MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   2012 C250C emission recall? Anyone else? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/466851-2012-c250c-emission-recall-anyone-else.html)

Rubi1999 10-12-2012 06:18 PM

2012 C250C emission recall? Anyone else?

Hi all,

Today I've received a letter from Daimler telling me that my car is included in the affected population of vehicles that have a defect regarding motor vehicle emissions.

The letter says that my vehicule was assembled with the European specification combustion engine and that the car doesn't meet emission regulation for North America. It says that the dealer needs to work on the car for 1-2 days to get the car conform.

Is anyone aware of the recall? I don't know which parts they need to change to get it conform as 1-2 days seems a long delay to me.

Kevin82 10-13-2012 03:40 PM

Have not heard of this. Please detail when and where you purchased your car. I think there is a date when the car was manufactured on the door sticker too--if you can kindly give that to us too. Thanks

jctevere 10-13-2012 04:18 PM

I believe that this recall is only related to Canadian spec models. USA models are unaffected.

Rubi1999 10-14-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5392985)
I believe that this recall is only related to Canadian spec models. USA models are unaffected.

Yes it's only for CAD models (I think) with the 1,8L eve engine. The car was manufactured on October 2011 at the Bremen factory

mnemo 10-15-2012 06:58 AM

Nothing to contribute, except that I'm reading and writing this in Bremen. It's kinda funny. ;-)

Cheers
Thomas

33andathird 10-15-2012 03:27 PM

I got the same letter too for my 250 sedan. I does seem strange that it will take up to 2 days to repair. I hope that doesn't mean that they turn down the boost on it.

samin1972 10-15-2012 06:01 PM

Yea, just got the letter this afternoon. Not sure what they are going to be doing, but hope that they are not going to turn down that boost! That would not be a good thing!

I emailed my sales rep to get some info, will let you guys know if he gives any idea of what they are going to be doing.

33andathird 10-17-2012 03:40 PM

I set my appointment for Nov. 1. I guess we'll see what they do. At least they are providing a loaner.

samin1972 10-17-2012 07:57 PM

Let me know how it goes. My sales rep said that it may or may not be necessary, but the car has to go for its 1st service in a 2000-3000kms, so I may wait till then!

33andathird 11-01-2012 12:24 PM

Dropped it off this morning. Looks like it may dial back the power a bit. A fuel valve may need to be replaced, it sounds like some of the 250's with this euro spec issue are running too rich to use with N.A gasoline. He mentioned that some people have complained about a smell of fuel when starting up their vehicles, especially if they keep their car in the garage.

I was told that there is no way around the recall (unless you avoid the dealer completely) and that if the work is not done, the car absolutely will not pass an emissions test.

Once I get it back, I will update if there is any noticeable difference.

Cheers.

Kevin82 11-01-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 33andathird (Post 5416304)
Dropped it off this morning. Looks like it may dial back the power a bit. A fuel valve may need to be replaced, it sounds like some of the 250's with this euro spec issue are running too rich to use with N.A gasoline. He mentioned that some people have complained about a smell of fuel when starting up their vehicles, especially if they keep their car in the garage.

I was told that there is no way around the recall (unless you avoid the dealer completely) and that if the work is not done, the car absolutely will not pass an emissions test.

Once I get it back, I will update if there is any noticeable difference.

Cheers.

I've noticed that mine smells like fuel on startup also in USA spec...

Rubi1999 11-01-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks for your reply guys !

Yeah on my side the exhaust is pretty dark and the oil seems to darken faster than my last C300.

I'm about 3500 miles from the first service, I think I'll wait at this moment to do the recall. Unless someone tells me that it can affect engine reliability....

Cheers

RickOttawa 11-05-2012 08:00 PM

Got my recall notice and started this thread a couple weeks ago.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...ion-issue.html

Waiting to hear what is done and how it affects performance and mileage. Won't be pleased if either go down.

Can't wait to hear from the people who had the recall done. Right now no gas smell from my car at all.