250 vs 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Originally Posted by DameMD
The 335i was my absolute choice when picking up a car in this segment however, I knew I would get in trouble with that car as there are too many modifications out there to make that car go much faster than stock. I knew the mod bug would hit me and I needed to slow down for a few years. The new 328i performance figures are underated by BMW and that car is a beast stock. I would be in that car right now. Just a year too late to the showroom. I am perfectly fine with the c250 for right now. I just wish MB hurries up and play catch up with engine displacement and power. If we can get a 2.0 turbo and at least 250hp+ and up the torque, MB will keep me when my lease is up. Even Infiniti is adding a turbo engine to the g-line.
I can't wait until the new G lineup is out, it's gonna be awesome I hope. Autoblog said likely spring 2013 is the release time, right around the NY auto show debut. The G's are definitely getting old as hell.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190 evoII replica
So I did some calculation on the Mercedes US and Mercedes Belgium website. A C250, with the same options, costs $53.129 in the US and in Belgium $75.745... And I'm not even talking about taxes, first registration, insurance and gasoline prices in Belgium. A C350 is roughly $10.000 more than a C250. Then I'd rather have a tuned C250 cgi (I love tuning and working on my cars) then a C350 which is also more expensive in taxes and insurance. I can afford a C350. But I just like tuning my car and I don't like giving the government my money.

A C250 with its turbo is better tuneable then a NA C350. Especially in Belgium with its strict technical inspection. You can't tune an engine. But since the C250 already has an intercooler and turbo. You can easily swap it for a better one without getting noticed.

So for the price of a C250 cgi in Belgium, I can get an C63 AMG in the US... So this 250vs350 hating is just stupid... Every person has to look if he wants to spend that amount of money, where he lives and if he loves tuning cars. This thread was made to compare the cars. Not the owners....

And to the people saying that the C250 is turning into a Honda Civic because people want to tune them. There are lots of people and companies still tuning their AMG's. It just depends from what kind of person you are.

Stop hating...
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 AM

213 C250 Coupe
I should have gotten a 2013 Audi A5 only one week of ownership and already have buyer's remorse
Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 AM

Jetta 1.8T
Originally Posted by kkd79
I should have gotten a 2013 Audi A5 only one week of ownership and already have buyer's remorse
how come?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:53 AM

213 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by roger_C350
how come?
The new facelift 2013 A5 is very nice. Actually I didn't research on the C250 coupe competitors; I saw it, liked it, and bought it.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
I don't understand how you could really not have known what the car was gonna be like? I test drove the car one time and it's pretty much exactly what I expected.

Don't get me wrong the A5 is a beautiful car but it's nowhere near the same price as a C250 as far as leasing. So for those of us who lease or finance, the pricing is like a $150-200 a month difference for a car that doesnt justify spending that much money.

If I was paying $500+ a month I could have gotten a much much better car than a c250 or an A5 for that matter. For instance an F30 body 335i which would beat the brakes off of either car.

What is it that you don't like?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 AM

213 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Igor1080
I don't understand how you could really not have known what the car was gonna be like? I test drove the car one time and it's pretty much exactly what I expected.

Don't get me wrong the A5 is a beautiful car but it's nowhere near the same price as a C250 as far as leasing. So for those of us who lease or finance, the pricing is like a $150-200 a month difference for a car that doesnt justify spending that much money.

If I was paying $500+ a month I could have gotten a much much better car than a c250 or an A5 for that matter. For instance an F30 body 335i which would beat the brakes off of either car.

I'm just an indecisive girl you're right I would have to pay way more for the A5, I got a pretty decent deal on my C250
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I'm just an indecisive girl you're right I would have to pay way more for the A5, I got a pretty decent deal on my C250
Not only would you have to pay more, but I would worry about quality and reliability - even on a new car. My sister got a 2012 A5 not too long ago. The car had about 530 miles on the clock, and the engine oil low warning came on. My sister checked it and the dipstick was BONE dry. She unscrewed the oil cap and a rush of hot air and steam started coming out. Added 4 quarts and drove to the nearest dealer.

Turns out she had a valve cover gasket leak. That's just ridiculous to have something with that issue roll off the assembly line. What's worse is that they didn't seem to care. I would think that there is serious internal engine wear and/or compromised internals from no oil. The light only comes on (to my knowledge) when the oil pump isn't getting any oil...

Volkswagen/Audi just replaced it and said "you're good to go". My sister tried hard to get a new car since she BOUGHT it and didn't lease it. However, they didn't want to do anything.

Luckily my sister knew the GM at another local dealership who (out of kindness) wrote an extended warranty for powertrain for 6 years/100,000 miles. But that has no affiliation with the company or their product quality...

I definitely wouldn't have buyer's remorse. The A5 is a good looking car, but the refresh is certainly very minor, and I believe you only get the "better looking" updates with the lighting package. Not to mention their QC and reliability is garbage. Everyone at the dealership is very "snobbish" too, definitely not a good first experience with Audi for my family. Experience with Mercedes-Benz and their products has been phenomenal.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by Igor1080

Exactly, audi lease rates suck. The A5 is nice but I don't see what makes it that much better than the c250 other than subjective looks.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The new facelift 2013 A5 is very nice. Actually I didn't research on the C250 coupe competitors; I saw it, liked it, and bought it.
I'm just an indecisive girl
Please don't try to hide behind gender. Women's brains are just as capable of making an educated and informed decision as men's. If cars happen not to be of interest to you (or anyone else, regardless of gender) and you are just holding a beauty contest, perhaps you might either decide to educate yourself on the important facts behind car ownership or consult a friend who can help you with information as objectively as possible. Once you pick a top few cars which are worth buying for their overall substance, then pick the one which looks best to you and you can afford. Beauty is only skin deep...never the first reason for any decision other than buying art. Meanwhile, you can keep or dispose of the C250, but don't make yourself miserable about it...life is too short.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 PM

213 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Please don't try to hide behind gender. Women's brains are just as capable of making an educated and informed decision as men's. If cars happen not to be of interest to you (or anyone else, regardless of gender) and you are just holding a beauty contest, perhaps you might either decide to educate yourself on the important facts behind car ownership or consult a friend who can help you with information as objectively as possible. Once you pick a top few cars which are worth buying for their overall substance, then pick the one which looks best to you and you can afford. Beauty is only skin deep...never the first reason for any decision other than buying art. Meanwhile, you can keep or dispose of the C250, but don't make yourself miserable about it...life is too short.
My indecisive girl comment was just a joke, well at least to me. Anyway I've spoke with a few Audi dealers and the price they were asking for is not worth it for me to switch over. It's Black Friday and I'm out shopping, I'm thinking I need to buy to truck to bring all my stuff home....jk
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM

2013 Black C250 Sport+
Our C250's are just as good as any Audi A5's, if not better. Take it from a former Audi owner. And Audi's residual values are crap, I took such a hit when I sold my two Audi's. I took meticulous care of my 2012 S4 with proper break-in and everything and it still burnt oil. Same as the Q5. I would never own an Audi or any VW product out of warranty. You are just asking for it. Something is inherently wrong with the design of their engines. Brand new engines should never burn oil. I feel like the Benz's are built much better. Can't say anything about BMW, never drove one. But I did see the new X1 today and it looked great! I'd definitely drive one if I needed a little hatchback/wagon. It's awfully small though especially in the trunk. I wonder if a family with one baby can use that car. My wife wants one when we have a baby.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Muray
Our C250's are just as good as any Audi A5's, if not better. Take it from a former Audi owner. And Audi's residual values are crap, I took such a hit when I sold my two Audi's. I took meticulous care of my 2012 S4 with proper break-in and everything and it still burnt oil. Same as the Q5. I would never own an Audi or any VW product out of warranty. You are just asking for it. Something is inherently wrong with the design of their engines. Brand new engines should never burn oil. I feel like the Benz's are built much better. Can't say anything about BMW, never drove one. But I did see the new X1 today and it looked great! I'd definitely drive one if I needed a little hatchback/wagon. It's awfully small though especially in the trunk. I wonder if a family with one baby can use that car. My wife wants one when we have a baby.
I would seriously look at the new GLA that's coming out (competitor to the X1 from Mercedes). The BMW's are just overpriced if you ask me, and have bland interiors and questionable exterior design.

You are 100% spot on with Volkswagen/Audi quality. My sister got rid of her 2011 C300 4matic after her 24 month lease. Had 30,000 miles trouble free and got a 2013 brand new Jetta.

Less than 500 miles on the odometer and her Jetta displayed the check engine oil warning. She checked - dip stick was BONE DRY! Ridiculous. She added 4 quarts of oil and dropped it off at the nearest dealership. Turns out it was leaking from the valve cover gasket. She doesn't even want the vehicle anymore since it had such a serious issue right from the start. Not to mention that she had bought this vehicle and is very worried about the longevity and future reliability of the engine.

However, in the end she settled with a free extended 6 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. But certainly not a "trouble free" ownership.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Some serious rationalization going on in this thread. Very entertaining. Keep it open!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
^^^ All the subjective looks/appeal part of the discussion above aside as it is a personal choice on that part of it, there does seem to be a World wide recognition of VW group or the VAG group of vehicles suffering the same known mechanical faults and problems across there model ranges as they all share the same mechanical parts bin, except for the higher end Audi models which run Lambo hardware.

I too have experienced mechanical and electrical faults with previous Audis and I know alot of people with VW's that have quirky problems all the time.

Audi resale is also of major concern here in Australia, of the 3 mentioned German prestige brands it suffers the highest depreciation, MB the least