C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How do you change the battery on your 2002 MB C240?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you change the battery on your 2002 MB C240?

I think my key is out of batteries because I am starting to have trouble opening the door. Does anyone know how to change the battery in it and what type of battery it uses?
Old 12-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Talking Ooh! Ooh! Let me! Let me!

RTFM!

If you go to the manual, there's a nice writeup on how to remove the battery from the key, and what type it is.

Basically, you remove the metal key, then pry the end where it came from out, and the battery's on a plastic tray that pops out. Actually, the manual's not too good about explaining this part. If you look at the end of the key once the metal's removed, you should be able to see the outline of where the removable part is. Kind of like in the orignal Scooby-Doo cartoons, where you can see the outline of a secret door in the cells. Don't know if that helps, but haven't seen a Scooby reference here, so thought I'd be the first. HTH
Old 12-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

You live in LA, there are a ton of MB dealers. Drive to one and take your key to the parts department. They will (1) show you how to open the key and (2) pop in a new battery for you for free.

Hopefully, that is really the problem. The keys have been proven to be tremedously unreliable, and often it's something other than the battery.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by MacPhisto
Hopefully, that is really the problem. The keys have been proven to be tremedously unreliable, and often it's something other than the battery.
Where do you get your information from? Most of what you say here is just stuff you make up. I think tremendously unreliable is a pretty strong thing to say, especially when it's not true. Besides there being an issue with keys on '01 C-classes, that is about the extent of it. Other than that problem with one model in one model year, the keys seem to work pretty well and stay that way. I wouldn't call that tremendously unreliable. Would you?
Old 12-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Matt230K
Where do you get your information from? Most of what you say here is just stuff you make up. I think tremendously unreliable is a pretty strong thing to say, especially when it's not true. Besides there being an issue with keys on '01 C-classes, that is about the extent of it. Other than that problem with one model in one model year, the keys seem to work pretty well and stay that way. I wouldn't call that tremendously unreliable. Would you?
Yes. All of the keys, including the current ones, have a defect that causes the battery to lose its contact. And, other issues.

My E320 has gone through several sets of keys, so its not only a C issue.

There have been at least two Technical Service Bulletins relating to the "Smart" keys - those are only the ones I've seen and I think there are more.

If your parts and service department is not replacing keys on a daily basis, they are not in the norm.

I'm sure more than one person here has had problems with their keys. That's the way it is on other MB boards, for all the MBs that use the "Smart" key - lots of issues with the keys. Either not unlocking the car. Not starting the car (also, problems with the electronic ignition switch). Not properly opening and closing the windows like it should. Etc.

But, after reading through some of the old posts here, I forgot. This is MBWorld. A world where MBs are more reliable as Toyotas, where C230s are faster than S2000s, etc.

Last edited by MacPhisto; 12-07-2002 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Yes. All of the keys, including the current ones, have a defect that causes the battery to lose its contact. And, other issues.

My E320 has gone through several sets of keys, so its not only a C issue.
No doubt he read about it in the WSJ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jim Banville
MacPhisto, what personal experience do you have with MB unreliability?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 eyes and subscriptions to 9 automotive publications and the Wall Street Journal. From where do you obtain your information?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Outland
No doubt he read about it in the WSJ...
And from where do you obtain your information about automobiles and the automobile industry?

I am always looking to improve my sources of information. Based on your post, you must believe your sources are superior to mine, so please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Fellas, maybe we can concentrate on the issues, here. Yes, there have been problems with the batteries making proper contact within the keys... I have taken my key apart myself and watch the batteries fall out... I slightly bent the contacts to provide better grip on the batteries... five minutes out of my life... no problems since.

Apart from the few early production cases where the EIS was the culprit, the key has always started my car, and allowed me to drive, so for me it's not a matter of "reliability" at all. If the SmartKey fails to unlock the car (again an early production issue) there is a back-up metal key within to at least get you inside. But, IMO, these are annoying quality glitches (not reliability issues) that are being addressed by MB on a case by case basis, as needed. The security benefits of the SmartKey far outweigh the minor glitches some of us experience.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-08-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MB-BOB
Fellas, maybe we can concentrate on the issues, here. Yes, there have been problems with the batteries making proper contact within the keys... I have taken my key apart myself and watch the batteries fall out... I slightly bent the contacts to provide better grip on the batteries... five minutes out of my life... no problems since.

That's a minor problem for you, but a major problem for a lot of others who don't know the solution. Their keys stop working, or only work intermittently, the dealers don't do the little fix, but instead make the customer bring the car in, then order a new set of keys, then make the customer bring the car back again for reprogramming, etc.

I live on a street where there is literally one or two late model MBs in every garage. The keys are a very common complaint in the neighborhood.

If they key doesn't open the door as it is supposed to, and is replaced by the dealer, its a reliability problem. Not functioning = not reliable.

I don't see it as a really big deal, but it is what it is. Why fight it with denials, semantics, etc?? What's the point of doing that?
Old 12-08-2002, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
I agree. Shame on MB for producing this lousy key. I have been in 3 times for replacement. The last time I told them was the last. Fix it or take the car back. They ordered 2 new keys and replaced both at once. They were pre-programmed so I didn't have to wait all day for it to synchoronize. Hope it's the last of it.