MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   How well does C230 handle rear end collisions? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/200456-how-well-does-c230-handle-rear-end-collisions.html)

mechcad 07-04-2007 12:44 PM

How well does C230 handle rear end collisions?

My 4 days old (!) brand new 2007 C230 was rear ended today being parked on the parking lot by a lady who jumped over the parking stoppers from the opposite side of the lot pushing on gas instead of the brake (she told me later that sometimes she uses both feet to drive automatic...). She also hit another car, but mine got the most damage: it was moved at least 5 feet forward, even though I left transmission on P and applied the parking brakes.

Bumper, trunk, rear sides and lights - all of them need to be replaced. The lady's insurance will take care of the repairs, they are taking my car to MB approved body shop recommended by the dealer.

How well does C230 handle rear end collisions? Are there any specific things for me to check when I'll be picking up the fixed car?

Thanks!

Saprissa 07-04-2007 12:51 PM

sorry to hear that ! :mercy: <--- everytime a Benzie gets hit !
At least no one was hurt. How fast was she going when she hit your car ?

MB's hold up pretty good at low-impact crashes.
The cosmetic fixes are easy, bumpers, lights, paint....
your main concern is going to be frame & rear axle damage. Make sure that if the car sustained that kind of damage, appropriate insurance action is taken. Get a good (more than one opinion, preferably) look underneath. Serious damage to the "real" parts of a car, could cause a total loss altogether, or if you decide to keep the car, cause more problems than what it's worth.

Carlos
:zoom:
Saprissa@aol.com

kaze81 07-04-2007 01:06 PM

Sorry to hear that. Btw, do you have any pics of the car after being hit?

nickgailloux 07-04-2007 01:19 PM

I had two problems when I got rear ended. One was that the trunk gaps were not adjusted properly. The trunk was sticking out more on the left then it was on the right. Also, it didnt close properly the first few times. The other problem was that they put my lettering on funny. They put "C 230" instead of "C230". I later found out there is absolutely no template provided for this, and its all done by eye. They dont even measure. It took a bit of arguing with the body shop guy to get the lettering put in the right spot.

By the way, I got hit at about 10-20km/h and it caused about $4k in damage to the rear. Trunk was replaced, left tail light replaced, and left quarter panel had a smaller dent removed. Bumper survived unscathed because the guy that hit me was in a big truck.

Blake P 07-04-2007 01:35 PM

My sedan got rear ended at a stop light when a guy in a pink shirt forgot to hit the brakes. The rear bumper was replaced and all was well.

ML55CLA45 07-04-2007 07:20 PM

my 02 c240 got rear-ended.... i had exited the hiway and was at a full stop yielding to on coming traffic... dude in a white shirt (not pink) apparently forgot to hit his breaks... id say he was going 30ish right into my rear...

insurance totaled the car... 16-17k to fix....

pictures....
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/188875-rear-ended-x2-bad-month.html

-carino

BlackLiquorish8 07-04-2007 07:43 PM

i got rear ended the first week i got my car. some a-hole was going way too fast and i was at a stop sign you know the ones that construction workers hold up? ya so he slammed into my car because he was going too fast and his brakes were horrible. the car had very little damage just the rear bumper got really scuffed it got repainted. the car is fine

Boom vang 07-04-2007 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saprissa (Post 2304446)
MB's hold up pretty good at low-impact crashes.
The cosmetic fixes are easy, bumpers, lights, paint....

Carlos
:zoom:
Saprissa@aol.com

Actually Canadian Mercedes cars handle low impact crashes better. Our bumpers laws are tougher than the US. Our (CDN c-class) bumpers are stronger and bringing in a US spec car needs about $4000 of strengthening under the bumper cap in order to register the vehicle. Some cars like BMW, Porsche and AUDI do not need to be modified as they have a true 5mph bumper

Midnight Koop 07-04-2007 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blake P (Post 2304498)
My sedan got rear ended at a stop light when a guy in a pink shirt forgot to hit the brakes. The rear bumper was replaced and all was well.

was it pink or salmon? i think i remember seeing a pic of E on here with a shirt like that... did you know him back when it happened? haha

advans 07-04-2007 11:17 PM

wow...that sucks man

Saprissa 07-04-2007 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boom vang (Post 2305065)
Actually Canadian Mercedes cars handle low impact crashes better. Our bumpers laws are tougher than the US. Our (CDN c-class) bumpers are stronger and bringing in a US spec car needs about $4000 of strengthening under the bumper cap in order to register the vehicle.

Don't those Canadian reinforced bumpers weigh a ton though ?? At least that's what I've heard. Safety paramount to light spring-weight.

slammer111 07-05-2007 12:27 AM

My 2003 C-coupe was rear-ended a couple of years back. Stopped at a crosswalk (night + rain) and the other guy didn't even notice. Estimating about 30-40 km/h. Dent in the bumper and scuffed paint. Having a slippery rainy road helped absorb part of the impact.

At the MB body shop they said the only thing that needed replacing was a piece of styrofoam. They just repainted the bumper. You can still sorta see the original dent (guess the plastic deformed) if you knew where to look.

Car is Canadian-spec. Is it true that Canadian bumpers are stronger than US ones?

$900CAD damage.

KleanC 07-05-2007 02:21 AM

About 2 months back, I was driving my friends 06 c230 (black) and i got rear ended at a light on wilshire and westwood. Some guy in a truck hit me trying to run the light, thinking i was going to run it while it's turning red. The guy hit me with full force and then booked it. Hit n Run. Her incurance took care of everything. Her car is no where near the same. The exaughst tip she has on isn't cut into the bumper and her car sounds sooooo wierd like there's a hole in he rmuffler. Make sure you have them fully restore it properly. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope all goes well.

Saprissa 07-05-2007 02:23 AM

why does the OP's post-count read zero ? :nix:

mechcad

vraa 07-05-2007 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saprissa (Post 2305340)
why does the OP's post-count read zero ? :nix:

mechcad

I dunno, but that's badass.
No really though, I'm looking into it.

Saprissa 07-05-2007 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by vraa (Post 2305341)
I dunno, but that's badass.
No really though, I'm looking into it.

LOL !
:D

sincere1228 10-21-2014 01:25 AM

here's my car got hit earlier today

I was a a full stop foot on brake and a guy in a truck hit me at like 50 miles an hour his airbags came out but not mine...do anyone think it will be totaled out ..sorry this is the only picture I took

VVF 10-21-2014 11:44 AM

Can't see the picture. 2001? My guess is totalled...
Figure about 1.5-2k in bumper replacement alone.

C_steapsC230 10-21-2014 11:19 PM

My 2002 c230k coupe was totalled after being rear ended, I was at a stop in drive and was hit at 35 mph

neurodave 10-22-2014 11:30 AM

Aside from the cosmetics, I'd be more worried about the rear end. With the car in P and E-brake on and being pushed 5+ feet, I'd assume some damage may come about.

VVF 10-22-2014 12:20 PM

Ebrake? Are you responding to post 17?