C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

‘97 C280 Won’t Start After Replacing Ignition Lock Cylindar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SL 500 (R230)
‘97 C280 Won’t Start After Replacing Ignition Lock Cylindar

Yesterday, I received a new URO ignition lock cylindar/tumbler from O’Reilly’s. I went home to replace the old one. I had removed the old one before, multiple times even, and each time there was never any issue afterward when starting the car.

After removing the old tumbler and installing the new one, however, now the car won’t start. Here’s what I did in order:

1. Removed negative terminal from battery
2. Inserted key and turned to the On position (necessary to remove tumbler)
3. Removed the tumbler lock ring and tumbler
4. Inserted new tumbler with original ring back into the ignition - this is where I ran into some trouble and it took some time and force to get it in
5. Put negative terminal back on the battery
6. Turned new key, car didn’t start.

When I turn the key, the engine will crank for about 1-2 seconds before stopping. This isn’t consistent though, perhaps only one in every 5 tries. All accessories work, windows and lights as well.

So, I took the new key and tumbler out and reinstalled the old one. It went back in easily, but the car still wouldn’t start. Same thing, a short few cranks here and there. It almost sounds as if I just stopped turning the key too early. Maybe ignition switch?

I tested the battery. Voltage was low but not by much (12.06V) so I charged it up. It’s back up to normal but still won’t start. When turning, the battery dips to about 11V.

I’m at a loss here. The fuel pump activates, all accessories work, everything. But ever since I installed the new key, it’s totallly wack.

Any ideas or advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Just a thought, but try turning the key on, and then jump the starter motor, bypassing the start position on the key.
If it starts, then work backwards to find the problem.