C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Need advice on reducing sub rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor sport
Need advice on reducing sub rattles

Hello all, I have a 2000 C230 sport, non bose. About 5 months ago, i decided i was going to install some subs into my system. Rather than creating a box i decided to go with an open air system. I removed the two speakers in the rear deck, and mounted two Kicker comp 8s under the rear to replace the 6.5s that come stock. The amp is mounted under the deck in the trunk so it is all nice and neat. The system sounds great and i am super happy with it, but the only problem i do have is rattles. I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to give me some advice on how to reduce the noise that is produced by the vibrations. I know that i could use a deadening material such as dynamat, raamat, or fatmat (on a side note, which material would give me the best bang for my buck?) to reduce the vibrations. From what i see when i observe the subs in action, the rear deck, the actual steel sheet, is not thick enough to handle the two subs in motion. it produces some serious vibrations. Do you guys think that such a material would help, or should i look into reinforcing the metal? Or both? i am redoing my headliner very soon and it would be the perfect time to do anything i need to do because i will have the rear deck cover out anyway. Incase it helps, the subs are mounted facing into the cabin and are not mounted in the holes. they are mounted directly under them. I dont have any photos currently, but i can post some if it helps!