C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

tire spin with Eibach Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe
tire spin with Eibach Sway Bars?

I installed Eibach sway bars on my 2002 C230 Coupe. On my car in particular, I found that having the front bar on the soft setting made the car just too loose (oversteer) for street driving. Putting the front bar into the stiffest setting made the car more neutral IMO.

My question: Has anyone experience increased wheelspin when cornering? I am noticing that, as I go around turns under power, I'm spinning my inside tire and ESP is engaging. I am wondering if the rear bar is too thick and is lifting the inside tire while cornering. BTW, I'm running 225/45-17 BFG G-Force Sports (32 psi front, 36 psi rear) on stock sport springs and shocks and a full tank of gas. Any thoughts? Maybe go with a less aggressive front/rear sway bar combo?

Bob
Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
i havent had any problems with my H&R swaybars...and i'm sure Eibach would test them before selling, so i think its a different problem
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Hmmm... well, the G-Force Sports are down to 4/32nds tread depth and the rear brake pads are pretty close to needing replacement. You don't think that the ESP is having a hard time applying brakes to the inside rear tire, do you? I do have a replacement set of pads coming and I'll install those as soon as I receive them. But I don't recall the inside tire spinning as much with the stock suspension as it does now with the Eibachs.

Bob
Old 12-31-2006, 04:19 AM

2005 Renntech C class
Originally Posted by rtking
I installed Eibach sway bars on my 2002 C230 Coupe. On my car in particular, I found that having the front bar on the soft setting made the car just too loose (oversteer) for street driving. Putting the front bar into the stiffest setting made the car more neutral IMO.

My question: Has anyone experience increased wheelspin when cornering? I am noticing that, as I go around turns under power, I'm spinning my inside tire and ESP is engaging. I am wondering if the rear bar is too thick and is lifting the inside tire while cornering. BTW, I'm running 225/45-17 BFG G-Force Sports (32 psi front, 36 psi rear) on stock sport springs and shocks and a full tank of gas. Any thoughts? Maybe go with a less aggressive front/rear sway bar combo?

Bob
If you're spinning your inside wheel a lot then you need to upgrade your LSD =)

If you want more traction in the rear (dry), drop the rear pressure down a little bit and that should solve the problem.

Bigger sway bars reduce weight transfer from side to side so in theory you do have 'less' grip when you take a turn.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
The front bar is what controls the traction in the rear. Try setting the front bar to the middle position.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Thanks guys. The Eibachs only have two settings, so I am in the firmest setting now. This has helped to reduce oversteer and make the car more neutral. (By stiffening the front bar, I reduce roll and cross weight on the car)

The rear tires are aired-up at 36 pounds - I can drop the rear pressure, but that increases oversteer. Maybe I should drop pressures all the way around, but I'm finding that maybe the rear bar is just too stiff and is lifting the inside rear.

I'm guessing that the BFG G-Force Sports (which are well worn) are fairly sticky laterally, but probably not very sticky on acceleration.

Limited slip? Ugh... admittedly that had come to mind, but I'm not inclined to spend $1800 on a Quaife. That would be pretty spendy and score pretty low on the wife acceptance factor scale. I've already pushed that limit pretty far with the extreme (and uber expensive) rebuild on my Mustang SVO.

Bob