C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Custom Air Ride suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz c230 kompressor sport sedan 2003
Custom Air Ride suspension

Okay, so after looking long and hard (that's what she said) I have come to the conclusion that air bag suspension kits are too dang expensive. for my c230 kompressor the kit is somewhere around $2,500 which is just too much considering that is approaching the worth of the car as a whole. Unfortunately, said c230 is starting to show it's age and the stock suspension is starting to feel a little worn out. as far as I can tell the struts are still in okay shape, but the springs themselves are whats making the ride so uncomfortable. so i decided on a little bit of a change. and while coilovers seem to be a great low budget replacement, and to address the "Why in the everloving HELL would you want to do THAT" comments ahead of time, I would like to find a way to put my car on air ride suspension, mostly due to poor road conditions where i live exaggerating how worn the current springs are, i would very much like the smooth ride of air bags, and the aesthetic value would be nice. I don't do much hard cornering so weight transfer and body roll is not much of a concern for me. that said i have had to approach the situation with a budget in mind, because while i love my car and plan to keep it for many more years to come, 2,500 for a suspension kit is just too much. however, i have come across this product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/251900896289 (used as example not reflective of final purchase) which would make it seem that i could remove the stock springs from the struts and simply replace them with these bags or similar bags and then simply replace the rear springs with similar, non sleeve bags and some brackets while leaving the rear shocks untouched. then I should be able to add some fittings, line, a small compressor and tank and actuators for around $700 total, which is pretty close to the cost of a set of coilovers. However that is still a substantial investment, and so before i do something really stupid and get started on a fools errand, i would like to know if anyone has ever done anything similar to this, or has any experience in this field (I am a novice after all). Thanks!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 PM

UPDATE: it appears after further research that i may not need extra brackets for the rear bags, i may be able to do some simple modifications to the spring brackets by drilling a couple of bolt holes, making the price even lower.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM

2005 w203
What bag kit did you find for the c230 kompressor. I live in California and i cant find a shop anywhere that does them smh
Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jlaverty
What bag kit did you find for the c230 kompressor. I live in California and i cant find a shop anywhere that does them smh
The kits I found were online, but they were all exorbitantly high in price. If you can find a decent custom shop and supply the parts, the setup I designed here would only run about $750-800 in parts. I can send a parts list if you want to see if anyone in your area will do it. Just post pics so i can see how it turns out plz.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM

2005 w203
I dont mind paying the shop the 2grand and some change, i just can find a shop thats able to do it for our cars, go ahead and shoot the list, and i’ll see whats up. But if u can give me the websites you used that would be great.