C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

not turning over when starting on hill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
not turning over when starting on hill

Hi all!

OK, these SF hills just must not be good fro my car.

When I park on a hill, with the front pointing up hill, or when I'm parked perpendicular to the curb, but on a slant, the engine really struggles to turn over and a few times has stalled. I assume that the hill screws up the gas line.

However, it used to not do this. Anyone have any idea if this is normal or if there is something else wrong with my car.

Thanks

Beth
Old 04-08-2003, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: not turning over when starting on hill

Originally posted by galaxygrrl

OK, these SF hills just must not be good fro my car.

San Francisco hills aren't good for any car. The fuel system shouldn't be affected by parking on a hill, unless you have next to no fuel left in the tank. Something is acting up, but I wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer for it. Bring it up next time you take it in for service.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:24 PM

2008 C300 Sport
This may sound dumb, but check your gas cap. It may not be seated properly. Since they don't click when they're on correctly, the chance of it not producing a good seal is increased.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had it with this car. You know, it has had so many things wrong with it.

I was just going to cut a deal in a lemon law suit, but know I think I want my $$$ back. It really has been aweful.

Beth
Old 04-08-2003, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To make going up those hills easier you may want the old fashioned brute force of a V8. I've had 5 Mustangs and they've been generally trouble free. Certainly not the extent and severity of problems on any MB I've owned. A nice convertible in CA is the way to go. My daughter was dead set against a convertible but she drives with the top down about 25% of the time and wouldn't trade it for a hardtop. Also the T-Birds this year have more power and they are discounting them into the mid 30's, a really classy looking car if a 2 seater will work for you.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
To make going up those hills easier you may want the old fashioned brute force of a V8. I've had 5 Mustangs and they've been generally trouble free. Certainly not the extent and severity of problems on any MB I've owned. A nice convertible in CA is the way to go. My daughter was dead set against a convertible but she drives with the top down about 25% of the time and wouldn't trade it for a hardtop. Also the T-Birds this year have more power and they are discounting them into the mid 30's, a really classy looking car if a 2 seater will work for you.
I love convertabiles!!! And I would buy one. Wish the Celia was a convertible still. That would be a no brainer.

A v8 is out because of the gas milage. Anyway, my little Geo Storm and Cabrio had no problems on the hills. Just my MB.

I think it's a Honda or Toyota. The G-35 seems like a good idea too. I've owned two German Cars and both have been horrible. They are more fun to drive, but not if their in the shop all the time.

Beth
Old 04-08-2003, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had both V6 and V8 Mustangs and they both get the same gas mileage if you drive them the same, about 22 mpg, actually better than my average mileage on my C-Coupe of about 21 mpg. You can get the new Bettle Convertible, it's not really european since it's made in North America but the people I've known with Beetles love them and they have been trouble free. I would wait for the 1.8L Turbo to become available on the convertible if it's not already, that's a really nice motor.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I've had both V6 and V8 Mustangs and they both get the same gas mileage if you drive them the same, about 22 mpg, actually better than my average mileage on my C-Coupe of about 21 mpg. You can get the new Bettle Convertible, it's not really european since it's made in North America but the people I've known with Beetles love them and they have been trouble free. I would wait for the 1.8L Turbo to become available on the convertible if it's not already, that's a really nice motor.
Ha! Buell, you've spewed some BS in the past, but the 'reliable' new Beetle takes the cake! C'mon! EVERYONE I know that has had one had serious greif with them, my wife's best friend ended up dumping hers in favor of a Corrolla because of the numerous failures and frequent cost of non warranty covered items. Hell, just about any long term review of one complains of curious failures!

BTW, my sister own a v6, and now a V8 GT Mustang...the mileage never sees 22 on the V8. Perhaps out on the highway- down hill with a desert tailwind. And if youre getting 21 on the highway with your Coupe, you need to remove the parking brake before leaving the driveway.

Galaxy Girl: Does your car do this everyday, or only every few days? I ask because a friend had this problem with her Honda when it was low on gas...if she parked in the back of the pawrking lot at work(which has a steep slope) her car wouldn't start. Low on fuel every time. Sometimes the car would start, and then stall 10 seconds later.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry Outland, don't know anyone with Beetle problems. As for the 21 mpg on the coupe, that's average. Pure 72 mph freeway cruise I get 32.5 but for a tankful the best I've gotten was about 28 MPG driving up the coast. The 3.8 Mustang convertible consistantly gets 22 mpg in the same type of driving and so did my old 5.0 liter, 20 mpg at worst. Don't know about new 4.6, maybe it's not as good. On the other hand my coupe has more power than that old 5.0, maybe she just needs a pulley
Old 04-09-2003, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Outland

Galaxy Girl: Does your car do this everyday, or only every few days? I ask because a friend had this problem with her Honda when it was low on gas...if she parked in the back of the pawrking lot at work(which has a steep slope) her car wouldn't start. Low on fuel every time. Sometimes the car would start, and then stall 10 seconds later.
Nope, not the same problem. Happens every time. I do think it has an issue with the engine not getting gas and the problem is in the fuel line, but it happens on a hill all the time. If it was just when I was parked facing up hill, I would think that could be the case, but not with the car perpendicular to the curb.

The issue is I live in a town of hills, so this is not acceptable -- as if any of the other problems are.

Thanks for the advice though.

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-09-2003 at 12:27 AM.