MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W202) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202-27/)
-   -   C230 Kompressor Blower Resistor Bad? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202/397957-c230-kompressor-blower-resistor-bad.html)

MichaelsWorld 04-27-2011 11:08 PM

C230 Kompressor Blower Resistor Bad?

Ok, so all of the sudden the blower quit working.
Here's what I have done:

Checked the compressor. It still works as it is supposed to.
Removed the fan and hooked it to a 12 volt power source. It works fine.
Checked all fuses
Checked the voltage on wiring harness and resistor.

On the wires:
Red/Blue 12.2 volts one time and 13.2 volts another time
White 2.0 Volts
Brown 0

On the resistor:
Large Terminal 1.2 volts
Small Terminal 12.5 volts to 13.2 volts.
The reason I got two readings was I tested everything twice. Not sure if that is an issue with the resistor or the fact that my tester battery was low.

Anyone have an idea?

MichaelsWorld 05-12-2011 08:28 AM

So nothing?

It is dipping into the 90's here.. Sure would be nice to have some AC... So no one knows what voltage I am supposed to be getting out of this?

MichaelsWorld 06-18-2011 02:34 PM

After getting no help at all from this or two other major Mercedes forums I went ahead and bought a new Blower Regulator. Just for those browsing, this did fix the blower. Now I am low on AC so I need to find the steps for recharging. But this time I will find that information elsewhere rather than waiting on this site for months to get nowhere. Thanks for all your help guys..

Danz Benz 02-24-2013 03:23 PM

1999 C230 Blower issues

PLEASE HELP - 1999 C230 - Climate Control Issue - Bad Switch?

The climate control on my 1999 C230 has stopped working. Manual dial system not the digital display.

It happened after I replaced the windshield wiper motor (due to ice holding wiper and plastic gear inside motor was stripped). Not sure if this is related or just a coincidence.

The blower runs when power is connected to it directly OR when the REST button is depressed (red light on). This is the way I am getting heat right now, until I figure this out.

When the REST button is engaged the entire climate control switches illuminate, when the REST button is off the switch lights are off.

I have constant power to the Blower Regulator and power at the blue wire and red wire connected to the regulator.

When I connect a test light to a ground and touch the body of the Regulator the test light goes on? Is this normal?

I have tried another regulator and get the same thing.

Is there a way to figure out if the climate control switch module is bad?

The EC button does not illuminate when pressed, but the heat was working fine anyway until 2 days ago.

I have taken it out and inspected it but everything (circuit boards) look ok, no smell, clean, etc...

I have also tested continuity, ohms etc. and the boards on the unit seem fine.

The aspirator at the dome light is not operating, although there is power there.

blair bulani 10-05-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Danz Benz (Post 5556727)
PLEASE HELP - 1999 C230 - Climate Control Issue - Bad Switch?

The climate control on my 1999 C230 has stopped working. Manual dial system not the digital display.

It happened after I replaced the windshield wiper motor (due to ice holding wiper and plastic gear inside motor was stripped). Not sure if this is related or just a coincidence.

The blower runs when power is connected to it directly OR when the REST button is depressed (red light on). This is the way I am getting heat right now, until I figure this out.

When the REST button is engaged the entire climate control switches illuminate, when the REST button is off the switch lights are off.

I have constant power to the Blower Regulator and power at the blue wire and red wire connected to the regulator.

When I connect a test light to a ground and touch the body of the Regulator the test light goes on? Is this normal?

I have tried another regulator and get the same thing.

Is there a way to figure out if the climate control switch module is bad?

The EC button does not illuminate when pressed, but the heat was working fine anyway until 2 days ago.

I have taken it out and inspected it but everything (circuit boards) look ok, no smell, clean, etc...

I have also tested continuity, ohms etc. and the boards on the unit seem fine.

The aspirator at the dome light is not operating, although there is power there.

have same issues as this guy wondering what he did to fix it

Dirgesan 10-07-2018 12:16 PM

What is the exact problem? Is the heater core inside your car getting warm, or is it just the heater blower doesn't work? My 99 C230 has the same manual system and when my blower stopped working I traced it to dirty connections on the red and blue wires attached to the blower. The connections looked fine, but the fan would cut off and on when pulling on the wires. I cleaned the connections with cheap toothpaste (it's a very mild abrasive) using an old toothbrush and rinsed with electrical contact cleaner. Working fine so far. You might try cleaning your cleaning your connections, including the ones on the manual controls, with contact cleaner (with the power off, of course).

MotocicliDaPist 05-01-2019 11:45 PM

What is the quickest access to this connector?

I am having this same problem where the fan blower just cuts off and on randomly. I would like to check this connector that you said you cleaned the connections. Thanks

Originally Posted by Dirgesan (Post 7571677)
What is the exact problem? Is the heater core inside your car getting warm, or is it just the heater blower doesn't work? My 99 C230 has the same manual system and when my blower stopped working I traced it to dirty connections on the red and blue wires attached to the blower. The connections looked fine, but the fan would cut off and on when pulling on the wires. I cleaned the connections with cheap toothpaste (it's a very mild abrasive) using an old toothbrush and rinsed with electrical contact cleaner. Working fine so far. You might try cleaning your cleaning your connections, including the ones on the manual controls, with contact cleaner (with the power off, of course).

Dirgesan 05-02-2019 10:36 AM

The connections were the two wires going to the fan itself, located above the cabin air filter. There are three Phillips screws at the bottom front of the dash that hold on the black cover to get to the filter. Remove the black cover and locate the white plastic slides that hold the cabin air filter. Slide these out just far enough to remove the filter. Do not slide them completely off (like I did the first time) because they're a pain to fit back on. This might be a good time to replace the filter, if you want. If you look at the fan, you'll red and blue wires going from the blower resistor to connections on the motor. These are the ones I cleaned. I had a rather difficult time because every time I touched these wires my fan would start working again, and I thought I had fixed it. Nope. My fan's been working fine since I cleaned these almost two years ago. I've since gone back and put a drop of Ox-Gard on the connections. Ox-Gard, and products like it, are conductive greases made for electrical connections. Use it sparingly, since it is conductive, and might cause a short if it gets in the wrong places. Also, it shouldn't be used on switches. For these a dielectric grease is best

khomer2 05-06-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MotocicliDaPist (Post 7746542)
I am having this same problem where the fan blower just cuts off and on randomly. I would like to check this connector that you said you cleaned the connections. Thanks

Also check the interior temp sensor.

Empiremen 10-23-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by blair bulani (Post 7570195)
have same issues as this guy wondering what he did to fix it

Blair, I have the same issue. Did you find the fix?

Empiremen 03-21-2020 01:03 PM

I've find the problem! One of the HVAC fuse was corroded. I've sand the corrosion off the fuse and everything is working fine now.