My C250 coupe build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
no offense, but for the cost, id expect a deeper growl, not sure if i really notice much difference to warrant the upgrade.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 Coupe
I have enjoyed every word of this build. One of the most interesting things I have read in ages!

For those complaining about the exhaust sound - you have the BMS intake don't you? This would definitely make a difference. The intake turbo woosh probably reduces the ability to hear the exhaust growl via a video. Sounds very cool. I'm not a typically a fan of 4 cylinder sounds, but the Benz ones sound pretty good and your mods make it sound even better.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190 evoII replica
@100degrees: This is the sport version. There is no drone what so ever :-)

@paleface: Yes the exhaust isn't loud. It's because it has to pass the Belgian technical inspection where the also measure the dB an exhaust makes. I will be removing the center resonator in the future. I can put this back when I have to go to the technical inspection.

@angeloxnet: You are totally right, the sound is a bit deeper then stock. But it isn't any louder at all. But this is because it's the sport version, not the sprint. I need a homologated (sport is homologated) exhaust to pass the technical inspection in Belgium. We will see what deleting the central resonator brings, sound wise.

@Blickling: Thank you for your kind words :-) I'm flattered! Yes, I have the BMS intake, but I will be replacing it. I am probably going to dyno my car with stock and BMS air filter to see the outcome, imho it just draws in hot air but sounds great. As for the sound of the exhaust, the problem with our cars (and other 4 cylinder turbo engines) and exhausts is that we have 3 sound restrictors. The turbo, the catalyst and the central resonator. I'm just waiting until my turbo and catalyst are modified to reconsider the sound. But I will probably be removing the central resonator :-)

For all you guys waiting on the performance upgrades... The new ECU will be arriving any day now. And we will be trying different sizes of intercooler cores this Saturday! I will also be discussing the production of a small amount of intercoolers (like 10 intercoolers) if people are interested. No need to PM or reply here. I will make a seperate group buy thread.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
Car sounds sick man. Cant wait to see what the new ecu & intercooler do to the performance of this car.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 190Benz
@100degrees: This is the sport version. There is no drone what so ever :-)

@paleface: Yes the exhaust isn't loud. It's because it has to pass the Belgian technical inspection where the also measure the dB an exhaust makes. I will be removing the center resonator in the future. I can put this back when I have to go to the technical inspection.

@angeloxnet: You are totally right, the sound is a bit deeper then stock. But it isn't any louder at all. But this is because it's the sport version, not the sprint. I need a homologated (sport is homologated) exhaust to pass the technical inspection in Belgium. We will see what deleting the central resonator brings, sound wise.

@Blickling: Thank you for your kind words :-) I'm flattered! Yes, I have the BMS intake, but I will be replacing it. I am probably going to dyno my car with stock and BMS air filter to see the outcome, imho it just draws in hot air but sounds great. As for the sound of the exhaust, the problem with our cars (and other 4 cylinder turbo engines) and exhausts is that we have 3 sound restrictors. The turbo, the catalyst and the central resonator. I'm just waiting until my turbo and catalyst are modified to reconsider the sound. But I will probably be removing the central resonator :-)

For all you guys waiting on the performance upgrades... The new ECU will be arriving any day now. And we will be trying different sizes of intercooler cores this Saturday! I will also be discussing the production of a small amount of intercoolers (like 10 intercoolers) if people are interested. No need to PM or reply here. I will make a seperate group buy thread.

Please do post a vid after the resonator delete, Im curious about that one!

As far as the intake, I am not really interested in drawing in hot engine air in vs the RAM design from factory which serves its purpose.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 AM

190 evoII replica
@tmrdc5: there are going to be more engine upgrades but I am also looking forward to it :-)

@angeloxnet: I will probably be deleting the resonator this summer so I will get back to you then. I installed the filter only for the sound. Once my engine was upgraded I would replace it with the stock or direct intake system. My tuner said that the OEM intake isn't a problem with all the bends. I might modify the plate where the hood closes with a little scoop towards the air intake hole behind the front grill. Like the TTM scoops for a E55.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@tmrdc5: there are going to be more engine upgrades but I am also looking forward to it :-)

@angeloxnet: I will probably be deleting the resonator this summer so I will get back to you then. I installed the filter only for the sound. Once my engine was upgraded I would replace it with the stock or direct intake system. My tuner said that the OEM intake isn't a problem with all the bends. I might modify the plate where the hood closes with a little scoop towards the air intake hole behind the front grill. Like the TTM scoops for a E55.
it would be interesting if there is a shop or someone who can fabcricate a cold air intake that can draw air from the lower mesh or maybe construct a freer flowing airbox using the RAM design.

Cant wait till u remove the resonator, i did it on my c300 and it was well worth it
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 AM

190 evoII replica
@angeloxnet: I will be looking into a cold air intake or an air intake like the Revozport version for the C63 but with only 1 lower intake scooping in air behind the grill on the left side because there will be an oilcooler on the right side. I had my car on the bridge Saturday. I noticed that have an extra resonator... So I have the factory cat, factory resonator, Eisenmann 1 in -2 out dampener and then 2 end damepeners. This is just to many :-p My next post will solve this.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM

190 evoII replica
So I went to KCPerformance on Saturday to discuss the coming fabrication on my car. As I said to angeloxnet I still have the factory cat, factory resonator, Eisenmann 1 in -2 out dampener and then 2 end dampeners with big AMG style tips. We will be replacing the cat with a 200cell cat and delete the factory resonator.

We also tested some sizes of intercoolers. One of these two will be used. We are looking into getting the couplers CNC made so that we can use the OEM hoses.

Oilcooler will be fitted behind the grill next to the distronic eye.

I also ordered my oil catch can today. I will post pics when it arrives. My car will probably be at KCPerformane in 2 weeks .
Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it's like christmas! nice seeing it all come together
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
So I went to KCPerformance on Saturday to discuss the coming fabrication on my car. As I said to angeloxnet I still have the factory cat, factory resonator, Eisenmann 1 in -2 out dampener and then 2 end dampeners with big AMG style tips. We will be replacing the cat with a 200cell cat and delete the factory resonator.

We also tested some sizes of intercoolers. One of these two will be used. We are looking into getting the couplers CNC made so that we can use the OEM hoses.

Oilcooler will be fitted behind the grill next to the distronic eye.

I also ordered my oil catch can today. I will post pics when it arrives. My car will probably be at KCPerformane in 2 weeks .
Fantastic, nice work again

I love your urgency and commitment to your project, I've done similar in the past not so much these days but it's inspiring to see others do a similar thing - look forward to seeing the completed vehicle which you'll have done exactly the way 'you' want it to be
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
awesome! keep the updates coming. What do you have planned for Downpipe to complete the exhaust? Also is the factory turbo a twin-scroll? if so im guessing exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipe are one pice.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM

190 evoII replica
@angeloxnet: It's almost like christmas, except that the money is coming out of my wallet instead of santa's :-D Yeah I also can't wait until all the updates are done :-) I'm stoked!

@AV1: Thanks! I have been part of builds like this in the past too. That's where I learned most of my automotive knowledge. I never had an automotive diploma. I studied Industrial Computer Technology in school. Yeah I am also looking forward to the progress. And like you say, I always do the things I want done on the car. I don't follow a crowd or pay attention to haters.

@wnunez89: The downpipe will be custom made with a 200cell kat and a resonator delete. So everything after the turbo will be replaced then. The downpipe isn't attached to the turbo. Manifold and turbo are one part. I don't know if it is a twin-scroll. Sorry. Found a picture online of what the turbo looks like. The divertor/bov is also atached to the turbo housing. I will probably be replacing this with a recirculation bov. The divertor looked the same as the ones on the 2.0 turbo VAG engines.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM

190 evoII replica
My C250 coupe build thread [UPDATE P3]

So I delivered my car to KCPerfomance this Saturday where it will be staying for 4 weeks. They got 2 extra weeks from me because I will be in Austria for a vacation the 1st week of March and I don't really have time to get my car until the next weekend after I come back. They will be working on the intercooler, 200cell catalyst, removing the OEM center resonator and making an adapter for the C63 brakes.

The ECU also arrived at their shop and will be send off to get cracked this week. They will be looking into programming a performance mapping that activates with the sport button. We are also getting more information about the A45 AMG engine now that the press release is trough. More info on that will be coming this summer. It's very hard to pace myself because we can't do all the upgrades at once :-D

On another note...

Merry Christmas guys!!!

At least today felt like Christmas to me when this package arrived. The packaging shows that the content is performance oriented. The label already gives away the content but don't let that be a letdown. It might not be a super update like a supercharger but this small piece of equipment allows your engine to breathe cleaner air and will probably lengthen the life of your engine.

Whenever you are dealing with a great manufacturer, the let down most of the time is with parts that they aren't very known for or that people don't really bother to buy. I can assure you that the top notch quality and performance increasing techniques used for their superchargers is also used on the smaller things that they sell.

So the packing of this Weistec air/oil separator is as great as their customer service. They are very friendly and correct with everything. I took at around 5 workdays to receive the package in Belgium send from California. The package is a quality UPS package with Weistec tape used to seal it. Inside the parts are surrounded by Styrofoam chips.

Every part itself is then packaged in a plastic bag to protect it from Styrofoam getting in to it.

Even the bag with little parts in it, is divided into little pockets to prevent scratches. Great detail!

I unpacked the catch can to take some better pictures as it will be installed in the coming 4 weeks with other upgrades. The top has the Weistec logo engraved in it. A nice detail if you ask me.

The couplings to the can are very high quality and a nice glossy black. Everything has a rubber seal in it so it will never leak any oil vapors into your engine compartment. The can itself has some grip lines engraved so it unscrews easier. When I was unscrewing the can I noticed that they have oiled the thread to unscrew or screw in the can... These guys have thought of everything!!

So I opened it up to take a look inside. I love that they already use the brass filter. Most catch cans don't have any filter and most guys just force a metal sponge into it. The can is really serviceable as you can also take the sponge out if you like to clean it thoroughly.

The hoses used in the kit are very high grade. We sell allot of hoses at our shop and most people want the cheap kind. This is thick hose with a fabric outer layer witch I like. I always use hose with fabric on the outside when I can because I find it easier to detect any leaks. The fabric soaks in the leaking fluid/vapors and all the dirt and dust sticks to it. So you can spot hoses that need to be replaced immediately.

A nice thing that I like is that they include the picking document used in their stock. That way you know you have all the parts needed and can double check for yourself.

I didn't unpack the couplings that came in the kit to mount the catch can to the M156/M159 engine. But they are on the same line as the oil catch can itself. High quality and build to last.

Some people might find this parts expensive for the function or just for a catch can. I think that a catch can is a must have on stock and upgraded engines. It gives you cleaner air to your intake so it saves your engine. It might be more expensive than most cans but they probably don't have a brass filter in it and aren’t provided with ALL the parts that are needed to fit it. I also like the fact that it isn't a can that breathes back to the atmosphere through a filter. The enclosed ones are better for turbo/supercharged engines.

So I can conclude that every part that is made by Weistec, even the little catch can, is very high quality. It is worth every dollar because it will keep your engine in shape, upgraded AND stock engines could use one. Mounting it to a M271 evo will be covered in the future. I will also keep a log on how much crankcase vapors the M271 evo has.

Last edited by 190Benz; 02-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
As per usual awesome stuff 190Benz
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM

BMW 325i E90
This is a great build and it is really showing us how it's done. I'm really thinking about the exhaust set-up you have and want to get one done for mine as well. Another members has a C250 coupe with dual exhaust, but he went the custom route and built it with magnaflows. Your mods are super clean and the car sounds great. This is a mercedes benz after all. I would hate it if it sounded like a Dodge Neon SRT :-)
Keep the updates comings. I'm sure there is a ton of people reading them and thinking about their own rides.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 AM

190 evoII replica
@AV1: I try my best :-) I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to cars. So I’d rather have less updates but with quality name brands then just put on heaps of cheap parts like fake scoops, AMG emblems,...

@Moerbeck: Thanks! Check out jctevere? He has a nice custom exhaust for probably half the price of mine. If I didn't need an homologated exhaust I would just make a custom setup and choose my own tips. It's cheaper and you can set it up the way you like. I agree with the sound. I don't really want an over the top sound. That's why I am also going with a recirculation divertor valve instead of a full atmospheric. The blow off sound is great on an import. Not that much on a Benz. I love to read build threads and the hands on experiences of that person. That's why I go in to all the details on every update. I like to research everything before I buy so I hope that people find this a helpfull resource. If something sucks I will write about it. That's why I am going to dyno my car with the Burger Motorsport airintake and oem filter. I like the sound but I think it just draws in hot air...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS63 AMG
Coming along nicely
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM

MB C250
Pls keep the poison going
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 AM

C350 Coupe
Again, cannot be happier reading this thread.

It's an inspiration for me and my own car. Corners shouldn't be cut with modding, particularly on a Mercedes-Benz. You want tasteful, successful mods and this thread is a great example. Can't wait to read more. I'm particularly excited about this A45 AMG 2.0 turbo influence. The A250 Sport drives really well. Good fun motor with a nice sound. If you're looking at A45 related stuff your car is going to be a weapon.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM

190 evoII replica
@Diego: Thanks!
@Project C: I'm trying to keep the updates coming :-)
@Blickling: I feel honored to be an inspiration. I feel the same, don't cheap out when working on a Mercedes. I rather do less updates from known tuners or with a bigger impact then lots of cheap updates with no impact or a little cosmetic difference like fake vents or amg emblems.

I've been skiing in Austria last week so I will be picking my car up this weekend. I will be posting pics this weekend if the weather clears up. I also received my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. So I will be recording more clips of the exhaust and stuff. I'm looking forward to using it this summer when going to the Nurburgring and maybe the Stelvio Pass.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 AM

C350 Coupe
Hey 190,

Haven't heard from you in a little while.

Eager to see how things have been going. What's been happening?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM

190 evoII replica
Hi Bickling!

Busy times at my job at the moment! I am also working on a little side project. There are some plans in the working on starting a little company that manufacters oem replacement clutches and heavy duty clutches. A little plan B for the far future

I will do a little update below!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 AM

190 evoII replica
So, here we are again!

Some parts on my car have been finished for a small month. I couldn't really find the time to update my threads between my work, training, eating and sleeping. We finished the new intercooler, oil catch can and downpipe with 200 cell race catalyst and one dampener less. Sounds a lot better!! A little video with my new GoPro Hero 3 Black will follow.

As there are no aftermarket alternatives yes for our intercoolers we took a universal one and made some adapters to fit the intercooler to the OEM piping.

This photo is taken at a bad angle but the new intercooler is twice the height of the OEM one.

Here are some pictures of the test fazes and the 3th pic is the final black mounted intercooler.

The bottom of the intercooler is as low as the bottom of the bumper. So the protective plate under the engine doesn't fit anymore. I will look into making a thicket aluminum protective plate.

We also tested the C63 brakes. In the rear, everything plug & play. In the front you will need an adaptor or C63 "pivot housing" (don't know the English word for it...) and the bearing and hub. There is one manufacturer that sells adapters for $600 a set. As I know the right people, I could probably get this done cheaper. SO after some test fitting, measuring, swearing and some more measuring I made a technical drawing of the measurements with a 3d drawing. I made a sturdy cardboard version with all the necessary holes and bends.

Then I took off the original caliper and disk so I can mount the AMG caliper to take a look at the mounting points with the test bracket without the disc. Looked right except for the space where the pads would hit.

So after cutting the space for the pads I just need to bend the shield behind the disk. So I will need to cut the shield or get a C63 version. Then I took the caliper back off and mounted the disk and caliper together. Fitted great except for a little part on the bottom where it was hitting the shield because I haven't cut it yet.

Luckily my original 18" winter wheels still fit. It's a little tight on the outside...

Also compared the disks. Original 295mm and AMG 360mm. The calipers are original 1 cylinder, AMG cylinders have 6 cilinders. The rear will be compared when I do the final mounting.

I will be making the adaptor a little bit bigger than the measurements I made because of the flexing of the cardboard or that might measurements could be slightly off. So I can get some material cnc'ed away if it doesn't fit. Adding material is a bit harder... After fine tuning the adapter and doing some safety tests I will look into getting some more adapters cnc'ed for people that also looking into doing the conversion to C63 brakes. I didn't look if the brake hoses would fit but placing new hoses isn't a big deal.

I will try getting into the downpipe and oil catch can next weekend. The weistec can can be easyily mounted with the provided gear. You just need some small things to make one hose fit.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM

C-Class Coupe 2012
Nice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C250 coupe build thread