C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 Perfomance

Old 05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by JDM
..regarding the bashing, Im suprised that one benz owner on a benz forum would degrade anothers car. I remember when there was always a mutual appreciation and respect between enthusiasts, regardless of year, or type. Since I decided to see what a mercedes forum was all about, I discovered that I better be carefull about showing enthusiasm for my own car, a meek and lowly c240. Its just not a very good car, and apparently barley qualifies as a mercedes... now if it was a c230 compressor, that seems to amount to somthing, but still liable to be harassed by a big AMG guy..oh well, I probably wont visit these sites much anymore, as Im typically left feeling bad about a car I probably paid too much for anyway. Auto enthusiasm has seemingly narrowed into clicky pissing matches about who bought a better version of the same car. I like my C, and I love German cars, but I think twice about nodding to the driver of a "superior" model, as he's probably thinking, " poor sucker bought the cheap one, and look at his envy" I do, however, see the occasional Harley biker wave at the guy riding the lowly honda, just because they're bikers...age group maybe?
I am sure that you are happy with your car or you would not have purchased it. Let the comments about the lowly C Class roll right off your back. This site and others still has plenty to offer. I have learned so much here, and will continually learn.

Bikers are a different crowd and even when I used to ride my BMW the Harley guys would always wave. Bikers seem to respect all regardless of brand.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I appreciate that, johncl.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:11 PM

JDM, ur 01' C240 is exactly what I'm looking for. I love the car man. Dont' feel "bad" or anything, you're driving a Benz. I would be so happy if i had oen right now, just searchign for the right price... :p
Old 05-19-2005, 10:22 PM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by JDM
..regarding the bashing, Im suprised that one benz owner on a benz forum would degrade anothers car. I remember when there was always a mutual appreciation and respect between enthusiasts, regardless of year, or type. Since I decided to see what a mercedes forum was all about, I discovered that I better be carefull about showing enthusiasm for my own car, a meek and lowly c240. Its just not a very good car, and apparently barley qualifies as a mercedes... now if it was a c230 compressor, that seems to amount to somthing, but still liable to be harassed by a big AMG guy..oh well, I probably wont visit these sites much anymore, as Im typically left feeling bad about a car I probably paid too much for anyway. Auto enthusiasm has seemingly narrowed into clicky pissing matches about who bought a better version of the same car. I like my C, and I love German cars, but I think twice about nodding to the driver of a "superior" model, as he's probably thinking, " poor sucker bought the cheap one, and look at his envy" I do, however, see the occasional Harley biker wave at the guy riding the lowly honda, just because they're bikers...age group maybe?
Feeling superior to another because of relative cars is just compensating for inadequacy in another area of life. At the least it reveals insecurity and immaturity. Everyone in the world, exept for Bill Gates, has someone who can afford a nicer car...

...it's when people start hyping their cars that I, and I think most other people, take issue. Don't tell me your C240 is fast...and for that matter, faster than the C230. I would equally roll my eyes at someone who tried to pose their stock C230 as a fast car on, say, a BMW board. Be happy with what you have/can afford, don't try to talk it up...that's when you're asking for trouble. Argue it's good points all you want, but don't pretend it's something it's not.

Last edited by delbomber; 05-19-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by JDM
..regarding the bashing, Im suprised that one benz owner on a benz forum would degrade anothers car.
Its not normally the case- at least from the adult acting crowd. The C240 Slam is due to an ongoing silliness by a few people who assert that the 2.6L 168HP V6 powered C240 is a faster car than the lighter, supercharged C230's- both of which are smaller inline 4 motors, yet have quite a bit more HP- and much more solid torque curves.

Ive driven numerous C240's, and it does have the same attributes that make up that C-Class goodness we all enjoy. The motor, however, is its least attractive component. Normally, it would not be a point of contention. Like I said, some really silly boasting started this. We had a similar thread, were someone said there E200 was faster than the C230- then they raced, and the poster was very gracious in reporting back that although the butt dyno favored the E, the C walked away right off the line, and never looked back.

I love German cars, but I think twice about nodding to the driver of a "superior" model, as he's probably thinking, " poor sucker bought the cheap one, and look at his envy" I do, however, see the occasional Harley biker wave at the guy riding the lowly honda, just because they're bikers...age group maybe?
Well, I have both. I have a Harley, one of several Ive owned- all great bikes- and if I get a wave from a Honda guy, I'll wave back out of courtesy to another biker. We all start out somewhere. However, to keep the analogy, you feel that the owners of the big bikes would sneer at the Sportster buyer. Not at all. I used to own a Sporty. Nice, compact, solid, good handling. It started out as a 94-883, I punched it out the 1203 over the winter, put a set of pull back risers and drag bars on it, some nice rims, and it was a great bike for cruising the streets of the East Side. At the time, the sporty was all I could afford, and I loved it. Now I have a Road King, its big, sorta like an overwieght Fat Boy, and heavily massaged. Doesn't mean I think less of anyone on anything smaller.

Not too long ago, I had a pretty pimped CBR F3. It was fast. It was fun for about 30 minutes, then the buzzing and crazy riding position made me loose interest. And as far as the crowd goes, the sport bike crowd is more snobby than the harley guys by far.

As for the Benz, I could have afforded an E or CLK if I wanted it. BUT, I chose the car I wanted. E? Too big, no coupe version, auto only. CLK, overpriced for the content, no manual, and frankly I prefer the coupe with its hatch. Sure, I'd love to have had the C32 Coupe...but that's was never offered stateside

Some of the snottier sedan owners tend to put down the Coupers from time to time- hey whatever. I could care less what they think.

Last edited by Outland; 05-20-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by johncl
01-04 should be pretty much the same, but the '05 I am not sure on.

The 05 is the best of the bunch. Much better suspension, new interior, nice styling tweaks.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by ddrango
Drove a 05 'C240 today. GREAT CAR. I love it. The close ratios in the tranny are great for city driving. It's damn quick too. So I have a few questions. Is there a diff in the mechanics in the 01-05 C240? And what can I do to add more power. Please list possiblities guys. Thanks.
First of all, where are you located ?
If in SoCal, I would go to evoSPORT or MBWerks to get some work done.
UDPS, PowerChip, ECU reprogramming, or even power packages are available.

Also, there are 3 or 4 C240's in this forum that have completely charged their engine beyond any specs putting them in par with C43 / C32 AMG's.

RENNtech offers an engine performance package for the C240.
ECU reporgramming ads 10 BHP. Carbon Fiber air box adds 5 BHP. Sport Muffler adds 5 BHP. Then you can go with many of the SUPERCHARGER marques out there, but expect to shell out some serious $$$.

Where did I get all this info ?? I don't own a C240, but i've read/searched just about every post in this W203 forum, and that's just what I can remember from the threads posted. Use keywords to search for specifics.

Appearance mods and all that other stuff is on here too, but you did ask for "more power" !!!

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 05-21-2005, 04:20 AM

W203 C240
Originally Posted by JDM

totally agree with you on this, being a another lowly c240 owner...I think it has something to do with people who buy luxury cars. Over the past 3 years of going to the dealer service program, ive seen plenty of angry women who **** in their pants when the dealer is out of loaner and they drive us to a rental company. Usually you get a accord or camry. Every time its the same thing " I refuse to drive this" or "this isnt what i am supposed to get" and take me back to the dealer. I think its a case shown really well in that bmw commercial where the mercedes owner get in their car and just look at themself in the mirror. I dont know why anyone would want to get that frustrated and bithcy in the morning? I think its the whole mine is better than yours thing...when in fact the whole brand is better than other brands. The whole loaner idea helps makes life easier, plenty of people have to take a bus to work after dropping their car off. Same goes for the whole 230/240/c32/c55 thing, these cars are much better than other options...and besides any car with a supercharger is better performancewise than the same model without. Being an avid 4wheeler Jeep drivers wave to each other whether they are driving a wrangler or a grand cherokee limited...there is more community, while benz owners just look to see if the other benz is better then theirs...

As far as the times...all the cars are targeted to consumers of different segments...yet there are some overlap. Also, back when the W203 was introduced there was only 3 models to choose from (in sedan form) the 240, 320, c32. Those of us who bought the earlier models may not have had the chance for a 230ss or the upcoming c350, but we did have the benefit of driving the car longer.

Anyways thats my 2 cents....and attempts at avoiding studying for finals...
Old 05-21-2005, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Originally Posted by delbomber
Feeling superior to another because of relative cars is just compensating for inadequacy in another area of life. At the least it reveals insecurity and immaturity. Everyone in the world, exept for Bill Gates, has someone who can afford a nicer car...

...it's when people start hyping their cars that I, and I think most other people, take issue. Don't tell me your C240 is fast...and for that matter, faster than the C230. I would equally roll my eyes at someone who tried to pose their stock C230 as a fast car on, say, a BMW board. Be happy with what you have/can afford, don't try to talk it up...that's when you're asking for trouble. Argue it's good points all you want, but don't pretend it's something it's not.
I think my C240 is fast or fast enough... Please dont bash on all C240's because you dont know what they have in them.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Originally Posted by ddrango
Drove a 05 'C240 today. GREAT CAR. I love it. The close ratios in the tranny are great for city driving. It's damn quick too. So I have a few questions. Is there a diff in the mechanics in the 01-05 C240? And what can I do to add more power. Please list possiblities guys. Thanks.
Its a ok car. Not the best car to get a lot of power unless you get the blower. Things available is Chip, Underdrive pulley, Headers, and exhaust. I would not change the airbox but maybe the filters. On the dyno when I took off the stock airbox and tried other intakes I lost about 15whp so I really dont recommend it. The gearing is ok for the amount of power it makes but when you make a lot more power its a bit too short... I would prefer longer gears for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 4th and on is great.

Last edited by BrabusCClass; 05-21-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:35 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i've been on e46 and here for a long *** time. seems to me you new comers just don't want to do any search before making a damn post. this goes to both boards. what's so hard about search before you post and then post if you can't find it.

also, I don't know why amdeutch is a moderator. he does nothing productive to the forum other than posting links to idiotic pictures when a noob comes along posting a question. I'd take away his moderator title and warn him of his non productive posts if you ask me.

Last edited by FrankW; 05-21-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by FrankW
I don't know why amdeutch is a moderator. he does nothing productive to the forum other than posting links to idiotic pictures when a noob comes along posting a question. I'd take away his moderator title and warn him of his non productive posts if you ask me.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:51 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
If another adult is allowed to chime in here, with no pictures, no fancy signoff, and 37 years of Mercedes experience....

Our C240 gives a fine account of itself in the real world, where it counts - I have rarely lacked for power in passing and merging situations, which is all that matters to me. And there needs to be some perspective here - the car that gave me the most satisfaction from the "old days" was our '73 280SE 4.5, with the iron-block V8. On a good day, it could manage 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds, and on an average day, might manage 12-13 mpg. The C manages 0-60 around 8-8.5 seconds, and on a recent 1700 mile road trip, managed 28 mpg at over-the-limit freeway speeds.

I know of no one who kicks more hp out of bed. For that reason, the upcoming engine replacements in the C will certainly be welcome - the C280 [3.0] which will replace the C240 will be much quicker, more economical, and with lower emissions to boot.

My manhood is never at stake when I drive. For that reason, all the performance I need is what it takes to be safe at speed, to have a margin for error to get out of those occasional situations where you need good response - in that regard, none of the current Mercedes lineup in the US needs to apologize for performance. The choice between the C230 and C240 for me comes down to the suspension tuning, and the staggered tires on the C230 - I want touring refinement and I don't need the last bit of cornering power that the more aggressive setup on the C230 dictates. If you do, you won't get an argument from me.

I too wonder why there are some folks in this forum who need to come up with a wise-*** comeback to nearly every question or post. A little mutual respect would help. And the whole point behind a forum like this one should be that there are no "stupid questions". If you don't want to respond to something that you think is an "old topic", then don't.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
I have to say I love all Merc's and BMWs. I treat other drivers as part of a big German family of cars, I love seeing other members and driving along side them on the highway. The only reason i love to hate the c240 is when their owners pay MORE $ than the C230 to buy the big great V6 Engine just because they're too good for a 4, then they try to say their V6 is better and faster when it is actually slower and less efficient and heavier. They think because they bought a car with a V6 it must be fantastic, or atleast much better than an I4. Those are the people that I'd love to race just to **** them off and show them the V6 is not all that and NOT as fast as they think.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by ctC230K
I have to say I love all Merc's and BMWs. I treat other drivers as part of a big German family of cars, I love seeing other members and driving along side them on the highway. The only reason i love to hate the c240 is when their owners pay MORE $ than the C230 to buy the big great V6 Engine just because they're too good for a 4, then they try to say their V6 is better and faster when it is actually slower and less efficient and heavier. They think because they bought a car with a V6 it must be fantastic, or atleast much better than an I4. Those are the people that I'd love to race just to **** them off and show them the V6 is not all that and NOT as fast as they think.
Yes we all bought a C240 cuz it's MAAAAAAAAAD fast
If speed is all that matters to you then why did you buy a C230? Or a Mercedes for that matter... I traded my C230 for a C240 cuz it's a whole lot smoother. I mean if people can afford a C240 they can afford a C230 right? Do you honestly think they bought it cuz it's fast?

How old are you? 20? 21?

I initially bought a C230 over a Rolls Royce Silver Seraph cuz it's faster so the RR sucks .. whatever
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
I love racing those big 6.3 liter trucks, they think just cuz they bought a heavier and less efficient 6.3l they're faster than my v6.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
lol i'm not saying the C230 is that much better because it's faster, they are practically the same car except for the engine. i bought my c230 because it is a lot faster than my last car. i am not looking for a drag strip car, i wanted a fast luxury car that was affordable. and why does my age matter??
Old 05-21-2005, 11:32 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
lol i'm not saying the C230 is that much better because it's faster, they are practically the same car except for the engine. i bought my c230 because it is a lot faster than my last car. i am not looking for a drag strip car, i wanted a fast luxury car that was affordable. and why does my age matter??

Cuz your maturity level is extremely low. Wow, you love racing those dumbasses in their C240 who bought their car over the C230 cuz they think a V6 is faster and than I4. You're really showing them... God speed ctC230K.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
hey man, it's not my fault you bought a C240!! no need to flame me cause of your decision!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:37 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
hey man, it's not my fault you bought a C240!! no need to flame me cause of your decision!

I know I can't believe they fooled me. I walked in looking for a race car and though the V6 was at least twice as fast as an I4. I'm gonna write to Mercedes and complain. At least they didn't fool you.

Damn you Mercedes.. Damn you to hell !

whatever.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
do it man do it.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 AM

05 C230wz 6M
Originally Posted by Narcissus
Cuz your maturity level is extremely low. Wow, you love racing those dumbasses in their C240 who bought their car over the C230 cuz they think a V6 is faster and than I4. You're really showing them... God speed ctC230K.

ct makes a good point. No one would bash the C240 if C240 owners didn't come on here and claim it's faster than the C230. C230 owners didn't start this argument, 240 owners did.

No one argues the 240 isn't smoother, quieter, softer. It's a car for a different type of driver, and as someone else said, if speed is what you want, why are you driving a mercedes, which cost THE MOST per HP...especially the slowest car in their line-up, the C240? Love it for its smoothness and whatnot, but why pretend it's something it's not? It's purely antagonistic and C230 owners can't be blamed for trying to maintain reality...

Old 05-21-2005, 11:45 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by delbomber
ct makes a good point. No one would bash the C240 if C240 owners didn't come on here and claim it's faster than the C230. C230 owners didn't start this argument, 240 owners did.

No one argues the 240 isn't smoother, quieter, softer. It's a car for a different type of driver, and as someone else said, if speed is what you want, why are you driving a mercedes, which cost THE MOST per HP...especially the slowest car in their line-up, the C240? Love it for its smoothness and whatnot, but why pretend it's something it's not? It's purely antagonistic and C230 owners can't be blamed for trying to maintain reality...

Well I did trade my C230 for a C240 and did lose a lot of money, I didn'T do it cuz I as looking for a FASTER car. Please quote me a C240 owner starting this parody. What we're saying is that at highway speed the C240 IS faster than the 1.8 C230k. I had both and other people as well. You can argue all you want that's how it is. I live in Canada, ok. in case you don'T know we're not known for having the warmest of weathers. And I can assure you that on hot summer days the 1.8 was slow as hell. Now don't go comparing a manual 1.8 with a C240's slushbox. Both of my cars were autos. and I can tell you that the C240 is faster at highway speed than the C230.

Anyway.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
but WHY did you buy a c240 over a c230??? that is what i would like to know...
Old 05-21-2005, 11:55 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
but WHY did you buy a c240 over a c230??? that is what i would like to know...
Read post #38 again

And no I did not buy a C240 over a C230. I bought the C230 first cuz it was less expensive, faster and sportier looking, but after being in the C240 loaner I quickly changed my mind

well maybe not quickly, took me a few months, but changed my mind.

CuZ It'S MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD FAST yo!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C240 Perfomance