C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

WAnt to get an ASP pulley...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-27-2003, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe
WAnt to get an ASP pulley...

Hi,
I called Lee from ASP today. He told me that they no longer carry the aluminum or steel pulley anymore. The options are to send them the factory one and they mod it for 250. But i won't be able to drive for the car for 2 weeks, since i live in Toronto. Or they will get a factory one and mod it for me for 650. I was just wondering whether it is worth doing it. Since i am leasing this car for another 2 yrs.
Also anyone from Toronto knows any place that sell or mod pulley. Thanks for your time guys.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
if your not going to keep the car why spend more money on a car you not going to keep?
Old 03-27-2003, 02:45 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
well...i thought of that too..

but i want to mod it a little.....so that i would enjoy the car more for the next 2 yrs and i think the best mod is the pulley....which give me more power..

thanks for your reply tho...
Old 03-27-2003, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to your dealer and buy the factory pulley and ship it to Lee, that's what I did. The prices vary from dealer to dealer, list price is $310 and I've paid as little as $226 at a wholesale dealer and $270 and my local dealer, just see how much they'll discount it for you. Besides, you'll need that factory pulley to put back in when you turn it in and then you can sell your ASP pulley. Also there's a guy selling his new style ASP pulley on the csportcoupe.com forum for $450, a steal.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:52 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
hi,
who is selling the new style pulley on the csportcoupe forum. I tried looking for it, but i couldn't find it. Can u tell me who is selling is it? thanks man...
Old 03-27-2003, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

His screen name is C230AMG.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
thanks man...
Old 03-28-2003, 12:33 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
hi,
Do u think i should get a Klemmann Ring Pulley ...or a mod ASP pulley? Which one is better? Which one gives me better performances? any suggestions..
thanks
Old 03-28-2003, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This was one of the first pulley kits so it was popular about a year ago. From what I've heard, the add on ring pulley is tricky to install and many people removed it and some of the cars have had S/C failures. You have to get the ring aligned perfectly or the runout will bring it out of spec (which is .6mm). Also on one persons car it came off making a mess. If you get it, get a Kleemann dealer that will stand behind the product to install it or you won't get the full warranty and make sure he verifies the runout is within spec. If you are still interested, check with MagmaSLK, he has a brand new one Kleemann gave him after his mishap and has been trying to sell it since. Catch him on the SLK forums on MBWorld.org or BenzWorld.org, I'm sure it's priced right.

As far as performance goes, I haven't found any correlation between in performance between pulley brands, I've seen heavy steel pulleys pull more HP than my lighweight alloy pulley and visa versa. In theory a lighter weight pulley will give you more power but from what I've seen that's not always true. My guess is that the Kleemann ring pulley weighs about the same as the ASP pulley, they are both steel.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 03-28-2003 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:28 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Hi
ANyone know how the Unorthodox Pulley goes? Are they any good? thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Once again the complete obsession of a partial idea-

The stock pulley is dead on in run out- axial and radial, it is after all machined in a CNC center. In the odd circumstane that you drop ot (or whatever) you need to check it. If you install the KLEEMANN ring pulley correctly- which is easy to do- you will have the exact run out of the original pulley. Its people who do not follow directions, think they are smarter than the manufacturer or use non-authorized installers that have problems.

Just FYI: The spec Buell is quoting over and over agin is actually permissible run out of the DAMPER RING and not the drive plane of the pulley. Please see tech procedure pulled directly from MBZ WIS system, the indication points are on the suspended mass of the ring.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's why I recommended that they get an authorized Kleemann shop to install it, I don't think it's as easy as it looks and it's not worth the risk to save $100. That's why I use an official ASP reseller to install my pulleys, Linh.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:06 PM
gab

$100? some bay area dealers charge $300+ for that 1 hour job!

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
That's why I recommended that they get an authorized Kleemann shop to install it, I don't think it's as easy as it looks and it's not worth the risk to save $100. That's why I use an official ASP reseller to install my pulleys, Linh.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

C230
The guys I knew, said they're good but I do not recall them making anything for our cars.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

C230
The guys I knew, said they're good but I do not recall them making anything for our cars.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by gab
$100? some bay area dealers charge $300+ for that 1 hour job!
A while ago, when the Kleemann pulley first came out, Evosport quoted me about $85 to install it and that seemed fair, about 1 hour's labor. Don't know why they would charge $300 for that little amount of work. Even when I initially worked on getting a group buy together and spoke to various Kleemann dealers, most where in that $100 range, I think the most expensive was $125. It may be worth the trip down and have Vadim at Evosport do it. I know Linh charges $50 for a 6 spd. and $75 for an automatic to do any brand of pulley kit torqued to spec (not an airgun install) and he's done a lot of them, ASP and Kleemann but he's not a Kleemann dealer.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:27 AM
gab

many people in bay area got turned away because of high labor Kleemann dealers charge. I called all Kleemann dealers in the bay area and all give me bull**** like oh well it takes couple hours to do it right and you are looking at about 300 and most of them charge about 100/hr (most gas station repair shop here chagre $80-85. I dont know if they are just giving me BS and squeeze more money from me OR kleemann dealers dont know what they are doing; if they know what they are doing i dont think its no more than 1.5 hr job max and 1.5*100/hr = $150 I think thats the most fair price I would ever pay to get it done. Unfortunately kleemann only honor warrany if you get it installed by authorized dealers.

I just asked the shop which installed kineda 's car the owner told me it would take couple hours to do a 6sp probably looking at 250-300 but he's willing to do group buy with a "discount" install for $150 <-- i think thats BS

I wish bay area has a reputable shop like Evosport who does good work with a fair price.

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
A while ago, when the Kleemann pulley first came out, Evosport quoted me about $85 to install it and that seemed fair, about 1 hour's labor. Don't know why they would charge $300 for that little amount of work. Even when I initially worked on getting a group buy together and spoke to various Kleemann dealers, most where in that $100 range, I think the most expensive was $125. It may be worth the trip down and have Vadim at Evosport do it. I know Linh charges $50 for a 6 spd. and $75 for an automatic to do any brand of pulley kit torqued to spec (not an airgun install) and he's done a lot of them, ASP and Kleemann but he's not a Kleemann dealer.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:44 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
That is nothing... The Atlanta area Kleeman dealer quoted me over 2000.00 for the job including the pulley. I emailed him back and reminded him it was only a ring install, and he stuck by his figure. There is something about that star that causes people to lose all sense of reality. But I've had a good dose of reality with my car. Lots of problems (major), poor service, unbelievable depreciation, etc. However, they are always very polite as they basically tell you "tough *****".
Old 04-01-2003, 01:12 AM
gab

by this figure they probably charge $10K LABOR just to install a kleemann supercharger

now I think I should have gotten the mini copper S, cheaper and has tons of mod! full coilovers, LSD, bars, pulley kit, body kit etc... they only charge $150-$200 for a supercharger pulley!

minimania.com

Originally posted by speedfrk
That is nothing... The Atlanta area Kleeman dealer quoted me over 2000.00 for the job including the pulley. I emailed him back and reminded him it was only a ring install, and he stuck by his figure. There is something about that star that causes people to lose all sense of reality. But I've had a good dose of reality with my car. Lots of problems (major), poor service, unbelievable depreciation, etc. However, they are always very polite as they basically tell you "tough *****".
Old 04-01-2003, 09:52 AM

00' ML 55 AMG; 08' Jeep Wrangler Unlimted (4 Door)
Where are the good dealers on the East Coast?
I'm looking for one to do the install, Any Advice on one near NC?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:17 AM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
I have not EVER quoted a ring kit. I only will do the complete pulley system.

I have two Kleemann jobs in the shop currently and have performed over 10 of the Klemann upgrades.

Remember, you get what you pay for. We will NEVER be bullied into lower prices. We have plenty of customers and plenty of work. We do only the best, highest quality installs and our performance graphs and track days prove it.

I'm sorry if money will keep you from getting a high quality install that will last.

Oh, I almost forgot. Our prices are as quoted by Kleemann in the price guide. We only charge more for dyno testing and tuning.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You must work slow in the south because for $1,100 in labor you can remove the engine from the car to put the pulley on and maybe you do. What I would do is get a quote from the MB dealer to change a factory crank pulley, any labor time over that is just price gouging. I say keep your high prices if you can.

Heck, you can fly Linh round trip into GA for less than that and he's done way more than 10 pulley installs of Kleemann and ASP pullies on SLK230 and C230 Coupes without 1 problem. Just get a few installs together, Kleemann, ASP, any pulley kit and that will cover his expenses like people did with the Euro Command dude.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Originally posted by benzmac
I have not EVER quoted a ring kit. I only will do the complete pulley system.

I have two Kleemann jobs in the shop currently and have performed over 10 of the Klemann upgrades.

Remember, you get what you pay for. We will NEVER be bullied into lower prices. We have plenty of customers and plenty of work. We do only the best, highest quality installs and our performance graphs and track days prove it.

I'm sorry if money will keep you from getting a high quality install that will last.

Oh, I almost forgot. Our prices are as quoted by Kleemann in the price guide. We only charge more for dyno testing and tuning.
Money keeps me from getting a lot of things, but I appreciate your concern.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:22 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
You must not have read the post properly. I never said that I even recall the quote to speedfrk. You assumed that.

After talking with everyone in the shop, nobody is fessing up to this one.

That is NOT the correct price. I quote exactly out of the Kleemann manual and nothing else unless the customer wants more.

Furthermore, I don't install the ring kits.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 PM
gab

Originally posted by benzmac
You must not have read the post properly. I never said that I even recall the quote to speedfrk. You assumed that.

After talking with everyone in the shop, nobody is fessing up to this one.

That is NOT the correct price. I quote exactly out of the Kleemann manual and nothing else unless the customer wants more.

Furthermore, I don't install the ring kits.
how much you charge for installing the alloy kit?
why would you not install the ring kits?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: WAnt to get an ASP pulley...