C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

let me introduce myself...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 BMW 740il :)
let me introduce myself...

Hey everyone, I'm brand new. I just got back from my second test drive of the C-coupe today, and I am more convinced that I want it. ... So for those who are wandering: that's why this Bimmer owner is posting on a Benz board.

Now, every car in my garage right now is a first year, so I've learned from bugs and problems, to avoid first year models. So I probably won't get a c-coupe for another year or so, plus my mom wants to keep my beast for at least another year. But I am convinced that is the car I want to get. The look is right, the price is right, the gas mileage is right, and even though it is the most least expensive model, I found that they didn't skimp on the quality, like the ill designed BMW 318ti.

My main thing is that I'm a tweaker. I love playing around with my car, seeing what I can do to her to make her go faster, and look sleeker. What I drive right now is among the hardest cars to upgrade. Lets face it, who tricks out a seven series? I know when I get my c-coupe that I'm going to start the upgrading immediately.

I spent about a half hour tonight looking for Benz upgrade sites. Frankly, there aren’t as many as I expected. I could only find one of the things I want on my car (suspension lowering kit). So for Q number one: does anyone know of good aftermarket Benz companies?

Let me get to the meat of what this post is about. I was wondering how all of you feel about this car. For the owners: have you had any problems? Any complaints? Or are you all generally happy? Has anyone done any work on their car? Better air intake, bigger wheels, better exhaust, fuel injection work... anything? If anyone has tweaked on their car at all, could you tell me how it went. Was it all smooth, was it expensive to do, and are you happy with the outcome?

I really want this car, and I really, really hope to get one in due time. I hope that all of you will accept me here, even though I am a thorn amongst the roses in this group, a bimmer parasite if you might. I hope to talk to you all soon, and I hope my questions can be answered adequately.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I suggest you take some time and read through some of the threads posted in this forum. Most if not all of these topics have been discussed. There are quite a few people that have made modifications to their cars, and have posted specs, pics, costs, etc. You will also find some dissatisfied owners, but I think the majority of the group is satisfied. You can use the "search" feature to look for any specific topics.

btw - The C Coupe now being offered (2003) is the second year here in the US. They have changed the engine from a 2.3 to a 1.8.

Welcome to the forum...

PS I also own a BMW (wife's car), and I know I'm not alone.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:46 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Re: let me introduce myself...

Originally posted by CtheDREAMER
Hey everyone, I'm brand new. I just got back from my second test drive of the C-coupe today, and I am more convinced that I want it. ... So for those who are wandering: that's why this Bimmer owner is posting on a Benz board.
Well if you REALLY enjoy tweaking get an Audi TT or A4....there's so much stuff avail. i spent about 5-6k on mine within a year. I am getting a C coupe b/c its not very tweakable....its already pretty darn nice. At most i'll do pulley kit, wheels, and headlight upgrade......well maybe a spoiler
Old 09-06-2002, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
welcome and enjoy...

unofficial c-class faq

i've been thinking about adding the Pledge/No Pledge thread...
Old 09-06-2002, 12:19 AM

2002 C230K
Welcome

I think you can let go of concerns with first year cars because i think the only things in their first appearance are the pano roof, and the sheet metal. The engine has been around for about 7yrs or so, and the tranny for at least couple of years (the auto anyway, dont know bout the manual). The rest of it has pretty much been around.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Welcome! have fun!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:12 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Welcome here. You'll find MBworld a great info source for just about everything around MB cars.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:26 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Wow, from your biography you say you are only 16, and you drive a 7er, wow. i wish i can get a 7er.

also you say u are F(i'm guessing that stands for female), and you are into cars...WOW

anyway, enjoy the forum. Hope you are going to find the car that you like.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:51 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage

I hope that all of you will accept me here, even though I am a thorn amongst the roses in this group, a bimmer parasite if you might. I hope to talk to you all soon, and I hope my questions can be answered adequately.
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about fitting in... we already have more thorns in this rose bush than you can count.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: Re: let me introduce myself...

Originally posted by MB-BOB
we already have more thorns in this rose bush than you can count.
They are called "moderators". :p

As rev said, all of your issues have been discussed. Searching will yield all of your answers. But, yes, you will probably be disappointed in the end at the relatively few # of companies out there with crap for ccoupes.

If you're concerned about getting the first year of anything, you should get a '02 ccoupe. The 1.8 will prob. need a couple of years to iron out everything.

Have you seen an M engine stuffed into a ti? That's a nice way to clear up the biggest problem with the ti right there.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:58 AM

2002 c230k
Welcome to the forum!
There is plenty you can do to a c-coupe and more to come soon. The 2002 has more options than the 2003 due to the 2.3l engine having been around for a while. Please take any complaints seen here with a grain of salt as some of us are born complainers, make sure that more than one or two people mention a possible problem rather than the same person over and over. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:22 PM

I really want this car, and I really, really hope to get one in due time. I hope that all of you will accept me here, even though I am a thorn amongst the roses in this group, a bimmer parasite if you might. I hope to talk to you all soon, and I hope my questions can be answered adequately.
The members of this forum are always available to help convert any poor misguided soul from the bimmer family to the MB family.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:18 PM

c240
get that lime color its dope!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K

My main thing is that I'm a tweaker.
I hear gold paint is the best.

BT
Old 09-06-2002, 04:46 PM

C32 AMG
Peeps here are more open-minded. I switched from a Bimmer, and I still love BMW's. As long as you back up negative remarks with good reasonable facts, you will find that arguments here are more open-minded than the typical "Benz/Bimmer owners are a bunch of f@ckin a-holes!!!!!!!!!"

As for tuning, a Benz is easier to tune than you would think. It's not like a Jaguar (Arden is the only Jag tuner I know). Look for major tuners like MKB, Carlsson, Kleemann, Brabus, Renntech, and Nowack to name a few. These are Benz specific tuners. Parts can be pricey but then again MOST Mercedes owners don't like to put cheap $h!t in their cars.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:36 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Boo2
Peeps here are more open-minded. I switched from a Bimmer, and I still love BMW's. As long as you back up negative remarks with good reasonable facts, you will find that arguments here are more open-minded than the typical "Benz/Bimmer owners are a bunch of f@ckin a-holes!!!!!!!!!"

As for tuning, a Benz is easier to tune than you would think. It's not like a Jaguar (Arden is the only Jag tuner I know). Look for major tuners like MKB, Carlsson, Kleemann, Brabus, Renntech, and Nowack to name a few. These are Benz specific tuners. Parts can be pricey but then again MOST Mercedes owners don't like to put cheap $h!t in their cars.
i definitely agree to that i switch from the 328ci to MB too. I have been on the bimmerforums.com too, and i somehow find people are nicer on the mbworld.org. I love both BMW and MB, but some of the people on bimmerforums are just plain a-hole. there are some on the mbworld.org are a-hole too.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:28 PM

95 BMW 740il :)
I actually test drove a ti with the M engine. The pick up was right, but the problem, like the problem with many of the smaller M's, was the rear suspention, it sucks. That is one thing BMW couldnt' get right with the little M's. Their M roadster just got that fixed after being out since 96. I guess if I really wanted too I could get the M 318ti and put some money into the suspention. I could easily trick that out to a better standard.

Are you guys kidding me? I didn't know that they dropped the engine size all the way down to a 1.8. I was worried that a 3.2 would be too small for me, since I'm so use to my big V8 by now.

Well that complicates things just a bit... I'm not going to get a new car for another two years though. That way my sister gets the boat when she turns 16, and I leave for college with a more gas friendly ride. Good news on that end is that I do have a lot more tiem to think about it. A 1997 318ti M with better suspention is starting to look really good about now as well.

N E Ways... thanks for wellcoming me. I'll stay on this board for now. I still love Benz ehough to post. ^.^

And to the guy with the C23 AMG who liked my car.... I wouldn't be complaining if I were you, it sounds like you have some pretty sweet cars in your family. My car's a beast, a sweet beast, but an expensive-as-hell-to-fix beast non the less. I sure hope my next car doesn't rack up the repair bills like this car does.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:07 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I actually test drove a ti with the M engine. The pick up was right, but the problem, like the problem with many of the smaller M's, was the rear suspention, it sucks. That is one thing BMW couldnt' get right with the little M's. Their M roadster just got that fixed after being out since 96. I guess if I really wanted too I could get the M 318ti and put some money into the suspention. I could easily trick that out to a better standard.

Are you guys kidding me? I didn't know that they dropped the engine size all the way down to a 1.8. I was worried that a 3.2 would be too small for me, since I'm so use to my big V8 by now.

Well that complicates things just a bit... I'm not going to get a new car for another two years though. That way my sister gets the boat when she turns 16, and I leave for college with a more gas friendly ride. Good news on that end is that I do have a lot more tiem to think about it. A 1997 318ti M with better suspention is starting to look really good about now as well.

N E Ways... thanks for wellcoming me. I'll stay on this board for now. I still love Benz ehough to post. ^.^

And to the guy with the C23 AMG who liked my car.... I wouldn't be complaining if I were you, it sounds like you have some pretty sweet cars in your family. My car's a beast, a sweet beast, but an expensive-as-hell-to-fix beast non the less. I sure hope my next car doesn't rack up the repair bills like this car does.
oh oh...i just realize you have a SERIOUS TYPO. what's "C23 AMG"...
Old 09-09-2002, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: let me introduce myself...

Originally posted by tommy
They are called "moderators". :p

LOL.. you read my mind man... i was gonna say the same thing.....

anyways.....welcome to the forum ...
Old 09-10-2002, 01:53 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Welcome to the forums! Links to the major aftermarket tuners that have a website can be found on the links page of the mbworld.org website. I'd recommend calling up the aftermarket makers instead of the shops if you want the most up-to-date info on various parts in development for the C-coupe. Because the C-coupe is a relatively new car (at least to the US), many parts are still in R&D phases and on the verge of coming out.