MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W202) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202-27/)
-   -   Battery Location (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202/62190-battery-location.html)

ronsterrc 03-02-2004 08:32 AM

Battery Location

Hi

I'm new here.

You can all laugh at this but i cant find the BATTERY in my 1998 C-Class 180. Theres nothing in the engine bay that looks like a battery. There was one cover on the passenger side which looked like it could house it but when i took it off it wasn't! Its not in the air filter case either :confused:

So either its hidden or its been put in the boot. Can sumone please get me a picture as well. It needs charging.

Thanks in advance

Ronnie

phaeton 03-02-2004 09:18 AM

check in your truck/boot. On my '94 C280 its underneath where my spare tire is.

tuesdayBenz 03-02-2004 11:18 AM

Its in the trunk, under the mats.

Which is good and bad.

It keeps the corosiveness away from your delecate eletronics under the hood.

But, because it is far from it, it loses alot of juice due to its distance from the starter.

its a trade off, but its going away with the newer batteries coming out that do not give off corosive fumes.

DougandhisC280 03-02-2004 12:37 PM

That's why the use 4 guage cables. There is no trade off. It's just plain better.

KoopaTroopa 03-03-2004 02:30 AM

Battery

While we are on this subject, has anyone put a bigger (by this I mean more powerful) battery in their car?

henry47 03-03-2004 04:48 AM

Re: Its in the trunk, under the mats.

Originally posted by tuesdayBenz
Which is good and bad.

It keeps the corosiveness away from your delecate eletronics under the hood.

But, because it is far from it, it loses alot of juice due to its distance from the starter.

its a trade off, but its going away with the newer batteries coming out that do not give off corosive fumes.

not only that but the main reason why theyre in the trunk is if you crash head on, it wouldn't spark anything in the engine bay.

davis449 03-03-2004 11:01 AM

It can also make jumpstarting an adventure!:D It makes wiring a system easier! I've heard Bimmer's have a termial in the engine bay for jumpstarting so you don't have to go to the trunk. Do Mercedes have that feature too? If so, where on our cars is it?

ricerokets4life 03-03-2004 03:39 PM

i dont think the W202s have it but i know the E-class benzes have this red "+" terminal under the hood where you connect the jumper cable.

vas2vas 03-03-2004 06:34 PM

yeah I had an old 7 series bimmer with the red "+" in the engine bay... battery in those was under the right rear passenger seat.... was a nightmare to get to...
btw in addition to all the safety issues, having the battery in the trunk also helps get that nice near 50:50 weight distribution that makes our cars handle so nice....

ricerokets4life 03-04-2004 10:01 PM

yet, the w202's body rolls like theres no tomorrow. everytime i take a turn a little faster than i should, it feels like the car is going to flip over.