C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rear Pop up visor not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Rear Pop up visor not working?

Just bbought my car (2001 C320) and now the rear pop up visor wont come up when I press the button. I can hear it clicking in the rear. Iv got an extended warranty but if its somethings small then Ill just fix it myself. Im am a mechanic and Im fully capable of fixing it. Just wanted to know if this is a common problem.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
I have experience the same problem. I have noticed that when I leave the car sitting in the sun all day, i.e. at work, then the rear shade will not go up. However, it will go up as soon as the car cools an hour later. Since noticing that I have parked in the shade and I haven't had any problems, knock on wood.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My '01 C320 rear visor does the same thing....and more...it gets stuck at all points going up or down. If I manually push and pull the visor when stuck it usually 'catches' and returns to a home position once the button is pushed again.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
same problemo...they had changed some gear or some mechanism because they found some unusual grease on it, but it's still doing the same thing occationally. I will have them checked again soon. personally it's not that big of a deal cuz i really don't use it much after I got the tint, but it's buggin me as hell when something doesn't work right on the car lolz.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I had a C320 loaner a few months back with 32 miles on it. Rear sunshade didn't work.

NICE! Benz Kwaulitee.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Outland
I had a C320 loaner a few months back with 32 miles on it. Rear sunshade didn't work.

NICE! Benz Kwaulitee.
LOLz...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:06 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
same freaking problem! 01 C320. I finally just gave up on it and a week or so later i for some reason decided to try it again... worked! Got stuck once or twice immediately after that, including in the up possition and a few times in an 80% up possition. Wierdness. I just try to use it as little as possible now, rather than playing with it all of the time (especially at stoplights just to laugh at people in cheaper! lol! i had one guy get all pissy once after i raised it in front of him, geez.)
Old 05-11-2006, 11:27 AM

'02 MB C240 6spd / '92 BMW 325i 5spd
Everytime I go to work I always raise the rear sunshade when the sun is out.
Yesterday it felt like an inferno here in S. Florida and as usual I raise my sunshade but when I was going home it wont go down anymore. I can hear a click whenever I push the button but nothing so the fuse couldnt have blown. So I thought to myself maybe its too hot and I left in my garage for it to cool down and today it still doesnt go down.

Any ideas what could it be? Its annoying driving with that up all the time.
Its a '02 c240
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
If you press the buttons and nothing happens at all...

Check the fuse in the rear (trunk) fuse box. Fuse #20 (bottom row and left most fuse... it's labelled #20). Pull the fuse and check for any oxidation on the connections, and clean the fuse blades and slots, if needed.

My shade has always worked well for nearly 5 years, until recently, when it refused to raise at all. I checked the fuse list (driver's side dash box) and found there are two fuses for the rear windshield blind.

For some reason, the #20 fuse had some oxidation/corrosion. Once cleaned, the shade works fine now. HTH.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
If you press the buttons and nothing happens at all...

Check the fuse in the rear (trunk) fuse box. Fuse #20 (bottom row and left most fuse... it's labelled #20). Pull the fuse and check for any oxidation on the connections, and clean the fuse blades and slots, if needed.

My shade has always worked well for nearly 5 years, until recently, when it refused to raise at all. I checked the fuse list (driver's side dash box) and found there are two fuses for the rear windshield blind.

For some reason, the #20 fuse had some oxidation/corrosion. Once cleaned, the shade works fine now. HTH.
I checked both fuses and they are good. When I push the up/down button I hear a click from the sunshade. Could it be that the motor blew?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by YoYiTo
I checked both fuses and they are good. When I push the up/down button I hear a click from the sunshade. Could it be that the motor blew?
Just to be clear, my fuses were intact (not blown), as well. But the connector was slightly oxidized. I had to lightly sand the blades on the fuse to remove the oxidation and wedge some sandpaper into the contacts in the fuse slots. This made the connection a little loose, so I then bowed the blades with a long nose plier to make them fit tight, again.

I have no idea about the motor. Sorry. I couldn't tell from the driver's seat whether the unit was clicking before I found the oxidation.

This is a fairly common complaint (the shade not working). We've had several threads about it before. So you can do a search to find other discussions. It could be any number of issues, including the motor. In my case, however, it was a simple fiddling with the fuse and its holder... a broken circuit, electrical continuity issue rather than a blown fuse. Hope that's clearer, now.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:31 PM

08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Just DO IT

Mine happend Exactly like that... while under bumper / bumper warranty though....

Stealer replaced it, I think it's the motor. or other moving parts that is out of synch.

IF you have the extended warranty CHECK TO SEE if it's cover, if so GET IT FIX.

if not take it a part and play with it, then buy the part or the whole assembly then do it your self.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2006, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my warranty is gone already .

Does anyone know how can I lower it for the mean time?
Im going to try to fix it this weekend.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM

mine was doing the clicking thing as well. i figured it was jammed and tried to unjam/dejam it. i got it pushed down a little and then the motor seemes to work properly again. However, occasionally it will get stuck at the possition I pushed it down to (about 1/5 down) and not go further. However, I can then raise it again. If, when it's in that locked 1/5 possition, i push it until it comes unstuck the shade will go up and down without issue once again.

I have linked it to raising/lowering the shade while playing music very loudly. But, it does get stuck other times and I haven't managed to link it to anything else.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Does anybody notice that sometimes the sunshade rattles as well? For example, when the sunshade is down and the subwoofers are on, the sunshade rattles.

I hope this doesn't mean that mine will break any time soon because of the rattling.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by patrick_y
Does anybody notice that sometimes the sunshade rattles as well? For example, when the sunshade is down and the subwoofers are on, the sunshade rattles.

I hope this doesn't mean that mine will break any time soon because of the rattling.
what rattles is the first aid kit.

does anyone know how to push the visor down manually? I tried to push it down but I dont want to use too much force and break it.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I don't think so, my first aid kit is in the trunk. I forgot to mention, in my previous post, that when the sunshade is up, the subwoofer doesn't seem to rattle anymore.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by YoYiTo
does anyone know how to push the visor down manually? I tried to push it down but I dont want to use too much force and break it.
well you can't push it down per se. What you can do is get it unstuck, then use the button to retract it. What you'll have to do is push the side rails inward. It will take some force and you don't want to push it too far but, just enough to get it unstuck should allow the mechanism to work properly again.

I don't think so, my first aid kit is in the trunk. I forgot to mention, in my previous post, that when the sunshade is up, the subwoofer doesn't seem to rattle anymore.
Some people do experience rattling due to the first aid kit. However, I have noticed that I experience rattling when the shade is down. Raising it makes the rattling go way in my case. What I have found it that raising it just a fraction can solve the issue. Push 'up' and then just a moment later push 'down' and see if that solves the rattling.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I can't stand rattlings. American cars are supposed to rattle. Japanese cars that are made in the US are supposed to rattle.

Japanese cars made in Japan don't rattle.

German cars made in Germany aren't supposed to rattle, but some of them do!

I wonder if Italian cars rattle.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 PM

Metro Card : (
I can't stand rattlings. American cars are supposed to rattle. Japanese cars that are made in the US are supposed to rattle.

Japanese cars made in Japan don't rattle.

German cars made in Germany aren't supposed to rattle, but some of them do!

I wonder if Italian cars rattle.
My C was a tin-can. It had about every rattle, creak and hum described in the sticky of this forum!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by jsloan01
My C was a tin-can. It had about every rattle, creak and hum described in the sticky of this forum!!
I don't have that many rattles, but one rattle will seriously bug me to death.

The C does have a few rattles here and there. Definitely will not consider a car like this in the future. Cars are not supposed to rattle. Even Jaguars don't rattle.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Today I changed the fuses and the relay and I get the same result. I test the wires that goes to the motor and there is juice when the up/down button is pressed. The only thing that I cant think of is that the motor is gone.

Does anyone know how cant I remove the motor and how to manually lower the sunshade? I tried to force it down but little sucker is strong and I dont want to use too much force to break anything.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Post some info

First of all, it's not a "sun visor" as the thread titled, it is a "rear sun shades"

When mine broke ....

The dealer was working from both rear seats and trunk because there was some "stain" on my rear seats after the work was done.

If you clear your trunk, and look up you will see the sunshade assembly( looks like a stainless / aluminum bar, there are screws there, un screw it then pull the unit out from the rear seats.

Your problem is the Motor, it is off track, so all you have to do is try to aligne it back on track and it should roll.

Have fun.

Last edited by mbz4810; 05-12-2006 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Minty Fresh (08-10-2016)
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Try moving/forcing it with your hand while someone holds the switch in the down position (I think the key needs to be 'on' as well). Mine periodically gets stuck in various positions and that seems to free it.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Cool Rattle

I don't have that many rattles, but one rattle will seriously bug me to death.

The C does have a few rattles here and there. Definitely will not consider a car like this in the future. Cars are not supposed to rattle. Even Jaguars don't rattle.

Hey Patric,

I know what you mean about rattle / rubbing / any other small annoying sounds ( also with the windows) GRrr!!!

As for your sunshades, if they are older, when you roll back in to the assembly it may not roll as tigh as it suppose to be, therefore the shades itself is light and thin and next to the woofer, so that's where you rattle comes from.

Try this, to test, leave your shades on overnight, then roll it back in and observe to see if there are any excess material hanging out (mine was like that ) if so you can try to fix it by

1. roll shades up to full

2. roll down 2/3 way , press button again it will stop.

3. Wait ( like 10 min??)

4. Roll down again to 1/3 way,

5. Wait

6. Finally roll all the way down. and stop using it for a long period of time or even use it at all. hopefully it stays tight and snug.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Pop up visor not working?