C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

No power and shifts without key, but key won't turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019 | 09:14 PM

c280
No power and shifts without key, but key won't turn

1999 C280 w202

I'm having trouble finding much on my specific symptoms (shifter is not stuck). I have several paths I can go down, but I'm not really sure which makes the most sense.

Symptoms:
  • Key remote infrared light blinks, but seems a little weak.
  • When I insert the key...no sounds, no lights, or anything at all (Also, won't unlock doors or trunk).
  • Key won't turn except for a slight wiggle.
  • Ignition lock cylinder feels different than usual...like it's misaligned.
  • Steering wheel is locked, does turn about an inch or two in both directions.
  • With the key in or out: Shifter shifts as though the car is on. I can hear and feel each gear as I do (as usual).
What I've tried:
  • Replaced key remote batteries --- no noticeable difference
  • I tried getting the steering wheel to unlock by turning it back and forth while simultaneously trying to turn the key (also tried sliding it in and out) --- unsuccessful
  • Checked the battery = 12.6V
  • Cleaned battery cables and terminals even though they looked fine. --- nothing

Any advice, suggestions, or questions would be very helpful. Thanks. (Also, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place; this is my first time posting something.)

-William

Last edited by William Ian; 09-28-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: To make my post shorter...in hopes someone will respond.
Old 09-30-2019 | 01:38 PM

1999 C230K
Are you getting any power at all? Do your headlights work? Also, is there power at the junction box located under the hood in front of the driver's side fuse box? It has a small square black plastic cover you can open to check the voltage on the two positive terminals underneath. They should both be at battery voltage. Your post wasn't clear as to what did or didn't have power.
Old 10-05-2019 | 04:34 PM

c280
Power-up...but still no start

I was getting absolutely no power to anything at all...despite the battery reading 12.6V.
As I waited for a response on here, I did the following 2 things:

1. Removed the battery
I checked the water level in the battery and added some distilled water. Cleaned the terminals and put the trickle charge on because the voltage had dropped.

2. Checked the wiring (harness) under the hood as well as in the trunk.
Hood was pretty clean and organized, but I rewrapped the harness after checking it out anyway.
In the trunk, noticed a tangled mess of wires with a handful of "fixes" throughout that looked crappily done (see photos). Oh yeah...everything felt a little sticky and there were remnants of a dried unknown yellow liquid (also in photos). So...I cleaned and rewrapped everything. Sandpapered any rust I found as well as all ground connections I could locate.

I checked the junction box as you mentioned, but it was while the battery was disconnected. I'm assuming that's why it wouldn't register any volts.

To my surprise, after reconnecting the battery...
  • full power has been restored,
  • the ignition is no longer locked and the key turns,
  • the key remote works and so do all the door locks, windows, and trunk.
IT CRANKS BUT STILL WON'T TURN OVER. Considering my next step.....spark? or fuel? Or any other more likely possibilities?

Old 10-07-2019 | 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by William Ian
I was getting absolutely no power to anything at all...despite the battery reading 12.6V.
As I waited for a response on here, I did the following 2 things:

1. Removed the battery
I checked the water level in the battery and added some distilled water. Cleaned the terminals and put the trickle charge on because the voltage had dropped.

2. Checked the wiring (harness) under the hood as well as in the trunk.
Hood was pretty clean and organized, but I rewrapped the harness after checking it out anyway.
In the trunk, noticed a tangled mess of wires with a handful of "fixes" throughout that looked crappily done (see photos). Oh yeah...everything felt a little sticky and there were remnants of a dried unknown yellow liquid (also in photos). So...I cleaned and rewrapped everything. Sandpapered any rust I found as well as all ground connections I could locate.

I checked the junction box as you mentioned, but it was while the battery was disconnected. I'm assuming that's why it wouldn't register any volts.

To my surprise, after reconnecting the battery...
  • full power has been restored,
  • the ignition is no longer locked and the key turns,
  • the key remote works and so do all the door locks, windows, and trunk.
IT CRANKS BUT STILL WON'T TURN OVER. Considering my next step.....spark? or fuel? Or any other more likely possibilities?

Now that you have power,
Have you scanned for any saved codes?

Check for spark (lots of info on how-to test this)
Check FP at the rail.