MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204-156/)
-   -   Help needed to fix rattle from the rear (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c204/491869-help-needed-fix-rattle-rear.html)

skat004 03-13-2013 11:50 PM

Help needed to fix rattle from the rear

Hi guys,

I have a rattle coming from the rear speaker shelf area. I've tried a LOT of things to figure out the specific area it is coming from but I have failed and it is really starting to annoy me.

If you've experienced a rattle from around the rear area, could you please tell me how you fixed it? Hopefully one of the suggestions will help me get this sorted for good.

Thanks

dmcconnell68 03-14-2013 12:13 AM

I also have a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear package shelf. It didn't start until the dealer tinted the windows. It's been in twice and they have not fully resolved the issue yet. I noticed over the weekend that the headliner at the top of the back window was loose. I snapped it back in and have not heard the rattle since. My car is a 2013 C250.

Breitling65 03-14-2013 06:00 AM

Rear speaker is rattling on most coupes, also I found it is noticeable more on certain music frequency which I could reduce with settings. But agree it is pretty bad quality for HK name and I ish they recall and replace this speaker ...

skat004 03-14-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 5577858)
Rear speaker is rattling on most coupes, also I found it is noticeable more on certain music frequency which I could reduce with settings. But agree it is pretty bad quality for HK name and I ish they recall and replace this speaker ...

I think it could be speaker too. I'm trying to eliminate other possibilities.
Do guys without the HK sound package get the rattle too?

Kevin82 03-14-2013 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 5577858)

My front center speaker was blown recently. Took it to dealership and they replaced under warranty. They most likely have some tone tester cd they they can play to determine that.

Kevin82 03-14-2013 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by skat004 (Post 5578530)
I think it could be speaker too. I'm trying to eliminate other possibilities.
Do guys without the HK sound package get the rattle too?

Take everything out of trunk, including spare tire. Put rear seats down and latch it back on making sure it's secure. See if that does it.

Breitling65 03-14-2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin82 (Post 5578620)
Take everything out of trunk, including spare tire. Put rear seats down and latch it back on making sure it's secure. See if that does it.

Mine trunk is always empty (besides spare tire), I don't store anything in MB ... :) Clean as new from dealer, never go shopping or beach on it. That is my Jeep's job.

Kevin82 03-14-2013 08:25 PM

Speaking of strange noise, I always have this loud snap coming from the left rear passenger side when turning left out of a commercial driveway when the street dips slightly.

Also, my passenger sun visor rattles when it's in the up (not in use) position when going over bumps. Sounds like the plastic mirror cover is hitting the vanity light. Took me forever to figure out where that noise was coming from.

jtl1230 03-15-2013 02:13 PM

I pestered the dealer and they essentially took my car apart...for me, I had a few but I think the sunshade was the main culprit (it sounds like its coming from the rear deck but its the retracted shade). Does closing your shade make it any better?

They fixed three things I think, they said they put lining in one of the taillight bays (i have a doubt I ever heard this one), one of the latches for the rear seats was apparently making a noise (they had to reinstall a faulty one when i had delivery) and the rear shade. Of the three, I think the rear seat latch was likely a big contributor and the rear shade didn't help.

I basically told them, if it rattles on bumps thats one thing, but it rattles on flat surfaces at speed too, and its driving me nuts. My dealer took it and kept it for 2 days. It was like $1,300 in labor, all covered of course. Was impressed. I had complained previously and he fixed it, but it was back a week later so I think this time they made sure they got it for good. Car is a '12, delivery in Oct. 2011...think I might've been one of the first C Class coupes. Starting to see a lot more these days, mostly 250s. Figured there'd be some growing pains.

They fixed it a few months ago, no issues since. The shade can still rattle when fully open, but only when you'd expect it to. Doesn't bother me anymore.

OCtheMIKE 03-15-2013 10:50 PM

Rear deck rattle

I'm glad I read this post because I thought I was the only with these issues. If I wedge something between the rear center taillight cover and the back windshield the noise goes away. I took it in twice for repairs and both times they said they put some foam down to fix it. But after a week the problem returned. At this point I've resorted to leaving a small piece of rubber wedged there.

As for the snapping noise from the panoramic roof, I think it's the glass shifting when going over uneven surfaces where the car "twists" (i.e. out of driveways, diagonally over speed bumps, etc).

It's kind of disappointing that a MB has these problems.

BlackjackM 03-16-2013 09:03 AM

I'm having the exact same rattle from the back, and I think its the rear shelf. I jammed 2 rags up under the shelf from inside the trunk to try and hold it tight. We'll see if it works.

jctevere 03-18-2013 09:12 AM

FYI - this actually isn't coming from the rear speaker mesh. This was a common problem in the 2008-2011 C-Class.

It is actually caused by a cable in the trunk area. I forget exactly what the cable is related to, I want to say emergency trunk release or fuel cable or parking break or something. I can't recall right now - I'll try to locate my paperwork and get back to you.

But basically, the fix is that they felt wrap the cable to prevent the rattle. The dealerships should be familiar with the issue. They will fix it for free under warranty. If they tell you that they can't replicate the issue - tell them to check service campaigns or that you've heard that there is a cable in the rear desk shelf area that causes the vibration.

I have brought the issue to MBUSA's attention. I was hoping they would have fixed this for the 2012+ model year, but I guess I was wrong... :smash::nix::slap:

capt_paul 03-18-2013 11:45 AM

Easy fix....dealer, assuming that most of us are under warranty

Paul106 10-30-2013 02:01 PM

Have the same kind of rattle... it seems to be coming from the shelf area. I took everything out of the trunk, folded the seats - still hear it. Then I put a towel tightly between the rear window and the shelf and the rattling stopped. I guess it just pushed the shelf to the cable.

It is good news that this is a known problem. The dealer had my car for 2 weeks to fix squeaky driver seat (they had to order the seat frame) and I would hate to come back to them but this rattle is driving me nuts and it does not go away. The other rattle / squeak my car has is coming from the central console on dashboard - but this one goes away when the car warms up.

And to make things worse, when it is quiet in the car and I turn the steering wheel - I can hear some scratching in the steering column.

This is my first brand new Benz ( I had used 420 SEL, S430 and E550 before) and in terms of interior quality it is by far the worst experience I've ever had. Is this normal for a C-Class? I remember I had a Ford Focus and that thing was very quiet so I would expect the interior quality of the Benz to be at least on par.

Riviera 10-30-2013 04:05 PM

Oh oh i missed this post, i have exactly the same problem ( https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...top-light.html ) look like a common problem, i'm not alone :rolleyes:

My car is no more under warranty, at first i put i little foam but it didn't last long the noise reappeared a few days.

This week-end i put a bigger "sponge" in holes under the rear shelf between the gray foam and the black metal plate to block everything, just ridiculous doing such fix in a MB, for the moment the noise has dissapeared but for how long... I'll be happy if anyone discover the real reason and the appropriate fix.

Pascal

Paul106 10-30-2013 04:10 PM

Hm... has anyone tried to remove the whole shelf? If this is just the fuel door lock cable the fix should be pretty straightforward.....

skat004 10-30-2013 06:18 PM

I tried every suggestions (and then some) but couldn't fix it so I left the car at the dealer's and they just added some more sound deadening material to that general area (that's what they told me). It has been quiet ever since.

When i went in, they knew exactly what I was talking about which made me think this is a fairly common issue and they've had several complaints about it.

Paul106 10-30-2013 08:32 PM

Cool! I am gonna try my luck hopefully this week :) I will let you know how it goes...

Riviera 11-03-2013 01:57 PM

Well... my "sponge" fix did not last long, the noise is back after a few days i'm going nuts :smash:

I bought a backup camera from hong kong and will install when arrived, i'll try to see if anything can be removed in the trunk or if i can access to the famous fuel cap cable or anything...

My car no more under warranty and i don't want to leave my car to MB as they charge the time to find noise and they don't lend courtesy car so i'll have to fix myself, i'll not spend a cent for that.

For those who have, like me, a noise behind the glovebox, i dismounted today the glovebox, a piece of cake, removed the cover under the globebox, remove the right plastic between the passenger door and the glovebox (with a sticker on it) as it hides a screw, by just moving it right to unlock, then remove all screws in the glovebox and 2 under, 10 minutes.

What i've found is the little air conditionning tube refreshing the glovebox was touching another piece of plastic, i've added a little pad and thats it.

Removing the glovebox will also ease rear camera installation as it gives access under the carpet.

I've got another noise in the ashtray, that dissapear when i open the tray, not really lound and quite rare, i tried to remove the command online and the ac control panel but it's not like pre-facelift w204, it give absolutely no access to the tray mechanism, any idea on how to remove the ash tray mecanism ?

Pascal

kingsingh47 11-07-2013 05:41 AM

Hey guys,

I had the same problem with my rear shelf, the first time I took it in, they said my speaker had blown to they 'replaced it'.

A few weeks later, the rattling came back, took it in, this time they said it was some cable (think what was mentioned above) and they tied it down somewhere, problem solved for a few weeks.

Again it happened, took it in, they sent the foreman to come for a ride in my car, he claims he couldn't hear anything, I demanded they send someone else in, someone maybe younger. The second guy heard straight away.

Lucky for me, one of the guys in the dealership in the service department is friend's with my uncle, what he told me was that the rear shelf needs foam padding, something MB knows about, and it is a common issue for the C coupe and E coupe. I just got my car back today and finally, after a year since pick up, my sound system sounds like it should have at day 1. The service guy is still gonna replace all my rear speakers for me again just to make sure. Best part, warranty covers everything.

If you are still having the same issue I had, mention to them about the foam padding, MB apparently have issued a statement about this and is doing it for all coupes who noticed the noise

kenp12321 11-10-2013 02:46 AM

rattle in the rear of the car

i have 2 c250... both with the same problem.. after months of trying to figure it out i finally climbed into the trunk while someone drove me around.. i found the rattle is being caused by the rear deck stop light indicator.. i was able to reach up between the foam padding to find the deck stop light move a vibrating between the light housing and the deck .... i put a foam pad into the spae and the rattle is gone.. on both cars..

OCtheMIKE 12-02-2013 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kenp12321 (Post 5838799)
i have 2 c250... both with the same problem.. after months of trying to figure it out i finally climbed into the trunk while someone drove me around.. i found the rattle is being caused by the rear deck stop light indicator.. i was able to reach up between the foam padding to find the deck stop light move a vibrating between the light housing and the deck .... i put a foam pad into the spae and the rattle is gone.. on both cars..

Ha! My man rode in the trunk. Nice. Now if only MB techs had as much dedication this problem would have been solved 2 years ago on my car.

sultanmeghji 12-03-2013 06:25 PM

Mine is currently in the shop getting this fixed (they say) for the 2nd time. Hopefully when I pick it up on Thursday it will be fixed. I'll track what they do for you all.

elmariachi304 12-03-2013 09:41 PM

Reading this thread I am so glad the fit & finish on my 2014 model has been perfect so far.

skat004 12-03-2013 10:23 PM

Mine was too, for the first 11-12 months and then this came up.
I hope they learned their lessons and fixed these annoying issues for the 2014 models.