C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by FrankW
i opt to have the marker smoked and then stuff the bulbs inside the bumper, so my marker doesn't even light up.
Frank, if I had a black car, I'd probably smoke the sidemarker with transparent black paint so that the amber light still shows up at night, but when the lights are off you can't see them! That would be a definite. Since I've got the 904 (midnight blue) paint, wouldn't look right. Only thing I've considered, but probably won't do is get the Euro impact strips.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Frank, if I had a black car, I'd probably smoke the sidemarker with transparent black paint so that the amber light still shows up at night, but when the lights are off you can't see them! That would be a definite. Since I've got the 904 (midnight blue) paint, wouldn't look right. Only thing I've considered, but probably won't do is get the Euro impact strips.
I'm with you on this one too, i think the clear sidemarkers looks awesome. Not a big fan of the Euro impact strips too.

BTW, how hard was it to replace the clear sidemarkers? Did you need any tool to pull the stock amber sidemarkers out or does it just slide out as shown on the manual.

I wanted to replace them myself but was worried that it would be too hard to do it. Also, are these clear ones water tight? I've seen some that collected water, and with small cracks and they becomed discolored. I wonder how this would fair? I know you just had them, but have you washed your car since you had them installed, and is there any sign of water going inside the sidemarkers?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:54 PM

1998 Silver C43
Originally Posted by ctC230K
technically it's not DOT legal to change from amber to clear but the cops don't seem to care or notice. if you're worried about it you could always replace the clear bulb with an amber bulb and that would take care of it.
To quote the California Vehicle Code Book:
Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

You can have your trun signal clear or amber and your light can be white or amber (as stated above) but see pic below. In US it is required to have an amber relector (not bulb) but a reflector on the front side of the car's left and right bumber. Next time you are driving look at the Import cars and you'll notice that all cars have this amber reflector. In Japan and Europe it is not required.

With the W203 when you replace this to a clear lens you are in violation of the Vehicle Code b/c the turn signal is incorporated into the reflector
Attached Thumbnails The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)-m3.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by 99SlvrC43
Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

You can have your trun signal clear or amber and your light can be white or amber (as stated above) but see pic below. In US it is required to have an amber relector (not bulb) but a reflector on the front side of the car's left and right bumber. Next time you are driving look at the Import cars and you'll notice that all cars have this amber reflector. In Japan and Europe it is not required.

With the W203 when you replace this to a clear lens you are in violation of the Vehicle Code b/c the turn signal is incorporated into the reflector
Same in CT, clear is okay in the front for turn signals but these are parking lights we're talking about not turn signals and they're supposed to reflect amber. That's one of the first things I get rid of on my cars.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Chedeng_05
BTW, how hard was it to replace the clear sidemarkers? Did you need any tool to pull the stock amber sidemarkers out or does it just slide out as shown on the manual.

I wanted to replace them myself but was worried that it would be too hard to do it. Also, are these clear ones water tight? I've seen some that collected water, and with small cracks and they becomed discolored. I wonder how this would fair? I know you just had them, but have you washed your car since you had them installed, and is there any sign of water going inside the sidemarkers?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....8&postcount=38
Go there. You need to slide them back then pull the front outward, you will need a flathead screwdriver and 5 minutes. Mine don't collect water or atleast haven't yet and i've had them for a month and had it in a carwash a couple times. If they become discolored and yellowish I would almost expect that after a year, so you buy new ones for $35 and replace them, not a big deal.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Chedeng_05
The amber sidemarkers are VERY easy to remove. Just need some patience (so you don't break anything). Use a Flathead screw driver. I think there were instructions on how to remove it somewhere on this forum, but can't remember.

The clear ones have been great, so far...(knock on wood). They are definitely not as "snug" as the OEM sidemarkers, but they are not loose either. I've had them on for about one year already (bought the euro sidemarkers immediately after getting the car) and haven't had any leaking or condensation at all. I check them ALL the time, just to make sure that they aren't getting loose anywhere. I've had a lot of experience with aftermarket clear sidemarkers, so I've done several things to manipulate the aftermarket ones to fit snug. I even invested in a hot glue gun, just in case I needed to re-seal the lights. With the help of my cousins, I've even opened up housings for many headlights (Eclipse, Galant, MX-6, M3) to possibly paint the interior black. I've considered doing that for this car, but don't want to risk not being able to re-seal the bi-xenon headlamps.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by 99SlvrC43
Turn Signal Lamps

Woah! Thanks for doin' the research on this one 99SlvrC43. Did not know the exact regulation, but it's always good to be knowledgable on this stuff.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
Originally Posted by LMing
I recently changed my city bulb to blue one also, but it looks pretty purple to me, lol here is the photo~
nice, i dont think that looks bad and i'm sure it looks much better once the BiX are on which lights are those? PIAA as well? if so, which ones?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
That's a really good idea, I never even thought of that.

I like that look, it's something different. But when everyone else is going for that look it looses it's appeal. If everyone is changing out the stock emblem for the flat emblem I'd rather have the stock emblem. Just like the CL grill, although the idea of getting the one with the 6.5 inch star is growing on me.
Am I the only one that likes the "Elegance Grill for W203 Sedans"?
get the star grill you like and paint it !!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 PM

2005 White C230 SS
Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
nice, i dont think that looks bad and i'm sure it looks much better once the BiX are on which lights are those? PIAA as well? if so, which ones?
Thanks~ I kinda like it too, it's some bulb I got from a friend in Toronto, his name is MNG on this fourm. it's some Japan bulb, it looks pretty nice with bix but problem is it won't look as bright since bix is too bright ^^here is the photo. thanks again
Attached Thumbnails The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)-dsc00235.jpg  

Last edited by LMing; 04-04-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
anyone recommend any online store to purchase the blue PIAA parking lights? all you los angeles members seem to have a lot of local places to buy parts for mods.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
anyone recommend any online store to purchase the blue PIAA parking lights? all you los angeles members seem to have a lot of local places to buy parts for mods.
Got mine from performanceproducts.com
Old 04-05-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi 225 TT.w203 sedan.Bmw 318tiCali.Ed.VW Jetta vr6
nice...anmore pics of that 5 with the black taillights in your pic?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by LowCaliTi
nice...anmore pics of that 5 with the black taillights in your pic?
Nah, but I can get some. That's my best friend's 5 series. He just smoked the taillights himself Last weekend (not this past weekend, but 1 week before). Anyways, I'll post those when I get a chance.

drex
Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM

The amber sidemarkers are VERY easy to remove. Just need some patience (so you don't break anything). Use a Flathead screw driver. I think there were instructions on how to remove it somewhere on this forum, but can't remember.

The clear ones have been great, so far...(knock on wood). They are definitely not as "snug" as the OEM sidemarkers, but they are not loose either. I've had them on for about one year already (bought the euro sidemarkers immediately after getting the car) and haven't had any leaking or condensation at all. I check them ALL the time, just to make sure that they aren't getting loose anywhere. I've had a lot of experience with aftermarket clear sidemarkers, so I've done several things to manipulate the aftermarket ones to fit snug. I even invested in a hot glue gun, just in case I needed to re-seal the lights. With the help of my cousins, I've even opened up housings for many headlights (Eclipse, Galant, MX-6, M3) to possibly paint the interior black. I've considered doing that for this car, but don't want to risk not being able to re-seal the bi-xenon headlamps.

THANKS, I'LL DEFINITELY GIVE IT A TRY.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
drexappeal...yes, can't wait to see the night shots of your parking lights. better yet, look forward to your completion of future mods. again, nice car!

everyone else..thanks for the replies on side markers.
NO_WUR_E,

Only 2 of the 10 pics I took actually came out.

Pic 1 - BIX, Parking lights (Piaa bulbs) and Fog Lamps (Nokya Arctic Purple Bulbs).

Pic 2 - Fog Lamps (Nokya Arctic Purple Bubls)

Also, to let everybody know, I've added more pics to my Yahoo picture site.
Attached Thumbnails The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)-driver-side-lights-night.jpg   The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)-nokya-arctic-purple-bulbs-night.jpg  

Last edited by drexappeal; 04-07-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
that looks great! have you noticed any degradation in performance with the fog lamps through thicker fog or lots of rain/mist? i'm considering changing mine but i dont think i would do it at the expense of safety
Old 04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
that looks great! have you noticed any degradation in performance with the fog lamps through thicker fog or lots of rain/mist? i'm considering changing mine but i dont think i would do it at the expense of safety
I've only had them on for a couple months, so the fog hasn't been too thick near my house (and it usually is - I live in the hills), especially with the weather moving into Summertime.

But, from the times that I did get a chance to drive in fog (not necessarily thick), they were actually much better than the stock fogs (because of how low they are aimed to begin with). In fact, I'm considering trying to find a way to re-wire my lights, so that the fogs can turn on independently from the headlights (and in conjuntion with the Parking lights). The BIX reflected off the fog more-so than the fog lamps w/ the Nokya bulbs in (even with the auto-levling the BIX has) and since I live in the hills NOKYA bulbs were a definite plus based on how they are aimed.

As for the PIAA Parking bulbs, I'm thinking of trying another brand to see if I can get the Parking lights a little brighter...If that fails, I'm just gonna get some chrome hyper-white bulbs. Regardless, there's no way I'll be able to come close to matching the BIX...but these bulbs DEFINITELY look better than the stock bulbs!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
How do you open up the fog lights to change the bulbs?
It doesn't say in the manual and I don't wanna break anything.

I've only had them on for a couple months, so the fog hasn't been too thick near my house (and it usually is - I live in the hills), especially with the weather moving into Summertime.

But, from the times that I did get a chance to drive in fog (not necessarily thick), they were actually much better than the stock fogs (because of how low they are aimed to begin with). In fact, I'm considering trying to find a way to re-wire my lights, so that the fogs can turn on independently from the headlights (and in conjuntion with the Parking lights). The BIX reflected off the fog more-so than the fog lamps w/ the Nokya bulbs in (even with the auto-levling the BIX has) and since I live in the hills NOKYA bulbs were a definite plus based on how they are aimed.

As for the PIAA Parking bulbs, I'm thinking of trying another brand to see if I can get the Parking lights a little brighter...If that fails, I'm just gonna get some chrome hyper-white bulbs. Regardless, there's no way I'll be able to come close to matching the BIX...but these bulbs DEFINITELY look better than the stock bulbs!
You know that if you turn the headlights on and then pull the fog light switch then turn the lights to parking lamps the fog lights stay on and headlights turn off with just the fog lights and parking lights lit?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
drexappeal,

thanks for the night shots! it gives us a pretty good idea with it. you've convince me that it's better than the stock bulbs.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

How do you open up the fog lights to change the bulbs?
It doesn't say in the manual and I don't wanna break anything.

You know that if you turn the headlights on and then pull the fog light switch then turn the lights to parking lamps the fog lights stay on and headlights turn off with just the fog lights and parking lights lit?
Replied to your PM about the fog lights. I was too lazy to follow the instructions I found on this board, so I paid the dealership to put them in. Only $20, so I didn't mind (saved me time and effort ), but if you want to do them yourself, the instructions I gave you should work...however, since I know by looking at your signature that you have an '05, you might want to ask the AMG peeps, since the AMG bumper might be a little different.

Really? I've tried that before, but it didn't work. You think it might be a difference between the MY'04.5 VS. MY '05? Just in case, I'm gonna try that tonight because it makes sense that it's possible to do that, since the "safety" lighting feature has the parking lights and fogs on when you lock the car...

Thanks, ctC230K. I'm gonna try tonight.

Last edited by drexappeal; 04-07-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
you know what, the dealer claims the reason my headlight switch is not backlit could be because the second production half of the 05's might have tried to save money in this area and not backlighting the switch.
they actually pulled the switch apart and there are NO LEDs in that area, OMFGWTF?? what do i do now? he even pulled their 05 c230s and c240's they had on the lot into the shop and turned the headlights on and their switches ARE backlit but mine isn't and the new switch they sent from G-Land isn't either.

Replied to your PM about the fog lights. I was too lazy to follow the instructions I found on this board, so I paid the dealership to put them in. Only $20, so I didn't mind (saved me time and effort ), but if you want to do them yourself, the instructions I gave you should work...however, since I know by looking at your signature that you have an '05, you might want to ask the AMG peeps, since the AMG bumper might be a little different.

Really? I've tried that before, but it didn't work. You think it might be a difference between the MY'04.5 VS. MY '05? Just in case, I'm gonna try that tonight because it makes sense that it's possible to do that, since the "safety" lighting feature has the parking lights and fogs on when you lock the car...

Thanks, ctC230K. I'm gonna try tonight.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

you know what, the dealer claims the reason my headlight switch is not backlit could be because the second production half of the 05's might have tried to save money in this area and not backlighting the switch.
they actually pulled the switch apart and there are NO LEDs in that area, OMFGWTF?? what do i do now? he even pulled their 05 c230s and c240's they had on the lot into the shop and turned the headlights on and their switches ARE backlit but mine isn't and the new switch they sent from G-Land isn't either.
Are you serious? That *** sucks! You should ask them if they can replace the switch with an earlier model '04.5 or before. Either that or you could always splurge, get the Euro Folding mirrors and convex mirrors from Steve! The headlight switch needs to be replaced for the folding mirrors anyway and those are definitely backlit. At some point I'm definitely gonna be doing that down the line. Priorities are TEIN coilovers (once they're out), rims and kit. After that, I'm gonna be ordering up from Steve once again!

BTW, what you told me DID work! Thanks for that. For some reason it worked when I tried it tonight...Who knows why it didn't work when I tried it before?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
cool.
yeah he's gotta ask his manaj0r to see WTF's up. the car's leased anyway so no euro folding mirrors for me.
the biggest mod i'm thinking of doing are the wheels.

Are you serious? That *** sucks! You should ask them if they can replace the switch with an earlier model '04.5 or before. Either that or you could always splurge, get the Euro Folding mirrors and convex mirrors from Steve! The headlight switch needs to be replaced for the folding mirrors anyway and those are definitely backlit. At some point I'm definitely gonna be doing that down the line. Priorities are TEIN coilovers (once they're out), rims and kit. After that, I'm gonna be ordering up from Steve once again!

BTW, what you told me DID work! Thanks for that. For some reason it worked when I tried it tonight...Who knows why it didn't work when I tried it before?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

cool.
yeah he's gotta ask his manaj0r to see WTF's up. the car's leased anyway so no euro folding mirrors for me.
the biggest mod i'm thinking of doing are the wheels.
Yeah. That's not even right. And if the manager can't do it, you should check with another dealership. Good luck with that though! Usually I don't trust dealerships, but the one I go to close to my house is cool, which is why I let them do the fog lamps.

Let me know how it goes with your fogs. I tried to search in the C32/C55 forum to see if they had any threads started to replace the fog lamps, but what I found wasn't really conclusive. Ask FrankW. He might actually know if replacing the fog bulbs is different with the AMG bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The History of Drexappeal's Ride (9/1/09 Post 1309 - Nitto INVO Tires Installed)