MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   BLUE EFFICIENCY ??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/476785-blue-efficiency.html)

kkd79 01-06-2013 08:23 PM

BLUE EFFICIENCY ???

What is BLUE EFFICIENCY? I have a 2013 C250 coupe and I don't have those badges on the front fenders. Is it an additional package you have to buy?

davidwhelan3 01-06-2013 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by kkd79 (Post 5495288)
What is BLUE EFFICIENCY? I have a 2013 C250 coupe and I don't have those badges on the front fenders. Is it an additional package you have to buy?

No, they came on all models in 2012 except the AMG's. I'm assuming they are not on the 2013's because they realized people didn't like the look, I removed them off my 2012 coupe

kkd79 01-07-2013 03:07 PM

But what is it?

LouZ 01-07-2013 04:15 PM

It meets some stupid government criteria of fuel efficiency (always defaulting to "E" mode)

AV1 01-07-2013 05:05 PM

"Blue efficiency" is the MB 'stamp' and also used as a marketing tool for their latest engine range/s, mainly to do with lowered fuel consumption and emissions output, there are alot of articles on the topic like this one for example:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...ncy-first-view

They've especially cleaned up the emissions on the diesels or CDI engines, with no noticeable exhaust smoke anymore on any of the passenger vehicle range which is a good thing :) nothing worse than having a huge plume of black smoke everytime you accelerate hard.

The badges appear on all but AMG models here in the Aust. market, suppose it depends on individual markets around the World as to whether the badges are put on or not :)

davidwhelan3 01-07-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 5496409)
"Blue efficiency" is the MB 'stamp' and also used as a marketing tool for their latest engine range/s, mainly to do with lowered fuel consumption and emissions output, there are alot of articles on the topic like this one for example:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...ncy-first-view

They've especially cleaned up the emissions on the diesels or CDI engines, with no noticeable exhaust smoke anymore on any of the passenger vehicle range which is a good thing :) nothing worse than having a huge plume of black smoke everytime you accelerate hard.

The badges appear on all but AMG models here in the Aust. market, suppose it depends on individual markets around the World as to whether the badges are put on or not :)

Exactly, they put the badges on all 2012 models except amg in US but i noticed the other day when I went to the dealership that they weren't on the 2013 models anymore

Kevin82 01-08-2013 11:46 PM

marketing mumbo jumbo to make the car sound more fuel efficient

AV1 01-09-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin82 (Post 5498387)
marketing mumbo jumbo to make the car sound more fuel efficient

I suppose they can to a certain extent especially regarding the CDI models as the efficiency on those is truly excellent especially taking into account the power output being produced by these engines and overall weight of the engines and car combined as this results in no lightweight vehicle even for the smaller C Class.

The blue efficiency badges on my C Coupe can stay on as they've earned their place in that regard :)

Blinks 01-09-2013 06:23 PM

950km per full tank! Id say that is quite efficient! They have most definately earnt their place on the car though Ive always habitually debaged every car I've own. Just prefer the clean look.

Now if they can only mask the "diesel sound" then I would be a 100% convert lol

AV1 01-09-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blinks (Post 5499295)
950km per full tank! Id say that is quite efficient! They have most definately earnt their place on the car though Ive always habitually debaged every car I've own. Just prefer the clean look.

Now if they can only mask the "diesel sound" then I would be a 100% convert lol

I'm beginning to get those numbers above now myself Blinks, as it's noticeably 'loosened up' over the past thousand or so travelled km's - I'm now on just over 16,000km :)

On a straight Freeway run with the auto distronic locked at 100km/h it should easily be able to achieve at or over 1,200km range with 60ltrs of fuel = very impressive for a 150kw 500nm twin turbo 2.1ltr engine !!!

My average consumption so far over that travelled distance is 6.2ltrs/100km and I've done a fair bit of spirited driving over that distance, that's alot less than an equivalent capacity non forced induction petrol engine with less than half the power.

It's my 1st diesel and I'm almost a total oiler convert with this car, I've said this before but if only MB made a C350-CDI coupe that would be a total package including the exhaust sound - try taking a sedan or wagon C350-CDI with the diesel twin turbo V6 for a test spin Blinks, I've driven one on the track and its exhaust sound is awesome and with 195kw and 610nm it runs like a ballistic missile, it'll also only use about half or less the fuel of the C350 petrol V6 as well !!! :)

Getting back onto the whole blue efficiency thing, I'm pretty sure MB are more focused on the diesels with all of this than the petrols, that's why it dosn't surprise me that markets like the U.S who don't have the diesels are not being fitted with the badges on their petrol variants, it certainly never got used on any AMG models either

jctevere 01-16-2013 09:26 PM

The blue efficiency badging in the United States on 2012 models were due to the revised transmission. Mercedes-Benz put it on 2012 models that carried this newer transmission that was more efficient (versus 2008-2011 models). This is not to be confused with BlueTec which is the badging for diesel models.

Mercedes-Benz has since removed this badging from newer models since it looked quite tacky and caused a lot of confusion.

angeloxnet 01-16-2013 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5508380)
The blue efficiency badging in the United States on 2012 models were due to the revised transmission. Mercedes-Benz put it on 2012 models that carried this newer transmission that was more efficient (versus 2008-2011 models). This is not to be confused with BlueTec which is the badging for diesel models.

Mercedes-Benz has since removed this badging from newer models since it looked quite tacky and caused a lot of confusion.

I don't think the blue efficiency badging has anything to do with the transmission rather the fuel economy of the engine in general.

AV1 01-17-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 5508380)

There's no such thing as 'BlueTec' badging on the MB passenger range it's a label for the SUV's :confused:

Both Petrol (CGI) and Diesel (CDI) wear 'Blue Efficiency' badges.

As pointed out here in Australia and other MB petrol and diesel range markets, they all now where the Blue Efficiency badges, but the petrols have lost the CGI badges, the diesels retain the CDI badges.

I know for a fact MB is far more focussed on their diesels than their petrols and the Blue Efficiency efforts are more about the diesels than the petrols, that may explain the loss of the badging in the U.S MB petrol only market place.

Originally Posted by angeloxnet (Post 5508462)
I don't think the blue efficiency badging has anything to do with the transmission rather the fuel economy of the engine in general.

If you read up on their literature, it's a complete coverage of efforts including the transmission which is more about ratios and settings than anything else, ie. normal and sport modes which shifts between 1st or 2nd gear take off from standstill and optimising ratios for best economy but the main factor as you say is the engines and the exhaust, less fuel burn and less emissions :)

jctevere 01-19-2013 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 5509725)
There's no such thing as 'BlueTec' badging on the MB passenger range it's a label for the SUV's :confused:

Both Petrol (CGI) and Diesel (CDI) wear 'Blue Efficiency' badges.

As pointed out here in Australia and other MB petrol and diesel range markets, they all now where the Blue Efficiency badges, but the petrols have lost the CGI badges, the diesels retain the CDI badges.

I know for a fact MB is far more focussed on their diesels than their petrols and the Blue Efficiency efforts are more about the diesels than the petrols, that may explain the loss of the badging in the U.S MB petrol only market place.

If you read up on their literature, it's a complete coverage of efforts including the transmission which is more about ratios and settings than anything else, ie. normal and sport modes which shifts between 1st or 2nd gear take off from standstill and optimising ratios for best economy but the main factor as you say is the engines and the exhaust, less fuel burn and less emissions :)

Perhaps not overseas. But here in the US any diesel alternative wears the "Bluetec" badging, even non SUV's such as the E-Class.

You are correct about what the Blue Efficiency badging means. Though I'm not too sure there is any method to MB's randomness of which models get the badging anymore. I know in 2012 both the C-Class and E-Class's wore the badges, across most engine variants, so I know it wasn't about diesel or extra impressive MPG. Probably more to distinguish/let people know that the transmission characteristics have been slightly modified.