C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Accident - Help me decide what to do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes C240
Accident - Help me decide what to do

Hi all,

Long time lurker, finally created an account to become an active member of the community. I have had a 2004 C240 for just over 1.5 years. It's a great car and has never given me any major problems. I want to drive this for as long as I can because it's a really fun car.

Unfortunately, I got into an accident where a cab (yellow paint on my car still visible) cut me off and the front right side of my car made impact with the back left side of his car. Long story short, I have a few things to fix now and deliberating how to go about it. Here are the things my shop told me to fix.

Issues:
1. Bumper needs to be replaced. Do I get a used OEM one of the same color, or go aftermarket and get that painted? I am leaning toward aftermarket like ebay item 371008249870 or 321680525940. If I do get this, then I would need to get the right impact strip too. Any idea how to get this as affordable as possible. Or would it be a good idea to get something like ebay item 151614911098?

2. Hood is bent and needs to be replaced too. Should I get ebay item 351139096399 or try to work with the seller for 181526925346 and get that item since it's silver like my car.

3. The tabs on my right headlight are mostly broken, but the top one is still intact (holding it in place). Is there a way I could fix the assembly? Or should I just buy a used one like ebay item number 311287764365 or brand new aftermarket headlight and sell this one for whatever it's worth.

My body shop wants me to respray the whole front nose to make sure the color is even. I've been quoted $800 + ~$550 for parts (three mentioned). This would be all new aftermarket parts. I am planning to get the parts myself to save a little money, although he quote the hood at $220 to me, so I may get that with him. He also mentioned that he can reuse all the other accents, but I need a new impact strip for the right side.

Side items:
1. My thermometer has been going crazy! -19 to 185 degrees within a few minutes of each other. Does this matter?

2. Back left door actuator - it goes up and down several times before it locks and sometimes take several tries to make it lock. I can't lock it manually with my hand from the inside, as I have to use the power feature.

3. When I engage my right turn signal, it doesn't stick right, so I have to hold it. When I use left, it stays and disengages automatically as it should.

If you guys can recommend other places to buy the parts too that would be cool. Ultimately, I am really just looking to get the car to look presentable for the next 12-18 months.

Here are the pics of my car:

Accident - Help me decide what to do-ox7o65w.jpg
Accident - Help me decide what to do-zvx40nw.jpg

Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Looks like you might get the hood hammer-and-dollie'd back into shape, no?
I'd get a used facelift bumper from a junk yard (e.g. car-part.com)

Side items:
- search for door lock pogo stick effect, kind of a PIA to fix.
- turn stalk is probably broken from the impact.
- the temp sensor was probably damaged in front.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 PM

2003 C240, 2016 C300
I have a sport bumper from a C32 AMG that would need painting because the color of that bumper is blue right now. I also have a headlight from my C240. If he made contact with the wheel, I do have that too. PM if you need anymore details. I'm in Rowland Heights, I noticed you have a cali plate from. The turn stalk can be fixed, those aren't expensive. My temp sensor is broken too, but I don't bother with it unless you really want to know what the temperature of the outdoors is. mine is constantly stuck at 185+. I have the impact strip, but it has a painted sidemarker. That will also need to be repainted because it is currently blue.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Good time to get a sport bumper and some depo BIX
Old 03-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
if you're keeping it that long and the taxi guy's insurance is footing the bill, I'd go with new and have the body shop do everything, including the headlight. Saving a few bucks now is probably going to mean it looking like sh*t before the end of your time with it, and definitely affect resale (what little there will be, unfortunately)

I don't think that there's a need to upgrade anything, as the whole rest of the car is stock.

But the electronics I'd be very concerned about. Is the body shop doing the electronics also? If not, might be better to have a full inspection of everything non-body wise also to make sure that all issues are identified and you know the full amount of the bill there. Could be that the repairs here will outweigh the body shop charges.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C55 AMG
I agree with tommy. Paul, please explain what insurance is doing. Might as well make the most of it and as previously stated get everything checked over.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:34 PM

2004 Mercedes C240
Originally Posted by tommy
if you're keeping it that long and the taxi guy's insurance is footing the bill, I'd go with new and have the body shop do everything, including the headlight. Saving a few bucks now is probably going to mean it looking like sh*t before the end of your time with it, and definitely affect resale (what little there will be, unfortunately)

I don't think that there's a need to upgrade anything, as the whole rest of the car is stock.

But the electronics I'd be very concerned about. Is the body shop doing the electronics also? If not, might be better to have a full inspection of everything non-body wise also to make sure that all issues are identified and you know the full amount of the bill there. Could be that the repairs here will outweigh the body shop charges.
Unfortunately, this accident happened in NY, a no-fault state. Ultimately it was ruled that it was my fault despite me being cut off by a cab switching 2 lanes. Typically if you rear end the other guy, you're at fault. So my insurance is not paying for anything since I stupidly went from full to liability insurance without any comprehensive coverage. So, in short, I will be paying for everything myself.

I want the car driveable for 12-18 months and then I will sell it or give it to a family member, and I'll get a new car, probably a small SUV with 4 wheel drive for the winter.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I'd say you saved quite a few bucks by opting out of comprehensive (do you mean collision though?) coverage. Unless you've just cancelled that last month
For 1-1.5 years I really think you can reuse/repair the parts. Even a mediocre paintjob should last that long, and then you sell the car.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 PM

2003 C240, 2016 C300
paul, check your PMs
Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 PM

2003 C240, 2016 C300
oh and btw, you have a bar from where your headlight got hit that is going to need replacing. i just looked at your photos again and it's really bent up