C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

W202 1999 - Engine Fan Turns On When Engine is Off But Fan is Off When Engine is On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz W202 1999
Question W202 1999 - Engine Fan Turns On When Engine is Off But Fan is Off When Engine is On

Hello MB Users

I've just starting experiencing this problem after the mechanic washed the engine compartment with water. I'll just go through what was done to the car in steps to make things easier for you guys to help me and to hopefully to identify the problem:

• I go to the mechanic to change the gearbox oil (gearbox is electric), he changes it and all is fine.
  • The mechanic says the engine compartment is dirty and decides to take it to the washer to wash it with water after me saying no.
  • He turns on the car, I notice a low water light come on on the instrument cluster (Positioned next to the windshield wiper light).
  • I tell him about it, he randomly checks stuff near the engine, he removes both cable ends (one going into the engine fan and the other end of the cable that goes into the engine).
  • He cuts the wire that goes into the radiator compartment (middle left of engine compartment) and sticks it rewires it into the plug again and connects it.
  • The light goes away.
  • I turn the car and head home and I feel a cool breeze hitting my legs, check if AC is on but it's not, I think to myself maybe the weather is getting cooler, instrument cluster says the weather is 45c outside, ok something is wrong.
  • I park the car and notice that the car temp is ~95c, nothing there to be worried about.
  • Pull the key from the ignition switch, lock the car, walk away from the car a little bit and then notice the engine fan suddenly goes at FULL speed.
  • Come back to the car after 20 minutes, engine fan is still on at full speed.
  • Put the key in the iginition and turn it twice (one more turn to the right and the car starts), the fan switches off completely.
  • Turn on the car, the fan is off.
  • Turn off the car, the fan goes on full speed.
  • Went to an electrician, he says that there is obviously water that went into the (cutout cable) which is the cable that the mechanic disconnected earlier.
  • Electritian advices me to leave the car with the hood open all night with the engine fan cable disconnected (he disconnects the cable that goes into the fan, not the engine) and tells me to connect it tomorrow, if the fan switches on when the car is off then I should go to him to fix the problem.
  • I go to Mercedes Benz world and notice that people are talking about that the problem might be a faulty ignition switch OR air mass sensor OR the configuration of the computer of the car is not set to left hand drive.
This is my story, I hope everything is clear and well explained, if you need me to take pictures, I'd be more than happy to do so, but if someone had a similar problem, please tell me what you've done to fix this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by urxiel; 08-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.