C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Have you noticed this about the cruise control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Have you noticed this about the cruise control?

The talk about the Distronic "auto" cruise control led me to post this. Have you all noticed the interesting thing about our regular cruise control on the C's? When you engage the cruise, the throttle returns to its idle position and does not move while going up hills, etc. No doubt this is due to the throttle-by-wire setup. Normally, the throttle linkage is controlled by a vacuum device, and since this is directly connected to the accelerator pedal, you can feel the pedal moving slightly when going up or down hills (to maintain the set speed) if your foot is lightly resting on it. You can still press on the accelerator to override the selected speed, but you "press through" the distance where the pedal would have been. Also, when it disengages, you don't feel the pedal return since it's already in the idle position.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:35 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
Yeah, but I think the best feature of the cruise is that, for those of us with 6-speed manuals, pushing in the clutch doesn't cancel the cruise control, but instead lets it drop to idle while you change gears. Once you have found the gear you wish to use, cruise is resumed. This may be normal for some, but I'm a previous Honda owner - I'm thrilled!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:44 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Thanks for the tidbit surreal this thing just keeps getting better. That was a minor detail yet has always bugged me about my Toyotas- no more.

Can you still accel/decel from the wheel controls I hope?

C230/6speed/orion/C7/changer - not soon enough!
Old 01-02-2002, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by o2bsurreal
Yeah, but I think the best feature of the cruise is that, for those of us with 6-speed manuals, pushing in the clutch doesn't cancel the cruise control, but instead lets it drop to idle while you change gears. Once you have found the gear you wish to use, cruise is resumed. This may be normal for some, but I'm a previous Honda owner - I'm thrilled!
I've thought of trying this, but haven't. But, the owner's manual says the cruise control will be cancelled if "declutching" exceeds 4 seconds. I guess they figure most normal shifts are completed in that time frame.

Zimmer26:
Yes, the cruise is controlled by a separate stalk above the turn signal stalk. At first it seems a little complicated, but it's perfectly logical. Tap up for accel/set, down for coast/set, back for cancel, forward for resume. (Yes, you can set it initially be tapping up or down).
Old 01-02-2002, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is way better than my previous manual MB. When you stepped on the clutch the engine would redline.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is way better than my previous manual MB. When you stepped on the clutch the engine would redline when the CC was engaged.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
This is way better than my previous manual MB. When you stepped on the clutch the engine would redline when the CC was engaged.
That's not cool. Maybe it was a "feature" to test the high-rev limiter :p .