C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

just f-d up my car! :cry:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Unhappy just f-d up my car! :cry:

So... I was going to a meeting today and came upon a curve that, as it turns out, is very VERY tight. The speed limit sign said 20 on the curve, I figured I could take it at at least 35. Of course, that's not my official story. My official story is that my phone started ringing and that distracted me. Annyhow, my wheel and the curb ended up arguing over who had the right to be in that space. The curb won. I check the car and the front right rim is obviously screwed up. I don't see any other damage so I try to drive to a tire shop (thankfully, I was about a mile away from the one my family uses and my dad is good friends with the guys there). If I take the car over about 15mph it feels like I'm driving on giant speedbumps, i hear a horrible noise, and i pretty-much lose control of steering.

So, I limp in and they tell me to take it 'round back so they can put it on the lift to check out. The very moment I get the car onto the lift and centered (well about 6 inches away from being perfectly centered) I hear a *KTHUMP* and it feels like my front passenger wheel has fallen off the lift! Everyone goes "oooooooooo....." and I'm like "CRAP!" so I get out and look.... the freakin wheel fell off the car!!!!

It was amazing. The car held itself together for just long enough, down to the second. I'm chalking this one up to divine intervention. Anyhow, the rear lower a-frame (i think he said) or whatever you call the thing that connects the ball joint to the frame of the car is completely, horribly bent. But somehow it managed to limp along until it was safe and could finally give up and wait to be fixed.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
damn that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. at least it didn't let go while you were driving around and had to drag one corner of it back to the shop.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
No flame, but thats what happens when you overestimate in unfamiliar territory.

But glad to hear it didn't leave you stranded.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by b3d_sage
So... I was going to a meeting today and came upon a curve that, as it turns out, is very VERY tight. The speed limit sign said 20 on the curve, I figured I could take it at at least 35. Of course, that's not my official story. My official story is that my phone started ringing and that distracted me. Annyhow, my wheel and the curb ended up arguing over who had the right to be in that space. The curb won. I check the car and the front right rim is obviously screwed up. I don't see any other damage so I try to drive to a tire shop (thankfully, I was about a mile away from the one my family uses and my dad is good friends with the guys there). If I take the car over about 15mph it feels like I'm driving on giant speedbumps, i hear a horrible noise, and i pretty-much lose control of steering.

So, I limp in and they tell me to take it 'round back so they can put it on the lift to check out. The very moment I get the car onto the lift and centered (well about 6 inches away from being perfectly centered) I hear a *KTHUMP* and it feels like my front passenger wheel has fallen off the lift! Everyone goes "oooooooooo....." and I'm like "CRAP!" so I get out and look.... the freakin wheel fell off the car!!!!

It was amazing. The car held itself together for just long enough, down to the second. I'm chalking this one up to divine intervention. Anyhow, the rear lower a-frame (i think he said) or whatever you call the thing that connects the ball joint to the frame of the car is completely, horribly bent. But somehow it managed to limp along until it was safe and could finally give up and wait to be fixed.
The lower control arms are made to completely give out upon such an impact for absorption. Don't worry - they're not too bad (pricewise). Glad you're alright.

flip
Old 05-19-2006, 08:52 PM

C 230K Coupé
I had an accident of the same sort recently except both rims made contact. I ended up with two broken rims and a broken rear-axle. These cars are made sturdy but when you need to replace parts it gets pricy. From what you're describing get ready to expect quite a bill.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Dude that SUCKS David.........glad to hear you're alright............hope the repairs aren't that bad!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch

But glad to hear it didn't leave you stranded.
yeah... it was stupid. but actually it wasn't unfamiliar territory, I just haven't driven it in a very long time and not in that car.

I do not expect it to cost too terribly much, actually. Pretty much just have to buy the part (that's what rewards points on the MB Visa are for!) and then the labor should be minimal. I will, however, want to take it to the dealership as soon as it's back up and running to have them do a quick check for any other issues.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by TA-9FF
Dude that SUCKS David.........glad to hear you're alright............hope the repairs aren't that bad!
yeah you're tellin me! I was totally gonna get some tonight... my dad was about to let me borrow his SL but it was getting detailed and by the time we got to the shop to pick it up they had closed for the weekend!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
No, what happens in that case is ....you are driving along at night, round 1am, on back country road w/o street lights, it just got through raining....you come over a rise and there is a 90 degree turn. You turn the steering wheel, but the car decides straight is the way it would rather go. You proceed to slide into big open wet/muddy feild with nothing else around EXCEPT one huge 6 foot boulder, 4Gs worth of front end damage. 7' either right or left, and it is funny story, instead you're telling Pops what happened at 3am. Simply, young & dumb.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
sorry to hear what happened. as long as you were safe. buy some aftermarket wheels now.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 PM

2015 E550 Coupe, 2012 E350 4matic Sedan, 2016 fully blown out custom camaro 2SS
Wow these cars amaze me with all the safety features, I'm glad your OK it could have been far worst.
Goodluck with your repairs.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My daughter did the same thing but she managed to do it backwards. Tore the rear axle of the car. This maybe a good time to consider a Hummer H2, it would have made it over the curb.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I do not expect it to cost too terribly much, actually. Pretty much just have to buy the part (that's what rewards points on the MB Visa are for!) and then the labor should be minimal.
Labor = minimal ?

Sorry, but you opened up that one.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by white_w203
sorry to hear what happened. as long as you were safe. buy some aftermarket wheels now.
I totally would but, I'd have to find a good deal on some wheels+tires. Only about 1k miles ago I got new tires on the back, and the front are not even a year old. I can't afford to buy 4 new tires (~$150ea x4 = $600) AND new wheels. I'd love some Autocouture Magnifique's but those are out of the question.

Hell, before that happens I still have to get this stupid rear bumper fixed. Insurance man sent me a check for $350. That's laughable when both estimates were in the neighborhood of $800. I must take this up with him. If I could just get him to pay for a new AMG rear bumper (which will be cheaper than frikking refinishing the old one) I will pay out of my own pocket to have it painted and installed. Then, I need to get the front bumper replaced which is going to be all in my hands. I also have a huuuge ugly paint chip in one of my impact strips and so I want to replace both of them with euro impact strips from steve. I don't even know how much that will cost. Let's not even the hail damange that I have incurred as a result of school campus not having any covered parking. I actually don't think there is any on the front, just the back half. I need to replace the trunk lid, it has some deep scratches. Let's not mention the swirl marks and various other scratches and such that need to be fixed.

Parents will pay to get the car basically functional. They may even get me a wheel (from a junkyard) to replace the borked one. However, until all of the above has been rectified, I am stuck with the wheels that are on it.

Also, I have no job. My only source of income is going toward paying the $36k/year school bill (with which no government or other entity is willing to help me with). I have a bunch of junk to get rid of on le bay (anyone want an ASUS PocketPC with TomTom Navigator and the best darned bluetooth GPS you'll ever find?) and some textbooks to sell back to the bookstore but... I think I'm far from covering everything.

I am trying to start a business (still working on those lights, for those of you who remember...) but right now I'm going to have to move a LOT of inventory in order to make any amount of money. And, even then, the cash will have to go right back into the business.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 PM

Labor = minimal ?

Sorry, but you opened up that one.
yup, it's true. I'm in my home town right now, lots of friends in pretty-much every sort of business.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 PM

pics, with the damaged bit oulined in orange...
Attached Thumbnails just f-d up my car! :cry:-05-19-06_1614.jpg   just f-d up my car! :cry:-05-19-06_1616.jpg  
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM

C 230K Coupé
Yeah it sucks to be indebted to your parents for stuff like that. Just to let you know a broken rear-axle and wheel racked up the bill to 6 grand . Just wait till you get the insurance bill, that is if you filed.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Yeah it sucks to be indebted to your parents for stuff like that. Just to let you know a broken rear-axle and wheel racked up the bill to 6 grand . Just wait till you get the insurance bill, that is if you filed.

OUCH! 6 grand!

I'm glad mine is just that arm. I'm not filing insurance, I'm expecting to get away for relatively cheaply on this one.

holycrap, and on a side note i just found out my very very chaste friend just lost her virginity!!! (after she swore she would wait...)
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
......(after she swore she would wait...)
No wonder you were racing through that turn. You were late. Admit it.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:32 PM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
Damn that sucks, glad u r ok.. Btw with autocouture magnifique you cant go wrong
Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 PM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 AM

nah, i had my chance with her. she doesn't know it but i totally could have convinced her to do it. and actually I wasnt late, i just like tight turns (and showing off to the cars behind me)

oh and by the way... how did you know i had problems with being "late" !?!?!!?!?!??!?!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
LMAO!

Mental Note: Do not take 20mph turns at 35mph in my car....
Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 AM

2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
The Turbo could take it at 35 though TA!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 AM

C 230K Coupé
The Turbo could take it at 35 though TA!!!
Make that 50!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just f-d up my car! :cry: