C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

silly question for sedan owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
silly question for sedan owners

As I was unlocking my car to return from lunch I had a thought. Do the sedan's unlock just the driver's door or all of them when the Smart Key button is pushed? The coupe's key unlocks both doors and the hatch. Most of the other cars I've seen with remote unlocking only unlock the driver's door with a single push of the "unlock" botton - with a second push necessary to unlock all of the doors. It seems unsafe (especially for women) if the key for sedans also unlocks all of the doors with a single push.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Good response, C230Jeff. It's nice to see that someone's been reading their owner's manual!

Now, if we can just convince a few others... :p
Old 08-01-2002, 05:51 PM

W203
still haven't received mine yet, until then I'll be asking silly questions
Old 08-01-2002, 05:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
thanks Jeff

I, for one do not read the owner's manual
Old 08-01-2002, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Thanks, Jeff

I didn't have the owner's manual with me - too big to fit in the jockey box with the CD changer. I leave it at home in a bookcase. While were on the subject, I'm not super impressed with the manual anyway. There have been a couple of things (which I can't remember off the top of my head) that I could never find in the manual.

Later, BT
Old 08-01-2002, 06:04 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
trench...

there is a net for holding the owner's manual on the left side of the passenger side right by the left leg.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Clarification: Even when selected to just open the drivers door, it will still open the other 3 doors when the button is pushed a second time.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by FrankW
there is a net for holding the owner's manual on the left side of the passenger side right by the left leg.
Yeah, I know a lot of people use the net for that. For some reason I don't like keeping it there. Maybe because it looks too much like something that would be worth stealing to a thief (like a day planner, or something that might have a credit card stashed in it). I like to leave the interior completely barren of any temptation. I knew a guy in college who essentially got all of his spending money by stealing radar detectors (smash and grab)and selling them to a fence - probably even easier these days with eBay.

Later, BT
Old 08-02-2002, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Trench, the manual fits in the space under the first aid kit. Slide it in vertical next to the fuse block. It's out of the way, yet available when you need it.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I like getting all doors unlocked, so I programmed the remote control to unlock all at once.
Manual fits really good on the glove box, and it is still of easy reach.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by trench
While were on the subject, I'm not super impressed with the manual anyway. There have been a couple of things (which I can't remember off the top of my head) that I could never find in the manual.
trench, your comment reminds me of my auto broker who got my car for me. He likes to read the manual himself, so he can impress me with his knowledge when he delivers the car.

Anyway, as he delivered the car, he observed, "Gee I just can't get into that German manual. I looked through it for a couple hours trying to find out how to set the clock, and even though I found the section and read it three times, I still didn't understand it." So, he apologized for not setting the clock. He was VERY frustrated...

Now, for my part, I found the section in question, and the instructions were very logical for me to follow... I had the clock set in no time at all. However, the instructions on the Homelink garage controller made no sense to me. I found a better explanation in the abbreviated, spiral bound, quick answer booklet.

Point is, the manual makes sense to some and is baffling to others. Just goes to show how we are all different in how we think, read, learn, chew gum, etc.

BTW all, I have no problem stowing my owners manual in it's plastic case in my glove box beneath the CD player. I don't have Comand on my car, and I've seen that separate manual. So, I can see how a set of papers that include the Comand manual would NOT fit. As a practical matter, I keep my paperwork case in the cubbyhole to one side of my trunk. Months ago, someone mentioned they keep theirs in place of the ski-sack behind the center arm rest in the fold-down seats (C3 option-sedan). Or you can use the first aid kit space, as well.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:45 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB
...However, the instructions on the Homelink garage controller made no sense to me. I found a better explanation in the abbreviated, spiral bound, quick answer booklet.
I had a hard time too. I actually got instructions from the Homelink website. What the Benz manual doesn't tell you, is that you may (and most likely will have to if you have a new version garage door opener) have to sync the controller with the actual controller on the garage door motor. There is a button on the motor which sends out the security signal so that the car can learn it.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by Boo2

I had a hard time too. I actually got instructions from the Homelink website. What the Benz manual doesn't tell you, is that you may (and most likely will have to if you have a new version garage door opener) have to sync the controller with the actual controller on the garage door motor. There is a button on the motor which sends out the security signal so that the car can learn it.
Actually, it does tell you this. I'm not sure if it's in the main manual, or the small abbreviated one, but I remember reading that if your opener has rolling codes, you should refer to your garage door opener manual on how to sync the two.

I don't remember having any problems with the manual at all.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by revstriker
Actually, it does tell you this. I'm not sure if it's in the main manual, or the small abbreviated one, but I remember reading that if your opener has rolling codes, you should refer to your garage door opener manual on how to sync the two.

I don't remember having any problems with the manual at all.
Mine was a non-homelink system. What the maual doesn't explain clearly (but the spiral abbreviated one does) is that you have to hold the right and left buttons simultaneously for several seconds to clear the Homelink programming before you resync it to a non-homelink transmitter.