C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone know what's wrong??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 SC
Anyone know what's wrong??

I pulled out of my parking spot yesterday after work and headed towards the parking lot exit. I drove for about a minute or two and noticed quite a bit of hesitation while accelerating. I stepped on the gas a little to see whether this would go away as I drove faster -- it didn't. I double checked to see whether the parking brake was depressed -- it wasn't.

I was really worried, so I stepped on the brake and made sure everything was in the correct position (car was in auto mode D and not manual mode 1, parking brake was not depressed, no error/malfunction messages on the dash). Since I couldn't find anything wrong, I stepped on the gas again.. this time the car was fine. I still noticed a slight hesitation in the beginning, but as I started accelerating, the hesitation went away.

It was pretty scary -- felt as if my car was "stuck" in first gear!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by SpicyC320
I pulled out of my parking spot yesterday after work and headed towards the parking lot exit. I drove for about a minute or two and noticed quite a bit of hesitation while accelerating. I stepped on the gas a little to see whether this would go away as I drove faster -- it didn't. I double checked to see whether the parking brake was depressed -- it wasn't.

I was really worried, so I stepped on the brake and made sure everything was in the correct position (car was in auto mode D and not manual mode 1, parking brake was not depressed, no error/malfunction messages on the dash). Since I couldn't find anything wrong, I stepped on the gas again.. this time the car was fine. I still noticed a slight hesitation in the beginning, but as I started accelerating, the hesitation went away.

Sooo....your basically saying your car was still in the process of warming up (emissions factor for the cats in our car's..STF for info, believe it's in the owners man. also) and this worried you ?

Please next time do a search before starting a new thread..
Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
Originally Posted by SpicyC320

Do you mean that the tranny was stuck in first and wouldn't shift to second? Or do you mean something else? My car, twice, did this (wouldn't shift to second) but both times it was very cold out (this is in Boston) and I didn't warm the car up much; I just eased off the gas, and tried again. It hasn't happened since, but that's because for the rest of the winter, I drove in 'C' mode.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 SC
Originally Posted by raunen
Do you mean that the tranny was stuck in first and wouldn't shift to second? Or do you mean something else? My car, twice, did this (wouldn't shift to second) but both times it was very cold out (this is in Boston) and I didn't warm the car up much; I just eased off the gas, and tried again. It hasn't happened since, but that's because for the rest of the winter, I drove in 'C' mode.
No, it's not because it was cold out and it's not because the car hasn't warmed up yet. But, it just felt like the tranny won't switch to second gear.

I've used the TouchShift in this car before and what happened this time feels like what would happen when I put it in 1 and drive at the same speed for a while (before I switch to 2). It felt like the car won't go past a certain speed despite that I stepped on the gas enough to make the car go much faster than it was going.

During the winter, I sometimes experience slight hesitation with the car but that usually goes away really soon (for example, after I ease off the gas and step on it again or after accelerating past a certain point). But this time, easing off the gas/trying it again didn't do the trick. Stepping on the gas a little more didn't work either. I had to bring the car to a full stop for a minute or so and then try again for the hesitation to go away.

It worries me because this seems way out of the ordinary. It felt different from what happens when it is cold out or when the car hasn't been warmed up and the hesitation lasted much longer than in those situations.

I don't know too much about the mechanicals of a car, and that's why I'm asking forum members for any help they can provide me with (past experience or suggestions on what possibly could be wrong). I frequent the forum fairly often and I have not come across any postings about situations like mine.

Thanks,
Janice

Last edited by SpicyC320; 04-21-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
SPicyC320, don't mind respdoc, he's just an a$$ hole...... YOu might want to get ur car check out with the dealership.... THere was a recall on alot of MB's so it might be your tranny as I got my tranny replaced....