How to enable the 'Text Message' System on the c250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by nomoremustang
Blackberry Torch works fine...I don't think there is an off/on position. I think it depends on the phone.
Warning about Blackberry though- it depends on your security settings. In my case my employer enforces a much more strict data encryption which means that 99% of the time I'll get the SMS notification on the COMAND system but it can't read it since the data is encrypted. I have to unlock the Blackberry using a long password (to meet the password requirements) and only then will it be able to read the SMS.

In other words it's not very useful.

To MB credit though, the quality of the voice and the great keypad/interface make teleconferencing in traffic a breeze.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by venchka
The instructions are in the manual. Follow the sequence of button pressings. When set up right, the passenger mirror tilts down to the position you set it for when you shift to Reverse. It returns to normal 10 seconds after shifting to Drive. I hope it helps.

Wayne
So you don't know how to do it?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 PM

C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by acr2001
I had tried PDANet along with other forum members and it did not work- doesn't properly support Bluetooth DUN. Did they update it? I'll have to give it another try. Thanks.

For those who asked - you have full internet access (not just MB Online) on the 2012 COMAND unit once you enable it in the engineering menu. There are a few options in there that must be turned on to get full functionality. Do a search and you will come across the thread with the details. It's all there, MBUSA just disables it within the engineering menu.
Instead of telling us to do a search why don't you tells us how to do it?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by accce
I did it back in November. The day we drove home from the dealer. Manual in one hand. Buttons in the other. It's not something I needed to remember. Yes, that is how I know how to do it. I do not rely on others to hold my hand.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 03-08-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Did anyone find out if the 2012 models can be upgraded to mbrace2 which turns on COMAND Online via its new 3G hardware? I have a late build 2011 E class that also has the same system that your cars have (NTG4.5) and the same features like Sirius Weather, etc. that I would want upgraded when Mbrace2 comes out!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Instead of telling us to do a search why don't you tells us how to do it?
Because I am busy and I do not have time to spoon feed you information. If I remembered all of the exact steps off the top of my head (I wish my memory were THAT good) I would have put that in my post. Why not just learn to use the search tool?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by mikengo
Kudos to the technical team. I finally got the DVD video appear when the speed of the car <5/km/h. The culprit was indeed the software lockdown and they have unlocked it, per my request but it's only limited to speed sensitive availability, which is a standard. I'm thankful that there are people out there that could resolve this officially and not gone underground work and resulted such beautiful car being battered up with screw marks and tampers.
I'm assuming that means they can't unlock it for higher speeds? (note: I am not from the US!)

I wonder what full online access vs. Mercedes access means in the context of having to unlock stuff in COMAND? *shrugs* Mine seems unlocked, just slow lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 PM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by JaCe88
I'm assuming that means they can't unlock it for higher speeds? (note: I am not from the US!)

I wonder what full online access vs. Mercedes access means in the context of having to unlock stuff in COMAND? *shrugs* Mine seems unlocked, just slow lol.
You can't unlock yourself of the speed limit. I'm not sure it is possible but someone posted the STAR menu saying that a threshold can be set (default is 5km/h).

If the workshop Manager is your buddy, I'm sure he can work something out.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 Sport 4Matic
Regarding receiving text messages with an iPhone it now works!!! A couple of things you need to know;
1. Need a 3GS or newer,
2. Need iOS 6,
3. Pair iPhone to car,
4. Go to settings, Bluetooth, tap on the blue arrow beside the MB connection,
5. Ensure 'notification' is on!

If your Benz can display text messages the TXT MSG on the telephone display will no longer be grayed out!

In my 13 GLK it can only display and/or read out a text but you can use SIRI to respond by voice.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

C250c
^ good info Kial. I've tried several things to make it work but never what you described.
thanks! I will try this...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM

C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by mikengo
You can't unlock yourself of the speed limit. I'm not sure it is possible but someone posted the STAR menu saying that a threshold can be set (default is 5km/h).

If the workshop Manager is your buddy, I'm sure he can work something out.
the service manager is a family friend and says they cant do it.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM

C350 Coupe 2012 (C204)
Originally Posted by Kial
Regarding receiving text messages with an iPhone it now works!!! A couple of things you need to know;
1. Need a 3GS or newer,
2. Need iOS 6,
3. Pair iPhone to car,

If your Benz can display text messages the TXT MSG on the telephone display will no longer be grayed out!

In my 13 GLK it can only display and/or read out a text but you can use SIRI to respond by voice.

You are awesome. Thanks! I asked Mercedes Service about this, but they made up some random BS saying that it only works in the states
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM

2010 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by yukikaze203
You are awesome. Thanks! I asked Mercedes Service about this, but they made up some random BS saying that it only works in the states
Thanks!! I knew it 'should' work. It worked on my iPhone but not my wife's. I tinkered with her phone until I figured out what what setting was different between the phones.

I wanted to be able to enable it at will. Glad we all win.

Be aware that it will only display a new text not any old ones.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
the service manager is a family friend and says they cant do it.
Of course it CAN be done. If someone has STAR diagnostics you can change the speed limit parameter. However, this is illegal and your family friend is not willing to do it and something a Mercedes Dealership certainly would not do. If someone wished to find someone to do this their best shot would be at finding a Third Party shop with the Star Diagnostics system, or to buy the box that you put between the cable in your comand system that fools the system into thinking the car is in park (allowing full functionality, even when driving).
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM

C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by jctevere
Of course it CAN be done. If someone has STAR diagnostics you can change the speed limit parameter. However, this is illegal and your family friend is not willing to do it and something a Mercedes Dealership certainly would not do. If someone wished to find someone to do this their best shot would be at finding a Third Party shop with the Star Diagnostics system, or to buy the box that you put between the cable in your comand system that fools the system into thinking the car is in park (allowing full functionality, even when driving).
How sells these boxes?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM

2012 Red C250 Coupe, 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 1960 Beechcraft Bonanza
Smile IPhone text

@kial...

Thanks for the tips on texting. At first I thought you meant changing the settings on the car. It was for the phone. Works good now. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM

C250c
yup i see new text messages appear and it even reads the message to you. I love this feature.

Thanks for the help Kial!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 AM

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport
You know what, it didn't work with my iPhone 5 from the very beginning (after it has been paired), but eventually it started working! I think it happened once I disabled the auto lock feature on the phone. Remember: the iPhone will not allow any device to read text messages as long as the feature to hide text messages when locked in enabled. SO, if you want to test it, make sure your phone is ready and passcode-free while you test it.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 AM

213 C250 Coupe
Thank you it works on my iPhone 5! Is there a way to make it read the message automatically instead of scrolling to open and read aloud?

Originally Posted by Kial
1. Need a 3GS or newer,
2. Need iOS 6,
3. Pair iPhone to car,

Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 AM

213 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by firasq87
You know what, it didn't work with my iPhone 5 from the very beginning (after it has been paired), but eventually it started working! I think it happened once I disabled the auto lock feature on the phone. Remember: the iPhone will not allow any device to read text messages as long as the feature to hide text messages when locked in enabled. SO, if you want to test it, make sure your phone is ready and passcode-free while you test it.
It's the other way around. If your phone is screen is ON then you're obviously looking at your phone and operating it so it figures there is no need to link the message to the car. If your phone screen is OFF then it will send the txt message to the vehicle.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM

2001 Honda S2000 / 2013 C250 Sport+
turn the car on, put the car in reverse, set the passenger side mirror to how you want it when you're reversing, set it to the seat memory button you use and you're good to go.

or at least im pretty sure thats how i did it lol
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by crdcz03
turn the car on, put the car in reverse, set the passenger side mirror to how you want it when you're reversing, set it to the seat memory button you use and you're good to go.

or at least im pretty sure thats how i did it lol
When I set mine- I didn't assign it to a Memory location. Anytime time my car is in Reverse regardless of Memory Locatons- the mirror tilts.
If you have Keyless Go- you need to remove the Button and make sure the key is in the Second Position (Not Running).

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 04-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
When I set mine- I didn't assign it to a Memory location. Anytime time my car is in Reverse regardless of Memory Locatons- the mirror tilts.
If you have Keyless Go- you need to remove the Button and make sure the key is in the Second Position (Not Running).
i think maybe i just set the memory anyways then lol

as far as keyless go goes, you can leave the button in, just push it twice without your foot on the brake
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by crdcz03
i think maybe i just set the memory anyways then lol

as far as keyless go goes, you can leave the button in, just push it twice without your foot on the brake
Good to know! I really don't like removing the button.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Good to know! I really don't like removing the button.
lol, first time i tried to start the car i didnt have my foot on the brake...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to enable the 'Text Message' System on the c250