MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   Engine management light (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/355452-engine-management-light.html)

Maximus777 06-16-2010 03:07 AM

Engine management light

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, and not a tech-head, so please bear with me. Two months ago I bought a 2003 C200K with 102000km on the clock. I know the owner and the car is in very good nick.

Last weekend I filled up with petrol, and went for a ride. After about 150km, I stopped at a robot, and felt the car idle irregularly. Approx 30km after that the engine light came on. Initially I thought it might be the petrol, and therefore drove the tank empty. Put in petrol where I normall do, but still the same problem. I took te car to Bosch, and the ran tests, after which telling me the Mass Air Flow Meter is faulty. Apart from being damn expensive, I am sceptic whther this will solve the issue. After I got the car back, the light was out, but came back on after about 20km. I cannot feel a difference in power whilst driving. The car is simply shuddering when idling.

I've read scar things about oil in looms, cracked vacuum pipes ect. I don't even know where to begin looking. If I really need to replace the MAF sensor that's fine, but I want to be 100% sure that it will fix the problem. ANY advice will be welcome. Please post pics of parts or where the are in the engine. Many thanks

W203E35 06-16-2010 03:31 AM

My uncle was having a similar problem with his car (ML) which ended up being the MAF sensor. He too would get the check engine light once in a while. I have heard of people cleaning their MAF Sensor. Maybe you can give that a try. How much does the MAF cost where you live? In the end we just changed it but to answer your question the symptoms can be from the MAF sensor.

Maximus777 06-16-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Karo (Post 4121485)
My uncle was having a similar problem with his car (ML) which ended up being the MAF sensor. He too would get the check engine light once in a while. I have heard of people cleaning their MAF Sensor. Maybe you can give that a try. How much does the MAF cost where you live? In the end we just changed it but to answer your question the symptoms can be from the MAF sensor.

Hi Karo

Many thanks for the repl. The quote was for R6400 which is around $1000. I would like to give the cleaning a try. Can you perhaps give me some directions? I don't even know where the MAF is located. With what can it be cleaned?

W203E35 06-16-2010 04:51 AM

1,000.00 for a MAF Sensor???

The most expensive MAF sensor is 420.00
There is something wrong with that price. I'll dig up a document on how to get to the MAF.

http://www.germanstar.net/1120940048xx.jpg

W203E35 06-16-2010 05:01 AM

My bro, I don't have a document on how to remove the MAF but below is how it looks. It should be by the airbox. I have found a good website with pictures that shows the process. The only difference is that your MAF is located in a different place. You can buy MAF cleaning sprays at local Auto Stores.

Good Luck

http://www.louv.tv/cars/m5/MAF/

This is how your MAF looks.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/433/m271maf.jpg

Glyn M Ruck 06-16-2010 07:33 AM

That is a typical MAF price in South Africa. Get a can of MAF cleaner from a good auto shop & clean the MAF - You might get lucky. If you need a new MAF order it from the US - much cheaper. Just make sure you get the correct MAF - P/N is on the black plastic cover. Companies like rmeuropean are excellent.

Make sure no one tries to sell you an Audi MAF - Looks identical but won't work on a Benz.

BTW - get yourself an OBDII scanner. Then you can read your own fault codes & save a fortune. Plug under oblong door under the steering column.

Maximus777 06-21-2010 06:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I managed to obtain a new MAF for much less than initially quoted. Took the vehicle to someone who knows what he does, and became an apprentice :confused: Managed to learn a lot in the process. Anyway, new MAF fitted, problem still there. The guy then took a hose, and listened to the base of the manifold. He told me that he hears air blowing where there should be none. Took the airbox and manifold off; lo and behold, a pressure hose was rotten off at the base where it connects to the engine. Replaced the hose, car idled perfect. Put back the old MAF, car still idled perfect. Fortunately the guys I bought the MAF from were great, and refunded me. Unbelievable that a silly pipe could cause so much upstart. Also that the "professionals" who had the car for a whole day, did not look any further than what the computer said. Sad really. Anyway, I'm just glad it's fixed. Regards

Glyn M Ruck 06-21-2010 06:48 AM

Great - Yes - any leak in any of the vacuum pipes or captive crankcase ventilation pipes will screw up your idle

Pleased you have it sorted. I should have directed you to the threads showing the number of times this is a problem.
Good luck!

Glyn M Ruck 06-21-2010 06:53 AM

BTW - Benz had a recall on pipes in the US - but of course not in SA!

W203E35 06-21-2010 07:15 AM

Sounds good Maximus. I'm glad the problem wasn't the MAF and you saved some money.

Maximus777 06-21-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4128158)
BTW - Benz had a recall on pipes in the US - but of course not in SA!

Sad really, as if it's not bad already that we are being ripped off on vehicle prices alone.

Maximus777 06-21-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4128154)
Great - Yes - any leak in any of the vacuum pipes or captive crankcase ventilation pipes will screw up your idle

Pleased you have it sorted. I should have directed you to the threads showing the number of times this is a problem.
Good luck!

No worries; thanks for the reply. I will do some reading in the threads now that I know what to look for.

Maximus777 06-21-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Karo (Post 4128173)
Sounds good Maximus. I'm glad the problem wasn't the MAF and you saved some money.

Definitely! :y

Bruno82 11-15-2016 05:05 PM

just have one question, does any MAF for c class,w203, work or has to be specific ?

C230 Sport Coup 11-16-2016 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruno82 (Post 6970217)
just have one question, does any MAF for c class,w203, work or has to be specific ?

Deja Vu...
Specific. PN's matching.
If you don't go OEM try the Bremi. Thats what I just got, working well, so far.
100 bucks.