MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class Coupe (C205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c205-210/)
-   -   Options in a C Coupe (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-coupe-c205/672234-options-c-coupe.html)

mis3 07-03-2017 05:44 PM

Options in a C Coupe

I tried to "build" a C Coupe in MB Canada site, there are a few packages available. There are sport package, premium package, premium plus package, intelligent drive package and the total cost is $12-13K CAN . Then add the $2,000 for leather seats, the car is getting expensive.

Are they any options which are "must have " and then "nice to have"? I am sure that this depends largely on personal preference but it would be helpful coming from those of you who have these options,

Also, there is a $200 option for the stainless steel pedals. I thought they all come with SS pedals?

threefirs 07-03-2017 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7199145)
I tried to "build" a C Coupe in MB Canada site, there are a few packages available. There are sport package, premium package, premium plus package, intelligent drive package and the total cost is $12-13K CAN . Then add the $2,000 for leather seats, the car is getting expensive.

Are they any options which are "must have " and then "nice to have"? I am sure that this depends largely on personal preference but it would be helpful coming from those of you who have these options,

Also, there is a $200 option for the stainless steel pedals. I thought they all come with SS pedals?

I recommend getting these cars fully loaded. If you find they're too costly, go down a tier to a CLA or lower model C. In my opinion, they've strategically placed a "must have" in every package aside from the intelligent drive.

You might be able to get a great deal on a '17 this late in the season.

mis3 07-03-2017 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by threefirs (Post 7199344)
I recommend getting these cars fully loaded. If you find they're too costly, go down a tier to a CLA or lower model C. In my opinion, they've strategically placed a "must have" in every package aside from the intelligent drive.

You might be able to get a great deal on a '17 this late in the season.

You don't like the intelligent drive package?

I am actually looking for a 2018 but not sure of the release date. As a 2nd year, they would probably further improve the car somewhat.

antigeek 07-06-2017 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7199367)
You don't like the intelligent drive package?

I am actually looking for a 2018 but not sure of the release date. As a 2nd year, they would probably further improve the car somewhat.

I got the Premium 2 package, as I didn't see the added value of the DISTRONIC system.
It still warns me about blind spots and potential collisions -- pretty useful.
The rest I figure are things I'd only find valuable if I commuted a lot.

Not sure about changes for 2018, but I do expect they'll put the 9G-TRONIC transmission in the C class.

mis3 07-07-2017 03:05 AM

Below is the Premium Plus Package for the C Coupe in Canada .
The only thing I would like is the garage door opener and keyless-go. $3000 is kinda expensive for these 2'options.

PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGEMSRP*
$3,000.00CAN

Brief description
EASY-PACK Power Trunk Closer
Integrated Garage Door Opener
Hands-free Access
PARKTRONIC w / Active Parking Assist
Illuminated Door Sill Panels
Ambient Lighting
KEYLESS-GO
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio

mis3 07-07-2017 03:11 AM

Below is the Premium Plus Package for the C Coupe in Canada .

The only thing I would like is the garage door opener and keyless-go. $3000 is kinda expensive for these 2 options.
I have a few friends who own new MB and they never use their parktonic. They all said it is too slow. Illuminated door sills are too flashy for my taste. Sirius is free for only 3 months

PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGEMSRP*
$3,000.00CAN

Brief description
Hands-free Access
Ambient Lighting
KEYLESS-GO

teksurv 07-07-2017 11:28 AM

The way that option is packaged, it would be a must for me for Keyless-Go, Ambient lighting and satellite radio.

raihak 07-08-2017 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by teksurv (Post 7202273)
The way that option is packaged, it would be a must for me for Keyless-Go, Ambient lighting and satellite radio.

I found ambient lighting to be tacky on a loaner i got from my dealer. I played with it for 5 seconds, then chose the white color and dialed it down to the lowest setting.

But to each his own.

I wish I had got the air-matic suspension... i have the AMG package and the suspension is tuned to be hard, not nice for a long trip. other than that the night package (if you desire it) can be achieved after-market, there isn't a lot to it... the good part for it being aftermarket is that I can change the look of my car between summer and winter... e.g. black rims for either winter or summer to go with a night-package look and the reverse. This is my plan at the moment, I will post pics if I do this.

mis3 07-08-2017 01:30 PM

Yes, agreed on the ambient lighting. I also find the illuminated door sills gimmicky also. Luckily they did not include the illuminated emblem in the package.

The airmatic suspension is certainly nice but i think it is problematic long term. My friend has a CL500 with ABC and it is extremely expensively to repair. Probably not a good idea if one keeps the car for 10 years. Hope the sport suspension is not too harsh.

raihak 07-09-2017 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7203088)
Yes, agreed on the ambient lighting. I also find the illuminated door sills gimmicky also. Luckily they did not include the illuminated emblem in the package.

The airmatic suspension is certainly nice but i think it is problematic long term. My friend has a CL500 with ABC and it is extremely expensively to repair. Probably not a good idea if one keeps the car for 10 years. Hope the sport suspension is not too harsh.

Well that may be a blessing in disguise for me then.

The sport suspension; I don't have a lot of reference points.

Yes it's harsh compared to my SUVs.

This is my first luxury/German car.

I got a c300 loaner for a week which didn't have the sport suspension. I didn't like the feel of that car at all... the steering felt a bit sloppy and almost no road feel, but it was comfortable alright.

In my C300 Coupe with Sport suspension and run flat tires I feel the road as much as in my friend's 5 series (also with run flat tires).

So on the one side the road feel + the feeling of control when I steer is unlike anything I've experienced before, but I do feel the bumps on a poor road.

It's a trade-off and I'm kinda okay with it I guess.

Hapa88 07-11-2017 12:23 PM

I just checked the Canada MB site and the option packages are different than what we here in the US. We bought a 2017 C300, from the US, with a Premium 1 (Blind assist, Rearview camera, Keyless Go, and Burmester sound) & Sport packages (body panels, sport brakes and suspension). All C300 coupes in the US have Static LED headlights as the base, and Active in the higher premium packages.

We got ours with the MB-Tex synthetic leather (Canada calls it ARTICO leather) and honestly they feel very similar. Go to a dealership and do a back to back and you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'd say save your $2000 and go MB-Tex/ARTICO.

We also have the Burmester sound (as part of the package). I didn't listen to the Base sound, so I have no comparison, but I don't think the Burmester sound on the C300 coupe is that good. It's mid-range and mid-bass heavy, and the soundstage sounds like it comes from the dash (it doesn't surround you, even with the "Surround sound" function on).

The Sport suspension is a tad on the firmer side but livable on our roads. It did get harsher when we switched from the AMG 18" run-flats to the AMG 19" run flats. I'm sure we'd prefer the standard suspension since my wife is the primary driver, but we wanted the AMG bodystyling and the sport suspension is part of that package. Determine your road conditions and your driving style when deciding on the Sport suspension. We do 99%+ city driving, our driving style is not that aggressive, and our roads are mostly smooth.

The only feature in the Intelligent Drive package I'd want is the Active Blind spot assist as it's saved me a few times. We don't live in a major city so parking assists and cross traffic monitoring would go mostly unused.

For your Premium Plus Package the Integrated Garage Door Opener nice, but I'd be fine saving $2000 to have a separate garage door opener on my keychain. Hands-free Access w/Keyless Go is definitely a nice feature though and I think it should be a Standard feature. Paying $3k for it seems a little ridiculous though since all the other features are kind of whatever.

Lastly the SS pedals appear to come with the Sport Package. You can buy aftermarket versions on Amazon/eBay for about $15.

mis3 07-11-2017 08:46 PM

Thanks Hapa88 for taking the time to visit MB Canada site.

Sport Package $2000CAN:
ARTICO Leather Dashboard
AMG Exterior Package
18" AMG 5-Spoke Wheels
AMG Styling Package
Diamond Grille in Chrome
AMG Interior Package
AMG Velour Floor Mats

Strange. Sport suspension is a stand alone feature of $250.

raihak 07-13-2017 01:40 AM

The sport package is mostly styling only. It does not affect or touch performance, other than the wheels I guess.

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7206274)
Thanks Hapa88 for taking the time to visit MB Canada site.

Sport Package $2000CAN:

ARTICO Leather Dashboard - this is really noticeable, trust me going from a stitched dashboard to a plastic one feels like a bummer. I got a loaner that didn't have the stitching, and it felt cheap.

AMG Exterior Package - aggressive front diffuser and chrome cross bar plus side skirts and rear diffuser with inset chrome exhaust tips. I haven't seen a coupe without or I haven't notice the non AMG exterior so I cannot tell the difference yet.

18" AMG 5-Spoke Wheels - Base model wheels look like gash compared to the AMG 5 spoke 18s. I didn't want the 19" wheels w/ summer tires... i wanted some semblance of comfort.

AMG Styling Package - the flat bottomed steering wheel was a must for me. too bad it doesn't come with a heated option (I was told). Also the brushed metal paddles are nice.

Diamond Grille in Chrome - Gorgeous grill.

AMG Interior Package - i really don't know how this might be different from the AMG Styling.

AMG Velour Floor Mats - Didn't care much for this.

Strange. Sport suspension is a stand alone feature of $250.

mis3 07-13-2017 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by raihak (Post 7207433)
The sport package is mostly styling only. It does not affect or touch performance, other than the wheels I guess.

In my opinion, Sport Package is a must. I personally do not like diamond grille, too flashy for me.

Does the artico leather dashboard include the stitched dashboard?

raihak 07-13-2017 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7208337)
In my opinion, Sport Package is a must. I personally do not like diamond grille, too flashy for me.

Does the artico leather dashboard include the stitched dashboard?

I agree, the Sport package was a must for me too. I was just pointing out that it is sport mostly in name, because it's mostly an appearance package, not related to performance. In fact the Premium package + the Sport package was my requirement. The Premium Plus, though desirable, I was willing to forego as long as I could find the right color combo in stock.

The Artico leather dashboard includes the stitching.

mis3 07-14-2017 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by raihak (Post 7208459)
The Premium Plus, though desirable, I was willing to forego as long as I could find the right color combo in stock.

Brief description
Hands-free Access
Ambient Lighting
KEYLESS-GO

you are right. The only thing I want here is Keyless Go. $3000 CAN is too expensive for one feature that I want.

BTW. I never tried Parktonic in a modern MB. How is it? I'm tired it in another a few years ago and it was painfully slow.

Also, how is the Burmester ($1K CAN) as compared to stock? Is stock bad?

raihak 07-15-2017 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7209907)
Brief description
Hands-free Access
Ambient Lighting
KEYLESS-GO

you are right. The only thing I want here is Keyless Go. $3000 CAN is too expensive for one feature that I want.

BTW. I never tried Parktonic in a modern MB. How is it? I'm tired it in another a few years ago and it was painfully slow.

Also, how is the Burmester ($1K CAN) as compared to stock? Is stock bad?

For me Keyless GO and the power trunk closer from that list. I don't like touching the trunk to close it after i've washed and waxed the car! :P

Parktronic is slow and clunky. I wouldn't have the patience for it and in the C class it's half-baked, you have to apply the acceleration and the brakes from what i recall. It also fails quite a few times while in the middle of the act (i've heard). Unnecessary.

There are detailed threads on Burmester. I will summarize it for you:
1. both Burmester and Audio20 (stock) suck bad!
2. Burmester means more speakers in the car than A20 + an amplifier or a DSP (I can't recall).
3. Neither system has any tweeters (so it's all mids and lows).
4. Burmester is not made by Burmester, just their name has been licensed and maybe they lent expertise or something.
5. Burmester sounds better on the Sedan than on the coupe (apparently) has to do with speaker placement i read.
6. If you are an audiophile, spend that $1000 towards an audio upgrade on the Audio20 and dont get Burmester.
7. If you like the Burmester grilles, you can order them off e-bay!

I will be upgrading my A20's front door speakers to co-axials to add some highs and just live with it. I don't have thousands to spend on upgrading a leased vehicle.

mis3 07-15-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by raihak (Post 7210134)
3. Neither system has any tweeters (so it's all mids and lows).

What? No tweeters?

I didn't not know that It sucks. The review below gave a good review to Burmester in C Class..

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bu...c-class-review

raihak 07-15-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7210203)
What? No tweeters?

I didn't not know that It sucks. The review below gave a good review to Burmester in C Class..

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bu...c-class-review

Whether it's good or not is clearly subjective. It depends upon whether you are used to and/or familiar with hi-end audio. Therefore, go and give it a listen if you get the chance.

That neither system has any tweeters is FACT. There are detailed threads on this forum regarding that. Both systems use a series of 4" cones and some 6" cones (in the case of A20 there are 4x4" 1x6" cones).

The Burmester is definitely better than A20, but if your expectations are higher than the quality it offers you are better off not spending $1000 on it and putting that 1K towards an upgrade on the A20.

mis3 07-15-2017 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by raihak (Post 7210293)
Burmester is definitely better than A20, but if your expectations are higher than the quality it offers you are better off not spending $1000 on it and putting that 1K towards an upgrade on the A20.

It is disappointing. There s a lot of work to replace the audio system, the head unit Is no longer in standard size like many years ago.

I read that there are 13 speakers to this upgraded system.

Someone in the other post said this for the C sedan (W205):
"I believe there are 2 frontbass speakers in the footwells, 2 tweeters in the A-pillar, 2 mids in the front doors, 2 tweeters and 2 mids in the rear doors, 1 centre speaker, and 2 surrounds in the rear parcel shelf."

raihak 07-15-2017 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7210316)
It is disappointing. There s a lot of work to replace the audio system, the head unit Is no longer in standard size like many years ago.

I read that there are 13 speakers to this upgraded system.

Someone in the other post said this for the C sedan (W205):
"I believe there are 2 frontbass speakers in the footwells, 2 tweeters in the A-pillar, 2 mids in the front doors, 2 tweeters and 2 mids in the rear doors, 1 centre speaker, and 2 surrounds in the rear parcel shelf."

I might be wrong about the Burmester system then. My car doesn't have it.

mis3 07-16-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by raihak (Post 7210659)
I might be wrong about the Burmester system then. My car doesn't have it.

I think the confusion here is unlike conventional loudspeakers, the tweeter is not integrated into the loudspeaker.

I saw a C Coupe with Burmester and the speaker covers are all silver, How about the regualr audio, black?

mis3 07-16-2017 03:59 PM

Below is the Premium Package in Canada which costs $3,400 CAN.

Brief description
COMAND Online Navigation w/ MB Apps
Static LED High Performance Lighting System
Rear View Camera
DVD Drive

I did not see the option Garmin Map Pilot in MB Canada build site.

How is this Command Navigation? With this option, will the dealership provide map updates?
I use a standalone Garmin and it works real well.

raihak 07-17-2017 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7211003)
I think the confusion here is unlike conventional loudspeakers, the tweeter is not integrated into the loudspeaker.

I saw a C Coupe with Burmester and the speaker covers are all silver, How about the regualr audio, black?

yes they are black.

raihak 07-17-2017 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mis3 (Post 7211263)
Below is the Premium Package in Canada which costs $3,400 CAN.

Brief description
COMAND Online Navigation w/ MB Apps
Static LED High Performance Lighting System
Rear View Camera
DVD Drive

I did not see the option Garmin Map Pilot in MB Canada build site.

How is this Command Navigation? With this option, will the dealership provide map updates?
I use a standalone Garmin and it works real well.

How is this Command Navigation?
It works alright. I dont have any complains...

With this option, will the dealership provide map updates?
I guess they will, I have asked about it or needed updates as yet.