C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One with 4 wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical

Hey guys,

I'm needing to change out my craptacular stock Pilot Primacy's, (not by choice, but because after 16k miles, those crap tires are worn out!) and I've been reading mixed reviews about these Dunlops. Anyone have any experiences with them with their C? A lot of reviews I've been reading have been from BMW owners who all say they're great on their 3 Series, but for some of the C Class owners that have had these, they say these tires suck. I need some clarification, or some recommendations! I would post this in the tire section, but no one ever helps out there!

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Anybody?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:06 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
I had these on my 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro in a 225/50-16 size. They were OK and I got good treadwear from them, but they got really loud as they wore. Overall grip was good, but the noise was too much to bear. I switched to BF Goodrich G-Force KDWS and was pretty happy with those. Good grip, stiffer ride (stiffer sidewalls) but wore well. Those too got loud as they wore, so I ended-up installing Avon M550 A/S tires by taking a chance with the Tire Rack guys. The Avons were much quieter, performed about 95% as well as the G-Force KDWS and offered a softer ride (softer sidewall.) The BFGs offered the best performance of the three, but the Avon offered so much in terms of comfort with minimal sacrifice in handling that I ranked them as first, with the BFGs second and the Dunlops 3rd. I liked the Avons so much that I ordered a set to replace the horrible Goodyear Eagle LS on my Nissan Murano and I've been exceedingly pleased with those.\

My wife's C230 Coupe is riding on BFG G-Force Sports which are actually pretty good. We replaced the Michelin Pilot Sports on the C7 wheels because they had gotten old and were loud, not very grippy and didn't want to recover well once sliding. As soon as the BFGs are worn out (and if I keep the car), we'll put either Avon M500, M550 or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on it.

Hope that helps...

Bob

Last edited by rtking; 11-25-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by rtking
I had these on my 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro in a 225/50-16 size. They were OK and I got good treadwear from them, but they got really loud as they wore. Overall grip was good, but the noise was too much to bear. I switched to BF Goodrich G-Force KDWS and was pretty happy with those. Good grip, stiffer ride (stiffer sidewalls) but wore well. Those too got loud as they wore, so I ended-up installing Avon M550 A/S tires by taking a chance with the Tire Rack guys. The Avons were much quieter, performed about 95% as well as the G-Force KDWS and offered a softer ride (softer sidewall.) The BFGs offered the best performance of the three, but the Avon offered so much in terms of comfort with minimal sacrifice in handling that I ranked them as first, with the BFGs second and the Dunlops 3rd. I liked the Avons so much that I ordered a set to replace the horrible Goodyear Eagle LS on my Nissan Murano and I've been exceedingly pleased with those.\

My wife's C230 Coupe is riding on BFG G-Force Sports which are actually pretty good. We replaced the Michelin Pilot Sports on the C7 wheels because they had gotten old and were loud, not very grippy and didn't want to recover well once sliding. As soon as the BFGs are worn out (and if I keep the car), we'll put either Avon M500, M550 or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on it.

Hope that helps...

Bob
Wow Bob, thanks! That helped out a lot. I'm going to look into those Avon 550's!