C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2001-2003 Center Console Armrest Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
2001-2003 Center Console Armrest Troubleshooting

Hi, my girlfriend is having a problem with the armrest in her C230K.

The armrest will not lock when pushed down.

I was looking at the mechanism's for the armrest and I don't see anything that's broken.

It seems like something is out of alignment, but there is nothing that is adjustable.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if so, how they rectified it.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2002, 09:17 PM

C230K
pull the left lever(the longer one) and then push down. the arm rest is adjustable. It can be all the way in or raised. so don't worry, it's not broken
Old 03-02-2002, 10:59 PM

M3
Sorry, I think I mis-described my problem.

I CAN push the armrest all the way down, but it's not locking.

Think of a door that closes, but doesn't "click" and stay closed.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:04 AM

C230K
okay. i can still pull mine up too. if you just pull up on the arm rest it will click, which would be the raised position. if you pull the lever and then push down it will be all the way down. i'm not sure if there is a clicking noise associated with this part of the motion. i know what you're talking about, i think, and i'm pretty sure that this is just one of the things that the arm rest does.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:48 AM

M3
The problem is, I can pull my armrest up WITHOUT using the lever.

A good analogy would be a door that you close, that doesn't stay shut. The problem is that you can open this door without turning the door knob.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:30 PM

M3
The problem I have is different.

The upper storage compartment in my armrest can't be opened either because of the problem I have.

The upper storage compartment is "locked" when you have access to the lower storage compartment.

Now, imagine not being able to open your upper storage compartment at all (even when the lower storage compartment is closed), and being able to close and open the lower storage compartment without it ever locking into place.

It wasn't like this when she first got the car, it only developed a few hours ago.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:52 PM

C230K
why don't you take it to the dealer
Old 03-03-2002, 01:18 PM

M3
We plan to...it's just that the problem surfaced yesterday morning and the dealer is closed on the weekends.

I was hoping someone would know a simple fix so I wouldnt' have to go all the way to the dealer to get it fixed.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me out, it is much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:36 PM
Nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2015 ESS Supercharged Lamborghini Huracan, 2016 Mustang GT
I had this same problem! The console would not lock. It would not stop at the other two locking settings when pulled up. The top compartment would take some force to open and close. This was on a C240 but by appearances, it looks the same as the C230's. The dealer replaced the whole console. It works perfectly now and no damage was done by the re-install.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:43 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
The spring latch is a really simple basic mechanism. Just look carefully and see if you can spot what is wrong? Usually, a problem like that, is that a little spring fell out of place or similar.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:14 PM

M3
I have looked at the mechanism and it is very simple. I don't see why it DOESN'T work.

I will take it into the dealer on Monday. I'm glad to hear that the console was changed without damage to NAV's car.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
In case you didn't visit the dealer yet, I just checked out my C240 console at lunch time. On the lower section, when lifted, you'll see two "finger" type projections at the bottom sides of the part that goes into the console opening. These retract and "lock" when you pull up the lever to unlock the lower portion. Above the finger on the right side is a release mechanism which is triggered by a projection molded into the right side of the console opening. If you just press on that release, the two fingers pop back out to their latched position. This also releases the other latch for the upper section. It seems as though either your "fingers" are not being released, or they are not fitting into the three holes also present in the console for the 3 positions. If those fingers don't pop out all the way, the lever will not be released to allow the opening of the upper console section. Hope this helps!
Old 03-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
console

No u dont need to bring it to the dealer thats just the way they are when they are down all the way u can still open them with out using the lever. mine is like that so i went to the dealer and sat in 3 other c230 coupes and they are all the same they dont lock when they are down all the way. dont as me why but it dosent bother me it wont open unless u push it up.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: console

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
No u dont need to bring it to the dealer thats just the way they are when they are down all the way u can still open them with out using the lever. mine is like that so i went to the dealer and sat in 3 other c230 coupes and they are all the same they dont lock when they are down all the way. dont as me why but it dosent bother me it wont open unless u push it up.
No, he's saying that when the lower section is closed all the way, he can't open the upper section because the latch is still locked. It has nothing to do with the three positions where you can pull up the armrest part way. I'm saying that the latching "fingers" are not releasing all the way which keeps the upper section latch from being operable.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:49 AM

M3
Hi Mark, yeah, I had already looked at the mechanism and had figured out what you had told me.

What bothered me the most was that the "finger" should hit the trigger and push the 2 projections out.

It's SO SIMPLE, but yet it doesn't work. I don't know what gives.

Nothing seems broken, so something must be misaligned causing the "finger" to miss the "trigger" that pushes the "projections" out.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Maybe the projections are being released but not travelling out far enough to release the upper latch. Try checking the projections again by releasing them manually. When they pop out (as you hold the lower console up), check the upper latch to see if you can open it. Maybe there's a problem with the springs which push out the projections... The only other idea I have is that the projections are not fitting into the slots inside the console opening. But, it seems that something would have to be way out of line for that to happen, although I guess it could happen on one side...
Old 03-06-2002, 01:43 AM

M3
The dealer said it'd replace the two top pieces for us.

I'm thinking your "spring" theory is correct.

At the dealership, it seemed that the "fingers" popped out further with less effort than mine do.

Thanks!