MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W202) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202-27/)
-   -   w210 parts on a w202, what’s a 98 c230 worth? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202/739887-w210-parts-w202-whatis-98-c230-worth.html)

BenzHunter 03-27-2019 01:39 AM

w210 parts on a w202, what’s a 98 c230 worth?

Hello All,

I’m seeking your guidance on two things.

1. What is a 1998 c230 with 154,000 miles worth?
Needs I’ve observed follow here
Heat Shield rattle
Front bumper cover chipped up / very light parking lot damage
Rear door is a bit wrinkled / light damage PDR might be able to correct it.
Farting noise from the trunk when you lock the doors with the remote
Windshield has a small chip
Will need 2 front tires in a few months
Needs at least 1 cv joint (just started clicking)
Front Headlight glass is cracked
Drivers mirror glass is limp. Doesn’t respond to controller
Missing tools
Needs state inspection in 3 months

i’ve been driving the car for several months as a loaner and I’ve grown fond of it. I really like the durable, tight feel.

2. I noticed people mentioned adding w210 mirrors and w210 door handles to the w202.
What other w210 parts help enhance the w202?
My w210 sedan has slipped into an automotive coma and after 19 years of loyal service her parts are going to live on in my w210 Wagon and perhaps the w202 loaner I may purchase depending on your response.

Thanks in advance for your time!

khomer2 03-27-2019 01:37 PM

BenzHunter,
Welcome. :)

This is a non-Kompressor version?
What its worth is in the eye of the beholder - it's a personal choice. Your correct, these w202s are solid, well-built (last of the pre-face w202s) - better than the w203 for sure, and easy to work on.

Alot of the "repairs items" listed are easy fix yourself and of course, depends on what you want to spend on it to fix it up (lol- we guys (n some gals) get so attached to these MBs. Have to consider all this on what you're willing to pay.
I love the glass feature of these headlamps. Easily replaceable, it's CLEAR glass (install a clear vinyl film over them for chip protection) and they dont fog up like plastic lenses from uv exposure.
Based on what others up here have "been asking" for similar mileage and fix-ups, from $2.5K usd (some stupid prices, imho, down to $800. Personally, I would pay no more than $800 - But that's just me.
Dont forget to check for rust in the usual spots and of course depending on what part of the country (with salt conditions, etc)

2. yes the w210 mirrors and w202 mirrors are interchangeable. Not sure what is interchangeable. For the motor, the R170 class also used the same similar motor and drive train, if I recall correctly. My son has done mods/upgrades to the w202 kompressor motor from advice on this forum as well as the R170 section.
Best do a search here on this forum and the other forum. :)

I also recall some members posting info on interchangeable components between classes. Some similar part #s except for the, I think (not 100% sure), first 3-4 digits of the part which usually refer to the class of the model (ie. w163 = 163 w202 = 202)

BenzHunter 03-28-2019 12:41 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Correct, this is a non-Kompressor version of the C230

Value:
$800 - $2,500 is what I'm seeing as well.
Your recommendation of an $800 bid may not be well received by the seller but I can always go up, I can never go down if my first bid is rejected :)

Rust:
Rust is not apparent.
The car has lived through Pennsylvania salty winter roads but does not appear to have been neglected aside from it's parking lot scuffs.
Where should I look for rust?

Glass Headlights:
I agree 1,000% that glass headlights make a big difference,
Yellowing headlights on any car but especially a MB are just sad,
Thanks for the tip on applying clear vinyl film over the lights for chip protection

Interchangeable Parts
Very helpful insights on the mirrors and related parts.
Part Number Taxonomy is very interesting.
I'll bug the guys at my local MB parts counter to confirm that if the numbers that follow the chassis designation (w202) are the same, then the part is interchangeable. I'll be sure to follow up with the answer on this thread as well.