps you didn't have the parking brake on. Not only do cars require you to be in park, but most also require you to have the parking brake set (that third little foot pedal on the left). So give that a try and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

2016 ATS-V
what are the settings for Sprint using PdaNet? I still get no connection with bluetooth dun enabled.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM

C250 Coupe
I did a "end call+#+*" to get back remaining 5 retries for DVD settings and perform some HU Parameter settings. As a result, the MEDIA INTERFACE was missing after reboot. I tried changing back to previous settings but it doesn't work. Still missing MEDIA INTERDACE. I can't connect my iPod now. Anyone has any idea?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Yeah. You prob factory reset with that code.

You need to go back through the config menu (not he settings) and tell it that the hdd is installed and media interface is installed.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by mikengo
I did a "end call+#+*" to get back remaining 5 retries for DVD settings and perform some HU Parameter settings. As a result, the MEDIA INTERFACE was missing after reboot. I tried changing back to previous settings but it doesn't work. Still missing MEDIA INTERDACE. I can't connect my iPod now. Anyone has any idea?
Ok, I'm back on track. Found the culprit. Reset doesn't work.

My hands were itchy to set the TGW Parameters. If you come across missing MEDIA INTERFACE, make sure your UCI is set to installed. Picture will be posted soon
Attached Thumbnails How to turn on Internet in COMAND?-photo-1.jpg   How to turn on Internet in COMAND?-photo-2.jpg   How to turn on Internet in COMAND?-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by mikengo; 01-11-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM

2009 C300 4Matic Sport...2012 C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jav_A
Any c coupe owner in Canada able to bring out the globe icon? I haven't been able to do it
Jav_A, did you ever get a reply back? I am looking for the Globe icon too on the top left of the COMAND screen. It would nice to enable that.

DW
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

2015 C300
Nope..i asked the dealership and they told me some bs about not having the Sirius package. i dont buy that, but i havnt bothered with this since most ppl haven't been able to connect to the internet even after getting the globe.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
so sorry to bump this im just really curious, where do i activate internet? I did mb services and browser but nothing came up on my globe menu

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to turn on Internet in COMAND?