C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non-MB
Originally Posted by infected
Has anyone tried the xenon festoon dome lights from autolumination?
They're not LED's so they might work without having to use resistors.

Yeah, they burn out and melted the ends of the cover that holds the bulb as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
oh... that sounds toasty
nevermind then
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 AM

'02 C230 Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by outaurleague
Here are mine, not NEARLY as bright as some, but the cops are *****y here for anything not normal.
Those look fine as far as brightness goes.

These are mine on my work car. They're 4-led festoons from superbrightleds.com. I think they look comparable in brightness to yours. My tails are LED also.
I would like to put LEDs on the Benz, but I don't want any issues.
Attached Thumbnails Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-focusleds2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
so I was using the 7 LED festoon bulbs on my M3. they worked perfectly for 4 months. on friday one of the bulbs started to flicker. then some of the LED's went out. now both bulbs flickered and some LED's are out.

I went back to stock, but I ordered a new set from jlevisw.

damn, why are these things so much of a damn pain in the ***?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 ML500
nlpamg, do you know the wattage on your stock M3 bulbs and aftermarket LED's? Did you use resistors?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 AM

w211 e500
Originally Posted by Moon-Coupe
Those look fine as far as brightness goes.

These are mine on my work car. They're 4-led festoons from superbrightleds.com. I think they look comparable in brightness to yours. My tails are LED also.
I would like to put LEDs on the Benz, but I don't want any issues.
Oh okay, yes they do look good. But i was compairing them to Kenzmbz -his looks like a damn Jumbotron light. That is the look to get. But yours, like mine, looks like the Lexus lighting, Kenzmbz are insane!

Btw Kenzmbz, what light did you use ?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 PM

AMG GTS
UPDATE on my lights (got signals and license plate bulbs):
Well I almost stepped on the tiny little package all the bulbs came in...it was about the size of a jewelery box (the small kind)...I was surprised...ripped it open and quickly ran back to the car (just got home from long day of school). I fit on the Chrome-Painted Amber turn signal bulbs...front and back....tried them...and they work just great. My opinion though on these...if you haven't noticed...our signal lights seem to stand out compared to some other cars....or in my case...my signals are about twice as bright as my Lexus RX300's signal lights...when I switched to these chrome ones...that brightness got dulled...these bulbs will still get the job done but they won't be as "overly intense" i guess you could say...as for the Xenon Festoon Bulbs...pfft...these pieces of s*** didn't even turn on...gave me a nice error message instead...so I guess i'll save these to play with when i'm bored in class...i'm going to order AutoLumination's regular Incandescent Festoon Bulb in their blue color...if this gives me any luck I will tell you guys (difference between the Incandescent Festoon Bulb and Xenon bulb should be that the Xenon was just drawing too much electricity or something and that's why it didn't even go on...or at least that is what I suppose happened).
Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 ML500
Make sure the license plate bulbs are 5W.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 AM

c230 Kompressor Coupe
I hope someone finds a permanent LED bulb that everyone can all agree works and everyone would able to buy. I dont wanna have to deal with resistors and what not since I don't know how to work that stuff. -_-
Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Originally Posted by ChristianJan
I hope someone finds a permanent LED bulb that everyone can all agree works and everyone would able to buy. I dont wanna have to deal with resistors and what not since I don't know how to work that stuff. -_-
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM

'02 C230 Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by ChristianJan
If you use LEDs...You'll need resistors.
All we need is to have the right combination of the two.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by infected
nlpamg, do you know the wattage on your stock M3 bulbs and aftermarket LED's? Did you use resistors?
no, unfortunately I don't...

they're the same bulb as the w203 though. but I didn't have to use resistors with the aftermarket LED's. I should have the new LED's I ordered from jlevisw tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how that goes...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 ML500
alright sounds good
keep us updated
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
I can't wait until there's an easy plug-and-play, or at least something close enough, that doesn't require too much work to upgrade the license plate lights.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

06' E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kevblah
I can't wait until there's an easy plug-and-play, or at least something close enough, that doesn't require too much work to upgrade the license plate lights.
Well, as I've mentioned before. I bought these:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-2067.cfm

Put in my W211 and works perfectly so far.

Here's a pix of the difference between stock and that. More pix coming
Attached Thumbnails Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-dsc02668.jpg  
Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Can anyone else confirm that these will work...or if there are any long-term effects?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 PM

AMG GTS
Hey guys I just got some Clear Sidemarkers (eBay) and some LicensePlate Bulbs (Autolumination.com) I have put everything on and only gotten pictures of the sidemarkers...I will post pics up tonight on how the license plate lights are...from what I see...they are really REALLY blue...hopefully not too overboard (I like just a plain clean look)...but I have however attached pictures of my sidemarkers...I thought they would look too ricey and when I opened the package they looked like horrible quality and I thought "man, what a waste of 30 bucks or so..." but when I put them on I though "hey! they don't look half too bad...and I got a cracked sidemarker anyways...better this way."...tell me what you guys think of the sidemarkers on my car (I know i'ts been discussed 5839532089 times...just wanna gather an opinion as every car looks different in its own detailed way haha)

Again...will post up pics of the license plate bulbs I got from AutoLumination.com tonight!
The one's I ordered are in the "6418" festoon dome light bulb section...just wait till the page loads and scroll ALL the way down...it is the product 2nd from the bottom (do NOT get the one's at the very bottom..the Xenon ones don't work and I have heard many electrical problems with this...along with housing melting)...I chose the 39mm fitment with blue color
Attached Thumbnails Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-008.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-009.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-010.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-012.jpg  
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by c230K415
Hey guys I just got some Clear Sidemarkers (eBay) and some LicensePlate Bulbs (Autolumination.com) I have put everything on and only gotten pictures of the sidemarkers...I will post pics up tonight on how the license plate lights are...from what I see...they are really REALLY blue...hopefully not too overboard (I like just a plain clean look)...but I have however attached pictures of my sidemarkers...I thought they would look too ricey and when I opened the package they looked like horrible quality and I thought "man, what a waste of 30 bucks or so..." but when I put them on I though "hey! they don't look half too bad...and I got a cracked sidemarker anyways...better this way."...tell me what you guys think of the sidemarkers on my car (I know i'ts been discussed 5839532089 times...just wanna gather an opinion as every car looks different in its own detailed way haha)

Again...will post up pics of the license plate bulbs I got from AutoLumination.com tonight!
The one's I ordered are in the "6418" festoon dome light bulb section...just wait till the page loads and scroll ALL the way down...it is the product 2nd from the bottom (do NOT get the one's at the very bottom..the Xenon ones don't work and I have heard many electrical problems with this...along with housing melting)...I chose the 39mm fitment with blue color
I also thought that the clear side markers would be a little ricey and cheap when I first saw mine in the mail. After putting them in, I thought they looked really nice. Mine started fogging up today, but oh well...eBay. But anyways, the stock bulb seems a little too yellowish for me. I might be replacing it with something less yellow.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by kevblah
I also thought that the clear side markers would be a little ricey and cheap when I first saw mine in the mail. After putting them in, I thought they looked really nice. Mine started fogging up today, but oh well...eBay. But anyways, the stock bulb seems a little too yellowish for me. I might be replacing it with something less yellow.
Eh...if your sidemarker looks like mine...I would not be surprised at all that it is fogging up...you can see the glue they used to put the pieces together...but oh well...ya get what ya pay for (I am switching to Euro. Impact strips soon maybe)...and for the bulbs...yeah I was going to go to KRagen's to get some amber ones...but I re-thought it and decided to maybe find something to match my headlights more. Maybe the same thing I use for my City Light...which is the blue Polarg W5W bulb...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by c230K415
Eh...if your sidemarker looks like mine...I would not be surprised at all that it is fogging up...you can see the glue they used to put the pieces together...but oh well...ya get what ya pay for (I am switching to Euro. Impact strips soon maybe)...and for the bulbs...yeah I was going to go to KRagen's to get some amber ones...but I re-thought it and decided to maybe find something to match my headlights more. Maybe the same thing I use for my City Light...which is the blue Polarg W5W bulb...
Yeah, the amber ones are more street legal, I guess...but it really does look nicer if it matches the rest of the lights on the front of your car. Don't put in bulbs that are too bright, because people have direct sight of that bulb, not a reflection of it...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
Originally Posted by hazehk
Well, as I've mentioned before. I bought these:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-2067.cfm

Put in my W211 and works perfectly so far.

Here's a pix of the difference between stock and that. More pix coming
i heard about some people using these bulbs and it started melting the lens cuz the wattage makes the bulbs very hott but i dont know for sure..
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 AM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
i heard about some people using these bulbs and it started melting the lens cuz the wattage makes the bulbs very hott but i dont know for sure..
Yeah, you're correct Kat...Just gotta make sure they're not too whatever in their advertising...like "SUPER BRIGHT blah blah blah"...Can always e-mail question about wattage...but that is somewhat troubling with companies like eautoworks.com

Well I got a chance to take some pictures of the license plate bulbs I got in from AutoLumination.com ... also happy because I am testing out my new camera (really great gift from my uncle)...and here they are...I think they are too blue...what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-001.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-002.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-003.jpg   Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread-pics-004.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 01:35 AM

White C
dman those are bright bluee....they look better then my painted Lights...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Yeah, those would be too overkill for my car. Looking for something along the lines of white.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM

w211 e500
more like mine ?

Last edited by outaurleague; 03-29-2007 at 01:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-White & LED License Plate Lights thread