C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Gas fumes/odor & harsh 2nd to 1st gear shift - Going to the dealer today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W203 SS
Gas fumes/odor & harsh 2nd to 1st gear shift - Going to the dealer today

I’m taking the Benz to the dealer AGAIN for the same reasons. This time to get it repaired properly... I hope.

Since I purchased the car, I noticed a strong gas smell from within and around the perimeter. One dealer replaced the gas tank sending unit seals to no avail. The second dealer replaced both sending units but warned that if it came back, they might need to replace the gas tank and all of its components. Well sure enough a few months pass and it’s worse than ever. Had to air out the garage this morning it was so strong.
As far as the shifting issue, I did STFF and found a couple of threads regarding the harsh 2nd to 1st gear shift in Sport mode. It appears that a software flash/revision/update is needed.

Might any of you have advice or tips that I can use? Any technical descriptions, TSB #’s or technical jargon I can use to my advantage?

Glyn… JohnA… I’m also looking in your direction
Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by DrgnflyZ28
I’m taking the Benz to the dealer AGAIN for the same reasons. This time to get it repaired properly... I hope.

Since I purchased the car, I noticed a strong gas smell from within and around the perimeter. One dealer replaced the gas tank sending unit seals to no avail. The second dealer replaced both sending units but warned that if it came back, they might need to replace the gas tank and all of its components. Well sure enough a few months pass and it’s worse than ever. Had to air out the garage this morning it was so strong.
As far as the shifting issue, I did STFF and found a couple of threads regarding the harsh 2nd to 1st gear shift in Sport mode. It appears that a software flash/revision/update is needed.

Might any of you have advice or tips that I can use? Any technical descriptions, TSB #’s or technical jargon I can use to my advantage?

Glyn… JohnA… I’m also looking in your direction
Just tell them you have the harsh 2nd to 1st downshift should be all it takes to have them flash the ECU and TCU. It is such a widely known 7G problem. You have an 07, so you should have the latest valve body, so all that is needed is the latest software. I can tell you from experience the latest software makes a significant difference in overall drive ability and performance. I don't have any of the weird 7G shifts, or any lag manually shifting anymore.

As for your gas smell, have them check the filler neck of the tank. I remember some others having that be a common problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1 - I can't improve at all on John's reply. Do you ever get an EECS - (Evapourative Emissions Control System) code & CEL?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

2007 W203 SS
Originally Posted by johnand
Just tell them you have the harsh 2nd to 1st downshift should be all it takes to have them flash the ECU and TCU. It is such a widely known 7G problem. You have an 07, so you should have the latest valve body, so all that is needed is the latest software. I can tell you from experience the latest software makes a significant difference in overall drive ability and performance. I don't have any of the weird 7G shifts, or any lag manually shifting anymore.

As for your gas smell, have them check the filler neck of the tank. I remember some others having that be a common problem.
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
+1 - I can't improve at all on John's reply. Do you ever get an EECS - (Evapourative Emissions Control System) code & CEL?
No codes Glyn... nary a hint of a problem other than the potent odor.

John, you just brought to my attention something that has been bothering me...the delayed manual shifting. I always though that was strange. I do hope the flash resolves it.

Sticky:
1) Check for codes
2) ECU/TCU Flash
3) Check filler neck

I thank you both and will post my results once I receive the car.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM

2007 W203 SS
A quick update:

The car is in and the two items were noted. Checking it out today and I anticipate a call with an update by the COB today.

One good thing is I received a C300 as a loaner. I really wish my lil 2.5 had the same power.
Whoa, I just noticed that the rearview mirror is a manual adjust... what the hell MB, even the base model should be auto-adjust
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
You mean for the dimmer? The car must not have that package.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM

2007 W203 SS
UPDATE:
1) Gas tank: The seals on the sending units were replaced.
Results: no gas smell in or outside of the car. The dealer filled the tank as well. Note: the seals were replaced once and the sending units were replaced another time. Now the seals again... I'm not liking this pattern.

2) Tranny: Received a software flash.
Results: 2nd gear to 1st gear change is much smoother and not as abrupt. Manual gear changes are much more responsive to input and are not as delayed. In auto, the tranny shifts much smoother now. Pretty close to seamless now.

3) Alignment: Pulling to the right addressed.
They dismounted the front tires and swapped them left to right due to "radial pull". Still pulls slightly to the right (damnit!) although I suggested a bit more + caster on the right wheel to offset the road crowning. Looks like they addressed the steering wheel not being centered because it finally is. Man what a pet peeve that was!

All-in-all I am somewhat pleased with the results of the repairs. I do have an indy that specializes in MB, BMW & Audi. They performed an alignment on my Z28 as it is lowered and they handle special alignment specs. I think I might be going there to see what they can do for the Benz sometime in the future.

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
You mean for the dimmer? The car must not have that package.
You would think that at the very least, a rearview mirror auto-dimmer would come standard. I noticed how some of the standard features on the W203 are now options on the W204.

Last edited by DrgnflyZ28; 08-09-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo :)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cost cutting at its finest. Even your 2007 showed lots of cost cutting measures that my 05 doesn't.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Good - you seem to be winning - That gas tank smell problem & sender unit seals is not common. You seem to be unlucky. In fact you've made me paranoid. I'm always sniffing for fuel smell - don't want it polluting my leather smell. Had one in the car in my garage the other day - turned out I'd knocked over a can of paint brush cleaner!

I don't know why US dealers are reluctant to listen about fitting fluted bolts & dialing in an extra degree of castor on the right. There was a TSB about it in SA - of course in reverse due to us driving on the "wrong" side of the road (must watch my P's & Q's on this sensitive forum)

It's a guaranteed fix for pulling & corrects road camber related tyre wear.

Drive the car for a few days & as Johnand will tell you once the tranny has learned your driving style again it will be even smoother.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-09-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

2007 W203 SS
Thank you for all of the feedback. Eventually, I will purchase the bolts, printout the TSB and see if the indy will take care of it.
As for the gas smell... someone I work with recently purchased an 07 E350 with the same issue. Strange indeed...
LOL about the brush cleaner
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Our '02 went through two sets of sending unit seals before they got it right. I get the feeling that they are probably easy to pinch or otherwise not install correctly. Hopefully this solved it for you.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by DrgnflyZ28
UPDATE:
1) Gas tank: The seals on the sending units were replaced.
Results: no gas smell in or outside of the car. The dealer filled the tank as well. Note: the seals were replaced once and the sending units were replaced another time. Now the seals again... I'm not liking this pattern.

2) Tranny: Received a software flash.
Results: 2nd gear to 1st gear change is much smoother and not as abrupt. Manual gear changes are much more responsive to input and are not as delayed. In auto, the tranny shifts much smoother now. Pretty close to seamless now.
Hey all,

I am a total n00b here, I just bought my first MB (a 2006 C230 Sport) and I have a fuel smell and the transmission is harsh from 2nd to 1st - and manual shifting is painfully unresponsive to the point where its almost unusable.

I bought it from a toyota dealer in my area, and I got a bumper to bumper warranty with it. I do you all think taking it in for service there would be worthwhile or should I go to the MB dealer and pay out of pocket?

v/r,

--J
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you got a warranty with it, it shouldn't matter where you take it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
If you got a warranty with it, it shouldn't matter where you take it.
yeah, I was just thinking that the toyota dealership wouldn't be able to do the transmission update.

I already made an appointment for Monday (soonest they could get me in).

Thanks!