MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   iPhone 5 compatibility and USB to iPod Interface Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/463550-iphone-5-compatibility-usb-ipod-interface-question.html)

Igor1080 09-14-2012 04:15 AM

iPhone 5 compatibility and USB to iPod Interface Question

I just pre-ordered the iphone 5. I'm really concerned though, regarding this news that the ipod out will not work for existing ipod kits in cars. No mention of Mercedes so far because Apple caters to BMW drivers first (an indication of their elite douchiness). http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...s-in-the-dust/

Has anyone here tried connecting their iphone 4 or 4S to the car in order to use with the ipod integration we have? How well does it work?

This is a major concern for me regarding this phone because I need to use the iphone adapter to change songs or playlists while driving, otherwise I'm at risk of getting pulled over if I use my phone to change songs. Not to mention thats why we paid for the damn thing in the first place. :nix:

Flyer155 09-14-2012 09:29 AM

iPhone 4S work just fine in my car. Songs are displayed correctly on the Comand and instrument cluster screens and operation through the buttons on the central console and steering wheel is with no issue.

gei 09-14-2012 04:05 PM

Iphone 4/4s work excellently with the ipod integration in our cars. I would HATE to lose this functionality - in fact i will avoid buying the iphone 5 just for this reason.

tehroonieh MD 09-14-2012 05:26 PM

I think you have to buy that converter which converts from the 30 pin dock connector to the 9 pin dock connector, and it should work the same in theory.

ags 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

iPhone 5 lightning

I think that the issue is the lightning connector, which the 4 and 4s do not. My 2012 E350 has the Mercedes 30 pin cable in it. According to Apple's website the adaptor does not work for video or for iPod mode. The way I would read this is that the iPhone 5 will not work through the command system until there is a new cable to plug in. It would be interesting to hear how it works once someone has the iPhone 5 in hand.

viZual 09-14-2012 07:44 PM

The Lightning connector to 30-pin adapter should make it work without a hitch.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter#overview

"Overview section: This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported."

As our cars never supported Video, the "information" should travel the same as if it were an iPhone 4s/4.

cavasotti 09-14-2012 09:27 PM

it wont work with that stupid adapter.. we are ****ed. and I am pissed off.. there will be a decent adapter soon that will support iPod Out.. I hope.. the $29 dollar apple one wont support iPod Out..

gei 09-14-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by viZual (Post 5358422)
The Lightning connector to 30-pin adapter should make it work without a hitch.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter#overview

"Overview section: This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported."

As our cars never supported Video, the "information" should travel the same as if it were an iPhone 4s/4.

No. The adapter does NOT support ipod out. Hopefully there will be a solution to this shortly.

Igor1080 09-14-2012 11:19 PM

Let me clarify. I have an iPhone 4 and I use the 30 pin iPod connection kit in order to listen to music. My question was whether or not the USB will allow us to use the iphone in the same way the 30 pin cable does. I checked in the car today and it does not. BMW, Infiniti and many other manufacturers don't use 30 Pin cables to connect ipod or iphone devices.

We're doubly f*cked because not only does the 9 pin lightning bolt connector not support ipod out but our cars also do not support the use of standard USB cables to play music. This is really frustrating because I pre-ordered the iphone last night and I intend on upgrading obviously.

cavasotti 09-14-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Igor1080 (Post 5358653)
Let me clarify. I have an iPhone 4 and I use the 30 pin iPod connection kit in order to listen to music. My question was whether or not the USB will allow us to use the iphone in the same way the 30 pin cable does. I checked in the car today and it does not. BMW, Infiniti and many other manufacturers don't use 30 Pin cables to connect ipod or iphone devices.

We're doubly f*cked because not only does the 9 pin lightning bolt connector not support ipod out but our cars also do not support the use of standard USB cables to play music. This is really frustrating because I pre-ordered the iphone last night and I intend on upgrading obviously.

it is not the new connector that doesnt support ipod out. the Adapter for the new connector does not support ipod out. my mercedes has the "old" 30pin connector coming out of the arm rest, that will be now useless as far as playing music. it will, however, charge the iphone 5 with the adapter. we will have to use the AUX cable that also comes in the armrest..
sucks big time..

Igor1080 09-15-2012 12:33 AM

As far as I'm aware iPod out is not supported in any case. Only in new devices that are compatible with the signal that the 9 pin connector sends out, i.e. f*ccking nothing because the device just came out :wall:

Basically nothing that exists short of a computer right now will support this new connector and have the ability to receive tracklisting and album cover info. Thats the downside to having less of these pins, I don't see any upside whatsoever. The article below states that the smaller size allows for apple to make a slimmer phone, obviously at the cost of all this nonsense. Who knows what the new cable will cost from Mercedes directly.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168...s_for_you.html

jctevere 09-15-2012 05:07 PM

Well, you still have bluetooth audio streaming which works great. Also, I believe from what I have read that the dock WILL play music, you just won't get the same song information as you previously would.

Blessed_Badger 09-15-2012 05:17 PM

Personally I'd do what I've done for the last year with my iPhone 4 (soon to be replaced with iPhone 5).

As I can't be bothered getting the phone out of my pocket, plugging it in etc everytime, I used an old (that old its still HDD based!) iPod and left it in my car.

However the HDD causes problems with it not being able to keep up with the Comand instructions (select any artist that doesn't begin with A and it could take a few seconds - finding tracks by the Zutons considerably longer) so - I've just bought a faulty (flash based) iPod touch (£20) off eBay! Faulty in that the screen is missing a few lines of pixels - but, as it's in the armrest no one will see it! There's loads of working ones with faulty screens / backlights etc on eBay for less than the price of a couple or so albums.

My iPhone connects via Bluetooth (and i assume the 5 will too) for calls and if it needs charging (which from my understanding the new iPhone 5 can still do with original lead we're all using plus the adaptor) I just listen to some random stuff I've got on a USB drive (also in the arm rest) or the radio!

Igor1080 09-15-2012 06:41 PM

Not to sound arrogant but you guys are missing the point. I don't want to have to work around the issue created by apple, I think it was a mistake to change the connector and not address this issue. The whole point of this thread was to get more info about how to fix the issue, using only the iphone and only cables or adapters.

wally AMG 09-15-2012 07:35 PM

Maybe China will made this adapters before Iphone 5 hit the market....

cavasotti 09-15-2012 07:37 PM

funny thing is that on the keynote from the event, they show the iphone with the adapter in a car and he says you can plug in your car and charge it and play your music.. #misleading

Igor1080 09-15-2012 07:38 PM

Yeah people have pointed out as well that the Audi in the picture has an Ipod connection cable in front of the shifter and not coming from the glove compartment as seen in the keynote.

bigben320e 09-15-2012 10:51 PM

From a fellow member on MBWorld, he sent this link take it for what it is worth:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09...ning-bmw-mini/

Another one from WhattheHIFI

I had to read that second article twice, had me doing a double take. I have an iPod and iPod kit, so if I move to the new iPod with lighting I lose my controls on the steering wheel or what? Sounds like even with the adapter, if you have a 200X-2013 model MB with the iPod kit, are you screwed on full functions if you buy one of the new generation devices? I want to make sure I am interpreting this correctly.

What's that saying...caveat emptor?

jctevere 09-16-2012 12:51 AM

I understand your frustration, but its really not the end of the world. The previous apple docking system was a P.O.S. I needed to get my cable replaced in my 2012 C250 for the third time already because the cable stopped working. I also needed to replace one iPhone and one iHome (separate events) due to issues with the connectors.

It was due for an upgrade. A new dock connector cable will come out for in car integration kits. Until then, bluetooth audio is more then sufficient. You can still control it from your steering wheel or comand knob too, just not as much control as far as selecting a song, etc. But will at least hold me over well enough until a more permanent solution comes along.

With that said, I have reached out to some people at MBUSA to find out more about this issue. Stay tuned!

bigben320e 09-16-2012 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5359649)
I understand your frustration, but its really not the end of the world. The previous apple docking system was a P.O.S. I needed to get my cable replaced in my 2012 C250 for the third time already because the cable stopped working. I also needed to replace one iPhone and one iHome (separate events) due to issues with the connectors.

It was due for an upgrade. A new dock connector cable will come out for in car integration kits. Until then, bluetooth audio is more then sufficient. You can still control it from your steering wheel or comand knob too, just not as much control as far as selecting a song, etc. But will at least hold me over well enough until a more permanent solution comes along.

With that said, I have reached out to some people at MBUSA to find out more about this issue. Stay tuned!

You got that right, its not the end of the world. The iPod kit that I have in my CLS is rather awesome, no complaints. I am just going to stick with my iPod I currently have and call it a day.

I would like to hear what you find out...interesting.

2012c250coupe 09-22-2012 03:26 PM

My iphone 5 will not recognize my c250 bluetooth :S
Any idea why? Can anyone help?

cavasotti 09-22-2012 09:38 PM

i had my 4S named as Dudu's iPhone, I restored the 5 from the backup which named the same way. when I tried to pair the phone in my C350 it didnt work for some reason. I renamed the iphone 5 to Dudu's iPhone 5, and it pair right away..

2012c250coupe 09-23-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by cavasotti (Post 5368062)
i had my 4S named as Dudu's iPhone, I restored the 5 from the backup which named the same way. when I tried to pair the phone in my C350 it didnt work for some reason. I renamed the iphone 5 to Dudu's iPhone 5, and it pair right away..

Thank you very much. Did the same thing. After a few mins of searching it found it.

jctevere 09-24-2012 12:03 AM

I didn't have any problems and didn't have the change the name or anything. What I would suggest (is what I did) is to delete the old profile for your older iPhone, then search for bluetooth phones and pair up.

bigben320e 09-24-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5369112)
I didn't have any problems and didn't have the change the name or anything. What I would suggest (is what I did) is to delete the old profile for your older iPhone, then search for bluetooth phones and pair up.

I was pretty sure the Bluetooth part would work, but how does the iPod functionality work? Can you use your steering wheel controls?