MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   Tints 'n Cops (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/214857-tints-n-cops.html)

farbod 10-20-2007 04:43 PM

Tints 'n Cops

I just got 5% limo tints(All windows except windshield) on my C240 and wanted to ask for u guy's opinions aboud ligality issues with tints. This applies to all states!

Anyone knows whats the law in CA?? I heard that any tint in the front is illegal!

Have you ever been p ulled over for your tints?
How much was the ticket?

KIRA 10-20-2007 05:24 PM

eh... i remembered reading is like 35% limit... and no front tit :confused:

BlackLiquorish8 10-20-2007 05:36 PM

i got 20% llumar Black Tint all around except windshield. i've gotten like 4 tickets within a year when i was upstate for college. the cops pull me over and measure my tints. they always come up to 13% i didnt take the tint off b/c it'll cost more than to just pay the dumb tickets. the red neck cops dont care about pbas or anything if you have a nicer car they will do anything to ticket you. i havent had any problems moving back home to long island.

ScottW911 10-20-2007 05:39 PM

Front tint can be the darkest factory tint they would apply to front windows. Anything else is illegal in CA. The ticket is a fix-it ticket. Some cities/counties will charge a nominal fine to fix-it tickets. OC's is something like $25.

The highest cost is applying tint, taking it off and re-applying if you feel masochistic.

fresh240 10-20-2007 05:47 PM

in nj the front windows cant have any but the rest can be as dark as you want

Shake 10-20-2007 05:52 PM

In Michigan you can't have any on the front windows but I have 15%.

This has the laws for every state :y

http://tintlaws.com/

ggong5150 10-20-2007 10:43 PM

In CA, any tint on the front driver and passenger window is illegal. Usually city cops do not care but I've been busted by CHP 3 times. Also been pulled over by Sheriff once, but let me go since I know another sheriff in town.
The ticket given is a fix it ticket which if you correct is $10, or pay the fine which I did and it was $130.

slowrey 10-21-2007 12:40 AM

I used to love dark tint but I suppose I just grew up. 30-35% tint looks good and it doesn't impede vision.

raymond g- 10-21-2007 01:05 AM

we have enough rural country areas around Seattle...with lots of gray weather
so having it darker than 30% just makes it difficult to see at night properly in
dimly lit forested roads. so it's max 35% for me...which is the legal threshold.
tougher tint laws in CA...even with more sunshine and more lights

bmt808 10-21-2007 02:41 AM

greetings fellow mb owners.hear in hawaii,oahu,honolulu the ticket is 287.00 PER WINDOW.so in other words since my coupe has both driver and passenger front and quater panel plus back window, that means my ticket would be 287.00 x 5.no bs..for real! the legal limit is 35% but i got 13% but knocking on wood i didnt get one of those yet.

farbod 10-22-2007 12:06 AM

I love my 5% limo tints. its a little bit hard to see outside at night but I love my privacy :)
When I see a cop, I just role down the window. Beverly Hills Cops are going down on driver and passenger side tints but it would take me like 10 tickets to take em off lol
A cauple of my friends got a fix it ticket and actually paid $180 so they wont have to take it off!

eriklin 10-31-2007 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by farbod (Post 2465286)
I love my 5% limo tints. its a little bit hard to see outside at night but I love my privacy :)
When I see a cop, I just role down the window. Beverly Hills Cops are going down on driver and passenger side tints but it would take me like 10 tickets to take em off lol
A cauple of my friends got a fix it ticket and actually paid $180 so they wont have to take it off!

It's illegal in CA if you tint your front windows. I have 28% Quantum tint It looks great. But i got pull over once. just be careful...especially when you go LAX airport to pick up friends or family members cuz cops over there do give ticket to tint windows.

1qikctr 10-31-2007 12:39 AM

i got a ticket for 210$ from tint windows over the weekend in SF... is that the right price ?

C230 Sport Coup 10-31-2007 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1qikctr (Post 2479892)
i got a ticket for 210$ from tint windows over the weekend in SF... is that the right price ?

Damn. And how much if you fix it?
I get nervous when I have my windows 1/2 way open, because thats when it's most obvious.
IF I ever get a ticket, my plan would be to try to hit a small town cop shop, and see if they even bother to come out and look. Maybe they'd just sign it?
Ask around if anyone has a cop friend.

farbod 10-31-2007 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup (Post 2480016)
Damn. And how much if you fix it?
I get nervous when I have my windows 1/2 way open, because thats when it's most obvious.
IF I ever get a ticket, my plan would be to try to hit a small town cop shop, and see if they even bother to come out and look. Maybe they'd just sign it?
Ask around if anyone has a cop friend.

Cop friend wont work!!! It has to be a cop from a special department.! my brother had to take his tints off! He had to go the the BH courthouse where they have a special division for theese kindaa fix-it ticket. Or if you wanna pay the fine, its $130 in CA.
I just pull down the window when I see a cop!

JohnCL 10-31-2007 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by farbod (Post 2465286)

What do you need privacy for??

jagsy 10-31-2007 11:05 AM

Mine is pretty dark. Here in Florida, I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for tint.:zoom:

Tyler Durden 10-31-2007 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shake (Post 2463881)
In Michigan you can't have any on the front windows but I have 15%.

This has the laws for every state :y

http://tintlaws.com/

Thanks for the link... :y

But I had the opportunity to "discuss" the state's tint laws with a trooper that pulled me over the other week...

My S was previously a FLA ride and is blacked out. I'm gonna keep it that way for as long as I can, since I'm hopefully moving out west soon anyway.

Rolling down the windows (front and rear) before the officer gets to your vehicle is a really good idea, and if they ask why you did it, make sure you tell them it was out of respect for their safety and so they could see in the car...that goes a long way.

kompressor85 10-31-2007 01:02 PM

i love the way tint looks and i'd defiantely do it to my car....but it decreases the ability of a radar detector to pick up police radar, and attracts attention from cops. thats the last thing i need. haha.

Saprissa 10-31-2007 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jagsy (Post 2480320)
Mine is pretty dark. Here in Florida, I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for tint.:zoom:

that's because there are no laws in Florida, and if there are no one follows them anyway.

Mad_Game 10-31-2007 01:33 PM

i used to have 5% 3M tint on my celica. nothing but a hassle to have that constant worry about cops, hard to drive in rain, and reversing at night is unsafe.

now i have 20% madico tint. very clean look, and a lot more manageable for everyday driving. at night it's perfect. i now keep my windows up when isee cops, very satisfied.

C230 Sport Coup 10-31-2007 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_Game (Post 2480617)
i used to have 5% 3M tint on my celica. nothing but a hassle to have that constant worry about cops, hard to drive in rain, and reversing at night is unsafe.

now i have 20% madico tint. very clean look, and a lot more manageable for everyday driving. at night it's perfect. i now keep my windows up when isee cops, very satisfied.

Yeh, I can't imagine having 5% tint. I have 15% in the back of the car, and can barely see out at night or backing up. Finally have a use for that clear plastic strip in the coupey! 35% on the front windows seem fine to me.

farbod 10-31-2007 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 2480159)
What do you need privacy for??

my parents are kinaa strict about me taking girls home so i just do it in the back of my car :)

farbod 10-31-2007 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by C230 Sport Coup (Post 2480627)
Yeh, I can't imagine having 5% tint. I have 15% in the back of the car, and can barely see out at night or backing up. Finally have a use for that clear plastic strip in the coupey! 35% on the front windows seem fine to me.

Its not that bad. I'm planning on adding a back-up camera with a COMMAND system soon to resolve backing up visibility problem!

JohnCL 10-31-2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by farbod (Post 2481183)
my parents are kinaa strict about me taking girls home so i just do it in the back of my car :)

Good boy.....:naughty::naughty: