C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: C230, a poor man's Mercedes?
Yes
44.19%
NO
55.81%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Poor mans Mercedes is like saying the cheap Rolex! The BMW 318ti was a cheap car as it was the only one to have a 4 cylinder and no features. Our cars have the same engine found in a $40k+ car and lots of goodies that are not found in a low end car. Hey, for the same money I could have bought the top of the line Honda, but its still a Honda not a Benz.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Originally posted by mdp c230k
Hey, for the same money I could have bought the top of the line Honda, but its still a Honda not a Benz.
I would have...the S2000 looks better and is faster. But i forgot, a "Honda is a Honda..not a benz" (and we think s-class and slk owners are snobs ) <------i think for people who try to defend thier c230k...this is a pretty hypocritical statement.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by *****

i think for people who try to defend thier c230k...this is a pretty hypocritical statement.
why woulden't people who like there car defend it?

Can u answer that u *****? LOL :p
Old 08-17-2002, 04:28 PM

E500
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

why woulden't people who like there car defend it?

Can u answer that u *****? LOL :p
Simple...Its good to defend your car...but not by putting other cars down.

BTW...i like your calipers...it gives it that sportty look.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by *****

Simple...Its good to defend your car...but not by putting other cars down.

BTW...i like your calipers...it gives it that sportty look.
thanks,

Not many people here put down anyother cars though.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:15 PM

E500
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

thanks,

Not many people here put down anyother cars though.
Thats why i specifically pointed out his post.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:14 PM

Personally, I don't really think of it as "my cheap mercedes", I think of it as "my expensive hatchback". I bought a Mercedes because of this particular car, I didn't buy this car because it was a Mercedes. I'm not a huge fan of any of the other models, this was the first benz that really caught my eye. If this car was not offered, I would never have bought a Mercedes at my age. This car appeals to the young crowd like me, and the young at heart.

I happen to like hatchbacks, I don't have the retarded notion that a hatch is not a preferable configuration, I happen to find it extremely useful. Between lugging around gear for karate, snowboarding, rollerblading, driving friends around, and still wanting a safe sporty little car, I can't think of any other car that offers the same features that this car does. *THAT* is why I bought the car, not because I was lured by the brand name.

Don't get me wrong, Mercedes is a great brand. But I buy based on my needs, not what marketing tells me that I want. If Mercedes offered a $25K car that didn't have a hatch I wouldn't have even considered it. You can keep your more expensive Mercedes, those cars don't appeal to me. But talk to me again when I'm stodgy old ******* who never gets off my ***, and maybe my tastes will have changed.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
The glass is not half empty, it is half full .
Old 08-19-2002, 02:26 AM

whats poor???

I'm 26 and I've owned a 1983 300CD and a 1987 300D. Because both of these cars were over 10 years old I guess meant more than buying a brand new 2003 C230K with C1, C4, C5, C7, COMAND, TeleAid and CD changer which came to a total of $34K USD. Both of my previious M-B's didn't cost this much put together when I bought them. But I guess since they were bigger than that meant they were that much better. I owned a 2000 VW NewBeetle. I love hatch backs, and better yet love small cars and even more than that and most of all love Mercedes-Benz. Fortunately I'm not like most SUV, big car, gas hog, single driver, wasting away all natural resources while wanting the cheapest priced gasoline (is that poor mans gas??) Amercican. I prefer deisels or small cars. If the C220CDI was available here I would buy it, but its not and I cant afford a E300D and prefer the C230K over a Jetta TDI. I'm still proud of buying a C230K. Keep trying to make yourself feel good about your car, and just remember that a Mercedes is a Mercedes, and if you lived in Europe would you ask if the A-class and SMART's were the real poor man's MB.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MagmaSilk
i agree w/ boo ... there are difference classes of benzs. and i draw the line at those models that get all the fancy toys and tech ... the top being those that get airmatic suspension, brake by wire, air-conditioned seat, and of course a price tag that often better matches a small condo than car ... ie, E , S, CL, SL.

everybody else is still a MB but not quite in the same class. my SLK is often called a "poor man's" SL ... which is kinda true ... i dont mind ... tho i prefer "baby" SL or "lil bro" SL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unfortunately here in San Diego, I just sold my 630 sq ft 1 bd/1ba (no garage, just assigned parking) condo for $210,000. I think that falls somewhere between an S600 and a Maybach.

Also I'm gay, I drove a New Beetle (considered a gay car), I bought C230K which appreared in a gay magazine as a top 10 gay mans car, and I'm replying to this gay thread too. I'm more gay than I thought and more gay than my republican family would like to admit to

Last edited by SilverStarC230; 08-19-2002 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:27 AM

C32 AMG
Re: whats poor???

Originally posted by SilverStarC230
unfortunately here in San Diego, I just sold my 630 sq ft 1 bd/1ba (no garage, just assigned parking) condo for $210,000. I think that falls somewhere between an S600 and a Maybach.
Okay, now where would you park it? I've never seen an S600 parked in an assigned parking spot.

Anyways, people will always view the lowest model of most products as the "cheap" version. There will always be an exception to every rule. Yes, even the lowest model Rolex is called a "Cheap Rolex". The arguement that "I could have bought a more expensive Benz" should be consistent and also apply to owners of every model class that Mercedes sells. An E-Class owner would say that he could've bought an S and so on. Few people, such as BlackC230Coupe, have really backed up their claim by buying another higher model car. Maybe the "poor man's" notion should be replaced with "cheap" since I guess there are many "Rich"men who are buying cheap cars. (And by cheap I mean cost cheap NOT quality cheap). The very notion that Mercedes has different classes of cars with different prices shows that the company has every intention of putting their cars in the garages of all social classes. With this in mind, the bottom model will always be referred to as the "cheap" or "poor man's" benz.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:56 PM

with everyone saying they could have gotten a higher model, the fact is you didn't. it's a "coulda, woulda, but didn't" senario.

Few people, such as BlackC230Coupe, have really backed up their claim by buying another higher model car
i agree, back up your claim that you coulda woulda but didn't.

face it, the lowest model is always considered the poor man's model. or should i say, cheap man's model. look at the poll for cry sake instead of picking on me and the original poster. you got 40 other people thinking the same thing but the only difference is that they didn't post their opinions.

Last edited by slkride; 08-19-2002 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by slkride
with everyone saying they could have gotten a higher model, the fact is you didn't. it's a "coulda, woulda, but didn't" senario.
That's a pretty idiotic remark. Noone has to prove anything to you, in the first place. There are millions of reasons why someone may have chosen a certain model being financially capable of byuing a car that's twice as expensive. I know a guy, he is a vice-president of a software company, his wife is a doctor, and he still drives an Altima without A/C he got when he stiil was in college. Not that that's what I would do, but fact is: lots of people simply have different priorities. I would never buy an E or S class, because they are boring, IMO. Out of the whole C class, I have chosen the C Coupe as the most fun one.

Last edited by vadim; 08-19-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:18 PM

Unhappy

What does Gay have to do with owning a Mercedes Benz???? Or for that matter what does it have to do with this topic????????
Old 08-19-2002, 06:05 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by Lockbuster
What does Gay have to do with owning a Mercedes Benz???? Or for that matter what does it have to do with this topic????????
He's just happy :p
Old 08-19-2002, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Well my Benz ain't no GAY car, and I have the stains in the back to prove it!
Old 08-19-2002, 06:17 PM

Re: whats poor???

Originally posted by SilverStarC230
I'm 26 and I've owned a 1983 300CD and a 1987 300D. Because both of these cars were over 10 years old I guess meant more than buying a brand new 2003 C230K with C1, C4, C5, C7, COMAND, TeleAid and CD changer which came to a total of $34K USD. Both of my previious M-B's didn't cost this much put together when I bought them. But I guess since they were bigger than that meant they were that much better. I owned a 2000 VW NewBeetle. I love hatch backs, and better yet love small cars and even more than that and most of all love Mercedes-Benz. Fortunately I'm not like most SUV, big car, gas hog, single driver, wasting away all natural resources while wanting the cheapest priced gasoline (is that poor mans gas??) Amercican. I prefer deisels or small cars. If the C220CDI was available here I would buy it, but its not and I cant afford a E300D and prefer the C230K over a Jetta TDI. I'm still proud of buying a C230K. Keep trying to make yourself feel good about your car, and just remember that a Mercedes is a Mercedes, and if you lived in Europe would you ask if the A-class and SMART's were the real poor man's MB.

quote:
Originally posted by MagmaSilk
i agree w/ boo ... there are difference classes of benzs. and i draw the line at those models that get all the fancy toys and tech ... the top being those that get airmatic suspension, brake by wire, air-conditioned seat, and of course a price tag that often better matches a small condo than car ... ie, E , S, CL, SL.

everybody else is still a MB but not quite in the same class. my SLK is often called a "poor man's" SL ... which is kinda true ... i dont mind ... tho i prefer "baby" SL or "lil bro" SL

Also I'm gay, I drove a New Beetle (considered a gay car), I bought C230K which appreared in a gay magazine as a top 10 gay mans car, and I'm replying to this gay thread too. I'm more gay than I thought and more gay than my republican family would like to admit to
LOL ... For all I know, the C230 is the top ten pedophile and kidnapper car of choice too. I don't care, man. I don't care what circles buy the car; I am still getting one.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:19 PM

2002 CL500
hahaha
Old 08-19-2002, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
OK, I'll be the first to admit it. I'm not rich. I'm also cheap.

BT
Old 08-19-2002, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I'm with you Trench. I'll be the 2nd to admit it. :o :o :o

I'd post another pic of my cheap, trailerpark Bronco in this post, but I'm on a dialup. That broadband stuff is too expensive. I'll just wiat till I get to work...
Old 08-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: whats poor???

Originally posted by Boo2

Okay, now where would you park it? I've never seen an S600 parked in an assigned parking spot.

Anyways, people will always view the lowest model of most products as the "cheap" version. There will always be an exception to every rule. Yes, even the lowest model Rolex is called a "Cheap Rolex". The arguement that "I could have bought a more expensive Benz" should be consistent and also apply to owners of every model class that Mercedes sells. An E-Class owner would say that he could've bought an S and so on. Few people, such as BlackC230Coupe, have really backed up their claim by buying another higher model car. Maybe the "poor man's" notion should be replaced with "cheap" since I guess there are many "Rich"men who are buying cheap cars. (And by cheap I mean cost cheap NOT quality cheap). The very notion that Mercedes has different classes of cars with different prices shows that the company has every intention of putting their cars in the garages of all social classes. With this in mind, the bottom model will always be referred to as the "cheap" or "poor man's" benz.
i agree, theres a bottom to everthing and they does not always mean u have to be poor to have it. The 360 modena is the cheapest Ferrari, does anyone here call that a poor mans Ferrari?

Originally posted by slkride
face it, the lowest model is always considered the poor man's model. or should i say, cheap man's model. look at the poll for cry sake instead of picking on me and the original poster. you got 40 other people thinking the same thing but the only difference is that they didn't post their opinions.
So should we go around to every car manuactuer and pick the poor mans car? does any one consider the Lexus IS300 a poor mans lexus? or the BMW 325i the poor mans BMW? I dont even think people say that the RSX is the poor mans Acura.
I would not be suprised if u keep setting up new MB world accouns and voting on the C230 as the poor mans Mercedes.
By the way i am just curious what SLK do u have? and what year?
Old 08-19-2002, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by "little *****"
you got 40 other people thinking the same thing but the only difference is that they didn't post their opinions.
And over 90% think you're an ***.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
in before this thread gets locked... btw, it has been added to the top 5 controversial threads...

and yeah, i could've gotten the new SL... i chose not to! :p
Old 08-20-2002, 12:16 AM
taylor192

Seriously, the wait for the SL500 is like 1-2 years here in Canada, so just opted for the C230 for now until mine comes in, had to minimize my expenses for the next 1-2 years.

Lets just sum up this entire thread. Before the C-class in North America, MBs were only owned by people who were better off, typically older males (average owner age was 50+). Since the C-Class has come to North America, more people have been able to afford a MB and are starting to evade upon their territory, kinda like the neighbour moving in and parking a trailerhome in a higher class suburb, it brings down the value of everyone else in the neighbourhood.

Now MB has gone even lower and is offering some of their lowest models in North America and those who used to associate the MB logo with status feel the 3-point star is being dragged through the mud.

Get over it! All business is about the bottom line, and more MB drivers == $$$, hopefully they release the A-class and Smart cars in North America next and start using the real reputation MB has built in Europe, not the fake reputation that people have associated with MB in North America.

Old 08-20-2002, 02:29 AM

Re: Re: C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Originally posted by Deb

Well, I'm sorry to say so, but if I understand your question, I think it is an utterly arrogant question. 1) I'm neither poor, nor a man 2) Leather, CD, power seats...can be had on almost any car nowadays. Those features do not make the car a MB. IMO, safety, engineering and solid drive are the features that characterize MB. I bought the C230k because it is a hatchback. I wanted a good, sporty hatchback and the c coupe was the one I liked best. The fact that it was a MB was a bonus.
Deb
It's just a "Phrase" similar to the old 190's being called "Baby Benzes" or the "Poor Man's Benz." A Benz is a Benz. Some may see it as a way to introduce more people to Benzos, who will hopelly upgrade as they become older or make more money in the future, thats the Capitalist hope. On the other hand some people want to keep the division of the have and have nots in place
Old 08-20-2002, 08:30 AM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by avlis
I'd post another pic of my cheap, trailerpark Bronco in this post, but I'm on a dialup. That broadband stuff is too expensive. I'll just wiat till I get to work...
And how does that help when you come back to check the post and have to wait for the damn pic to download???

Yeah, I know you're kidding and it's all about the poor man's Benz thing, but one of my new pet peeves is people who post life-size pics here in their threads...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: C230, poor man's Mercedes?