MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   Wheel Locks (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/3122-wheel-locks.html)

Pete 12-03-2001 11:00 AM

Wheel Locks

I took off what I thought were lug-nuts, yesterday, to put on some locking ones, only to find that they are, in fact, lug-bolts. I called up some parts stores, and no one had anything like that. Does anyone know where I can find these (other than the Mercedes parts department)?

~Pete

peter_j_arialis@hotmail.com

awiner 12-03-2001 11:33 AM

You can call Tire Rack (See the Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum) moderated by Luke at Tire Rack.

Also, most major tire stores may have them (Globe, etc).

RedC230K 12-03-2001 07:57 PM

Pete -
If someone jacks the car up to steal the wheels, the alarm will go crazy. I suspect this is why MB didn't install them from the factory.
And thanks for the CD info!! Awesome!

Pete 12-04-2001 11:42 AM

ranting and raving! :)

I suspect that they didn't put wheel locks on, in the first place, because they can charge $70 for four of them, which is ridiculous.

That would be the same reason that they don't make an in-dash CD player available, so you have to pay $1000 (installed), for the 6-disc Alpine changer (which retails for roughly $349, by the way). Mercedes-Benz switched the interface to fiber, because people were buying the (identical) Alpine units, for much less, when the interface was electrical. Shady people...

You can buy an electrical-to-fiber interface to use the retail changer, but I believe that the interface is fairly expensive.

BMWs come with an in-dash radio/cassette-player, as well, but they'll replace it with an in-dash radio/CD-player, for $200. Shady, as well? Yes, but much less so than MB.

A cassette deck is no cheaper than a CD player, today, and a CD player should either be standard or swapped (at no charge) from a cassette deck, at the customer's request.

~Pete

RedC230K 12-04-2001 12:26 PM

I agree!

A rant, but legitimate!
I figure that my wheels are adequately protected by the alarm system, which trips if the car is jacked up for any reason. Also, I once broke a wheel lock key on the side of a desolate road at 2 a.m. on a Sunday and had to have the car towed to a dealer, where it sat until Monday.
So I'm biased against locks.

vinmanc32 12-04-2001 05:49 PM

get the wheel locks

I guess none of you live in NYC.. I think they can get off a set of four tires in about 90 seconds. Who cares about an alarm.. they are always going off. no one pays much attention to a screaming alarm. I guess it depends upon where you live but I find the alarm comments comical. I would get the locks. I have had them on all my cars and its great peace of mind.

tomqbui 12-04-2001 06:34 PM

wouldn't a good car thief have ways to get past the wheel lock anyhow? you can buy sockets for those things, though i can't imagine a thief carrying hundreds of those suckers around, just in case a potential car is there. any ol' car thieves out there that can tell us? =)

curtrich 12-04-2001 07:05 PM

I think there are only 50 or so "keys." MB Roadside Assistance vehicles have a full set.

While not a car thief, I can tell you that thieves just break into the trunk or glovebox to look for the key. They know it's in the car somewhere. Were I in NYC I'd probably have 5 on each wheel and no key and just call Roadside Assistance if I had a flat.

vinmanc32 12-04-2001 08:33 PM

never keep key in car

The key is always hidden in a very safe spot in the car that a thief will not get to within the 90 sec. time. Believe me, wheel locks are a great deterent. they know they have to spend additional time looking for a key, they will go to the next car... which may be yours without the wheel locks. Bottom line is, its better to have them than not. ;)

madryan 12-04-2001 08:37 PM

i live in NYC... and i definitely agree in getting wheel locks....
i just got my coupe about a week ago ... and i was suprised to find no locks...
as far as the alarm saving your wheels... forget about it
the only thing that will do is let others around you know that you are getting your wheels stolen...
even if you have locks... there is a way around them...
it's called a tow truck.... a thief can have any car he wants...
all he needs is a flatbed....
anyway.... locks are definitely an investment worth having...
because if there are two of the same cars on the same block ...
one has locks and one doesn't... which one do you think they would want to play with??

2 cents,
ryan

VoyagerDude 01-25-2002 03:43 PM

Wheel Locks

After reading the story about the wheels that were stolen in NY I started wondering about wheel locks.

Are they effective?
How much should I expect to pay for those (1 per wheel I guess)?
When can I buy them, besides the friendly MB dealer?

Thanks a lot!

VoyagerDude

Lynn 01-25-2002 04:07 PM

I have used products from this company. They have been around for a long time. http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/

I think they make the wheel locks sold by MB dealers.

Check for them at Autozone, and other large parts houses, and at discount stores. Discount stores may not stock them for Mercedes, but if you're in one check to auto department.

VoyagerDude 01-25-2002 04:41 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look.

VoyagerDude 01-25-2002 04:52 PM

Hi Lynn,

Just wanted to keep you informed.
I've called McGard (in Canada) and they've told me that none of the wheel locks that you can buy at an Auto- parts store will work with OEM Mercedes wheels.

I was also told that they have a contract with Mercedes for producing the wheel locks for OEM rims, and they sell them exclusively through "our friendly MB dealers".

Aren't they nice...

jack230 01-25-2002 05:31 PM

A quick Internet search seemed to indicate that there are wheel locks available for MB wheels at locations other than the dealer. My C230 is coming in next month, and since I got C7 (is there any other way to go?:) ), I'll have to get some.

shtatc 01-25-2002 05:54 PM

Hey guys...

Just got some wheels locks today...unfortunately had to spend $74 at the dealer....I have the AMG split spoke wheels on my C240 and went to a friend who works for Discount Tire for wheel locks....he looked around and no one had aftermarket wheel locks for the new W203 chassis car..they use Gorilla locks and Gorilla does not make locks for this model year (yet). He then called the AMG dealer in LA and they said that only MB has wheel locks for W203/AMG wheel set up....it sounds like there is no wheel lock yet available for the W203 chassis yet...but I may be wrong...but could not find anything....

BrabusCClass 01-28-2002 02:11 PM

Well, I may be not smart in doing this but I just used my wheel locks for the W202 on my W203. I recycled my wheel locks from my C36 to C240. I put it on the day I picked up my car and used them on my Brabus rims and they seem to fit fine with no problems. Its been like that for 15,000 miles (1 Year almost). I pretty sure you can get McGuards for a W202 stock or AMG rims and it should fit on your new W203.

young 05-02-2002 09:51 PM

wheel lug bolts pic - for my valuable C7 wheels... ;)

1 Attachment(s)
my latest mod! wheel locks :D my plan to have my c7 wheels stolen so i could get new wheels wasn't working. i don't think these will help. ;)

young 05-02-2002 09:54 PM

my Acura Integra Welcome Kit

1 Attachment(s)
eileen was rummaging thru some stuff - found her old welcome kit box that she got... is that a cassette tape? - title is "Acura Music Selections" highlights include "when i fall in love" by celine dion (who?), "i wanna dance w/ somebody" by whitney houston... :D finally, i can use my cassette deck!

the kit also included a key ring, pen, tire gauge, tip booklet and small flashlight! whoo hoo! more than i got from my mb dealer (2 keyrings...)

chuckd94 05-02-2002 09:54 PM

I would like to get some wheel locks. How much for the MB ones?

Let me guess $50, about 2x what other types cost.

Iceman's C230 05-02-2002 09:59 PM

I just don't understand why MB didn't put lug bolts on this car??:rolleyes:

BlackC230Coupe 05-02-2002 10:11 PM

are there any cheaper ones i dont need the MB brand.

timorgan 05-02-2002 10:47 PM

Ignorant mind needs to know...

How do they work? Do you have a key or something for them?

Thanks,

Tim

timorgan 05-02-2002 11:24 PM

Oh ok, I see. That's what I was thinking. So it's like that "X" part is the key that opens the bolts.

Thanks!

Tim

C230Komp 05-03-2002 08:20 AM

young,
Do you have the P/N that you ordered from Clair's? I didn't see them on the website. Thanks