MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   D.I.Y. - Interior Footwell LEDs (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/226163-d-i-y-interior-footwell-leds.html)

acr2001 01-13-2008 05:47 PM

I would be interested in doing this if it could be made to look like stock.

That means a fairly dim glow from the foot wells, and the color of the lights would have to be a yellowish white (I know it doesent sound like a very appealing color, but it would match the rest of the lighting in the car.

That's how the stock foot well lights in the E class and up work.

Shake 01-13-2008 06:01 PM

Btw if anyone is looking for a neon underbody kit, click in my sig. :D

kevblah 01-13-2008 06:10 PM

Proper Tapping of Fuses

Since my ghetto tapping of the fuses was frowned upon, I went to AutoZone today and picked up 3 Add-A-Circuit's and a 2pack of these little circular grounding things, haha! Hopefully I have it all done right now.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7321/img0448lm7.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/223/img0451yy9.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7720/img0455gd6.jpg

BlackLiquorish8 01-13-2008 06:41 PM

nice DIY

on the flip side anyone wanna help me tint my tails??? :naughty:

WaveyKat 01-13-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8 (Post 2596269)
nice DIY

on the flip side anyone wanna help me tint my tails??? :naughty:

Nick "C24owner" did mines and it came out GREAT maybe he can help you

slammer111 01-13-2008 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 2596212)

That means a fairly dim glow from the foot wells, and the color of the lights would have to be a yellowish white (I know it doesent sound like a very appealing color, but it would match the rest of the lighting in the car.

+1 It would also be nice if the brighness could be adjusted with the turning dial, just like the cluster/radio/climate.

User110 01-14-2008 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 2596614)
Nick "C24owner" did mines and it came out GREAT maybe he can help you

how did he do it? tint or Nightshades?

doing mine soon myself so i gotta figure out what exactly i wanna do.

ALi

User110 01-14-2008 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 2596212)

That's how the stock foot well lights in the E class and up work.

i have factory foot lights in my car and you can barely notice them, a brighter bulb/LED would be great, so don't make it too dim, and if you want a factory look go with a yellow or a red, would look great.

ALi

BLCKW203K 01-14-2008 01:23 PM

Anyone know if you can replace the factory foot lights with a brighter bulb/LED? And if so where could you get it? I think that would look perfect..

zoomie 01-14-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrMercedes (Post 2595176)
Can We Say RICE! Sorry not a fan. If I wanted to do that, I would have gotten a Honda.

if you weren't remotely interested, you woudln't have visited the thread. he did a good job on the install and took tons of time to create the pics, edit them and post. don't knock it. just leave the thread. we don't need your comments here. :smash:

KEVBLAH: I was just looking at that same kit a couple days ago. Great DIY job. Thanks so much for taking the effort to create this for the forum. Glad we have contributors here on the forum like yourself. Just ignore the other folks that can't appreciate the effort. The quality of the photos are great too. Thanks!

moosejaw 01-14-2008 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kevblah (Post 2595968)
Thanks to everyone that can appreciate this DIY even if it's not your style!

I should clarify.....Say if i gave the owner of the miami dolphins a ride in my c32, since he is an AMG fan and my company's main client, I would feel really bad if he had ...a seizure cos' all sorts of strobes were going off.

MJ50 01-14-2008 04:21 PM

wonder how it would've looked if amber bulbs were used... :p:

loki 01-14-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by zoomie (Post 2597771)
if you weren't remotely interested, you woudln't have visited the thread. he did a good job on the install and took tons of time to create the pics, edit them and post. don't knock it. just leave the thread. we don't need your comments here. :smash:

KEVBLAH: I was just looking at that same kit a couple days ago. Great DIY job. Thanks so much for taking the effort to create this for the forum. Glad we have contributors here on the forum like yourself. Just ignore the other folks that can't appreciate the effort. The quality of the photos are great too. Thanks!

+1.............. Not my taste any more, but 20 years ago I was his age and would have been right there doing the same thing. Great Job, and enjoy your ride! note: Please do be very careful of what fuse you get power from.

kevblah 01-14-2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by zoomie (Post 2597771)

thanks a lot man! glad to know my work spent is appreciated by someone haha

kevblah 01-14-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by loki (Post 2598165)
note: Please do be very careful of what fuse you get power from.

yeah i rewired it all again today
im now drawing power from 2 previously empty fuse slots and one other fuse thats only used to power the teleaid equip

also added a rocker switch to turn my v1 on and off...absolutely great

LuxuryC240 01-14-2008 07:31 PM

Kev sweet job on the DIY there really isn't any other way to do it. I have it installed exactly the same. For the people worried about too much light, I have one of the pairs facing the rear seats...looks awesome in my opinion...and is not overly bright. I'd love to get pics for you all but I suck at taking pictures and I'm lazy cuz its snowing out :y

I use the hazards fuse (with the correct fuse taps) to power mine...

kevblah 01-14-2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by LuxuryC240 (Post 2598230)
Kev sweet job on the DIY there really isn't any other way to do it. I have it installed exactly the same. For the people worried about too much light, I have one of the pairs facing the rear seats...looks awesome in my opinion...and is not overly bright. I'd love to get pics for you all but I suck at taking pictures and I'm lazy cuz its snowing out :y

I use the hazards fuse (with the correct fuse taps) to power mine...

Thanks man, my fuse box is chockful of goodness now.
I might make a DIY on installing switches in the W203 to power accessories.
I installed a rocker switch to turn on and off my V1 today.

loki 01-14-2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by kevblah (Post 2598240)
Thanks man, my fuse box is chockful of goodness now.
I might make a DIY on installing switches in the W203 to power accessories.
I installed a rocker switch to turn on and off my V1 today.

Please take pics of how easy it is to get past the fire wall. I have never taken pics of the "carpet padding" in the fire wall. Once removed, you can almost put your arm straight though. If you ever need power from the battery, this is great place to run the wire. K-40 or other radar detectors wires can be run past here and even sneak them past the rubber grommets in the fuse block before passing into the passenger compartment.

kevblah 01-14-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by loki (Post 2598351)
Please take pics of how easy it is to get past the fire wall. I have never taken pics of the "carpet padding" in the fire wall. Once removed, you can almost put your arm straight though. If you ever need power from the battery, this is great place to run the wire. K-40 or other radar detectors wires can be run past here and even sneak them past the rubber grommets in the fuse block before passing into the passenger compartment.

I actually didn't get past the firewall at all in any of my installations. I actually don't even know how to do it.

loki 01-14-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kevblah (Post 2598360)
I actually didn't get past the firewall at all in any of my installations. I actually don't even know how to do it.

open hood, remove fuse pane cover on drivers side. In car, remove plastic hush panel. In car you can see a piece of foam under drivers side. Remove from there. Engine side, look into fuse box on drivers side deep into back of fuse box. Once the padding is removed, you have a straight shot into the passenger compartment. Please PM me with questions.

Moviela 01-14-2008 09:49 PM

Fabulous. A good concept. I like it. I am a big fan of recessed lighting. Nicely writen explaination, and follow-up to tidy the wiring.

Konka 01-14-2008 10:18 PM

Does anyone know if you could wire it up to go on only when the door opens????

outaurleague 01-14-2008 11:29 PM

Not bad Kev, reminds me of the civic days. Too much light IMO, but looks good.

dirtdiggler 01-15-2008 10:05 AM

Kevblah,
thanks for sharing.. i have a few suggestions..
first - any hardware store or radio shack has these cable clamps that can secure the neon tube to metal of seats. Carefully drill holes for the cable clamps.
second - your rocker switch doesn't match the look of your car, oznium or again radio shack has the round style rocker switches that are discrete and can be mounted under the dash of inside the console for a clean look.

My plans as the weather warms up here in ohio is to install the same neon but might wire into the driver and passenger doors when opened.. I found a site "bensbenz" that has a great diy on illuminated door sill. and also add clear cathodes inside the trunk.

thanks
dirt diggler

outaurleague 01-15-2008 10:35 AM

Lets not talk about Ohio weather right now. I hate this place. I cant wait to go back to FL. :smash::topic: