MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   Open windows and whistling noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/436210-open-windows-whistling-noise.html)

hellasmania219 02-22-2012 05:55 PM

Open windows and whistling noise

when i have both windows open and especially when i also open the glass roof, i get extreme whistling from wither driver or passenger side from the wind that comes in at an angle.

it almost sounds like the air passes over the side pillar or seat belt mechanism and creates a loud whistling noise.

i haven't inspected any closer, but does anyone have similar issue?

2012 C350 Coupe

GuOD 02-22-2012 05:55 PM

Yes, I have this same wind noise. It's actually pretty loud/bad when going 70km or faster

I think closing the sunroof helped

johnny--2k 02-22-2012 06:52 PM

yup, just a characteristic of the car and the placement of everything unfortunately...

hellasmania219 02-24-2012 03:00 PM

maybe it was too cold in Germany to test the Coupe with the windows open:(

it is rather loud, yet i guess we can crank up the music!

Kevin82 02-24-2012 08:52 PM

Yes got that whistle today driving 45-50 mph windows all the way down. First time I heard it. Not sure if it was windy outside.

johnny--2k 02-25-2012 12:00 PM

it is worse depending on how windy it is outside as well.

bhcubed 10-16-2012 04:08 PM

yup, i rarely drive with my windows down because of this. it's very annoying. Anyone, have any ideas on how to remedy this? I've thought about sticking a rag or something in there, but that would look just horrible, lol.

JohnnyUte 10-17-2012 03:14 AM

Same here and it usually happens when I have all three windows open (err two and roof). I tried closing the windows partially and it didn't really do anything. So annoying but at least the AC is good.

Bruep 10-22-2012 06:43 PM

I have noticed that the louder the noise is, the stronger the air is coming from the rear seat forward. I believe it is the wind blowing foward past the seatbelt loop that is the cause. Have thought about putting some painters tape on or near it to see. So far this is the only thing this former honda owner truly dislikes about this car.

Bruep 10-24-2012 04:59 PM

I was wrong. Nothing to do with where seatbelt comes out of b pillar. had a freind cover it and noise continued. He believes it is where the window seal meets the inner door frame trip. planning to test with tape.

Bruep 11-02-2012 06:58 PM

I believe I have found the spot on the door that makes the noise. If some one more advanced than me can tell me how to post a picture, I will show you where the noise is coming from and what I did to fix it.

jctevere 11-08-2012 12:51 AM

Hey Bruep, thanks for your help in hunting down this noise... The simplest way to upload a picture is to just use a site like http://imgur.com/ and just upload your picture and provide us with the link (you don't need to register for that site and its free). Also, if you want it to show up directly in your post without others having to click on the link, when you copy the link into your post, follow this format: "[img](your url here)[/img]"

hellasmania219 11-25-2012 02:06 PM

any updates on those pics...im interested in finding out more info on this matter, thanks

DK23 11-25-2012 05:55 PM

Any update?? The wind whistle is very bothersome and ruins driving in nice weather. I'm very interested in pinning down the source.

Igor1080 11-30-2012 12:12 AM

It happens on other coupes as well. Including the Hyundai Genesis for which this is a known issue. No big deal just raise the windows a little and it goes away, or turn on the music. I rarely drive without music anyhow.

DK23 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

Raising the window various amounts did not seem to work in the instances that I have the window down.

jctevere 11-30-2012 03:40 PM

Raising the window a bit seemed to help the noise, but it did not eliminate it entirely. Also, it doesn't happen anymore in colder weather which I find odd (yes, I sometimes drive with my windows down in 30-40 degree weather - not celcius).

I'm fairly certain that it is gap where the seat belts come out of, but the other poster seemed to suggest otherwise.

DK23 11-30-2012 05:57 PM

The only way I could eliminate the whistling was to put my hand up against the windshield pillar to deflect air away from entering the window area. In my cases, no amount of adjusting window roll up or down, made any difference. The worst whistling was when there is some ambient cross wind, like driving along the beach. Perhaps the "hand deflector" affected the seat belt mounting area, but moving the seat belt around in that area didn't affect the noise.

Granite230K 11-30-2012 06:07 PM

Maybe we should all stick on Mitsu EVO style roof diffuser vanes on our A-Pillars. Just kidding! I hope there is a way to fix it as it is really annoying on nice days.

Not sure how they missed that one during testing...

BeaverMjr 05-30-2013 08:47 PM

what no picture? I too experience the whistling. It sounds like a bird is hanging out behind my seat.

what is the fix?

Mike