MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   04 C230 Sedan Windshield Wipers not working at all (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/373094-04-c230-sedan-windshield-wipers-not-working-all.html)

rodsalazar09 10-27-2010 04:06 PM

04 C230 Sedan Windshield Wipers not working at all

Help!

My windshield wipers are not working at all.

Stalk control arm doesn't seem to activate wipers; nor do the wipers go on automatically when it's raining.

Tried swapping out fuses, and it still didn't work.

Anybody out there ever encounter this?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

ontmiss 10-27-2010 04:14 PM

could be wiper relay

Utahkompressor 10-27-2010 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did you try all 3 settings? None of them work?

Here is the relay diagram:

ontmiss 10-28-2010 04:13 PM

make sure the hood, doors and windows are all closed

ggms16 10-31-2010 11:58 AM

It can be the "hood closed" sensor, or just a relay.. Post if you solve the issue

rodsalazar09 11-01-2010 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Utahkompressor: Are you suggesting swapping out only relays L & Q with new relays?

Ontmiss: Your suggestion sounds so simple, that maybe I overlooked it. Will try.

I'll post the outcome.

Thanks again.

eesjunin 11-01-2010 08:51 PM

very know issue with the wiper motor....mine have been sitting in 50% travel for the past 6 months...they do work though, just look extremely gaaaaaaaay

Star Rider 02-18-2011 08:31 PM

Did you figure this out? I have the same issue with mine. They just stopped working one day.

mikesky 10-16-2013 11:38 PM

Hi, Any resolution for this problem?
As I have the same. Done all the above mentioned steps and nothing happened. Front wipers and washer fluid not working. All rear are ok. No issues. No codes on the panel.
Any recommendation how to fix that? Thank you.

hand 08-02-2014 05:13 PM

Thanks for the great thread. See diagnostics for my car below. Also see my video below on how to replace the combination switch on a 2004 C230 W203.

Diagnostics: Fuse 46 fine. Wipers do Not work on intermittent, I or II speed. Wipers Do swipe for wash cycle (pushing combo switch in once). Assume on/off relay is probably fine because there is some functionality. Hood latch sensor issue ruled out because wipers did not work while driving over 5kmh. By process of elimination I assumed combo switch is faulty.

Video:

HUtts 09-12-2014 06:18 PM

Thanks for the video

Thanks for the great video. I have the opposite problem to you Hand, my wipers work, but there is no wiper movement nor fluid being sprayed on the windshield when the stalk is pushed in. I am thinking that I have the same problem, but a different wire is broken. What do you think?

hand 09-13-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by HUtts (Post 6165781)
Thanks for the great video. I have the opposite problem to you Hand, my wipers work, but there is no wiper movement nor fluid being sprayed on the windshield when the stalk is pushed in. I am thinking that I have the same problem, but a different wire is broken. What do you think?

It probably is the stalk (combination switch). But not 100% certain. Before doing mine, I looked through wiring diagrams on the star service dvd to see if the wash cycle and swipe were controlled by a different circuit. Couldn't find anything separate so I believe it is on the same fuses/relays.

siryarquest 09-26-2014 02:47 PM

I had no idea that the hood and doors had be closed, what the hell? Thanks for the posting. Had me baffled.

Tony

a.bougon 11-01-2014 12:18 PM

Being handy

I did what the video showed but using the Haynes Manuel. Pretty straight forward using the manual. Like the video says you need a lot of straight to loosen the steering wheel retaining bolt. I did find the blue and black wire broken. Being handy I was able to dismantle the arm, splice in new length of wire by soldering wires together cover up with heat shrink. Reassemble the arm then pulling the pins out of the connector, reusing the pins by removing the old wires then soldering the new wires on the pins. Reinsert the pins to the connector. Then reassemble the assembly together. Did file of some of the plastic like the video shows, cause I did find that was one of the flaws causing to pinch the wires causing to break of eventually. If need more info, please email me at a.bougon@hotmail.com

chicity78 03-17-2015 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by HUtts (Post 6165781)

HUtts, did you ever find out the problem to your issue? I have the same problem. My push-in does not create washer fluid spray nor wiper movement yet the wipers work when using them "normally"...

KSKarl 03-17-2015 12:58 PM

Thanks, in my case the wipers are working - just the washer doesn't squirt. Looks like that's not likely to be the switch.

chicity78 03-17-2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by KSKarl (Post 6367640)
Thanks, in my case the wipers are working - just the washer doesn't squirt. Looks like that's not likely to be the switch.

KSKarl, I should of been more clear. I am having the same issue you seem to be having. My washer fluid doesn't spray but my wipers work correctly when normally turned out. I guess I should ask if your wipers move when you press the push in mechanism?

KSKarl 03-17-2015 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chicity78 (Post 6367964)
KSKarl, I should of been more clear. I am having the same issue you seem to be having. My washer fluid doesn't spray but my wipers work correctly when normally turned out. I guess I should ask if your wipers move when you press the push in mechanism?

Yes, the wipers operate as advertised -- intermittent, low, and high speeds when I twist the control and a swipe when I press in to the the first click and a few swipes when I press to the second click and hold it in. Just no washer fluid. So I'll check the pump (yes, I did fill the fluid...)

woodnj63 06-26-2015 10:30 AM

This discussion was very helpful. I had to replace the wind screen washer pump and didn't realize the hood,doors and windows needed to be closed for everything to work.
Thanks,
NJ

Marcodemarco 09-15-2015 04:20 AM

06 c230 sport

Originally Posted by chicity78 (Post 6367130)
HUtts, did you ever find out the problem to your issue? I have the same problem. My push-in does not create washer fluid spray nor wiper movement yet the wipers work when using them "normally"...

- I have the same issue . Push the combo switch and nothing . Doesn't spray nor wiper movement . Did you ever find the problem ?

Gerth 12-04-2015 03:38 AM

Hi!

I have more or less the same problems. No washer nor wiper function in any position. BUT if I move the blinker just a little bit, or even just blink to the left, all functions are working. Could this be a relay problem, or do I need to replace the combination switch?

lawrencecheng 12-07-2015 05:31 AM

I had the same problem and I took it to the dealer. They told me it was the front signal acquisition module. It's a little less than $200

Gerth 12-17-2015 05:29 AM

Thanks HAND, for an excellent video.
It took me less than 20 mins to change the combination switch. Even though I got a brand new original part from MB, I must say the construction is no good. The wires are exposed to unnecessary wear and tear, so it is just a matter of time before any of the wires fails again.

C230Ak 04-10-2016 03:38 PM

Hey all,

Hand, great vid by the way, found it on YouTube first and used it to replace my switch. It was even the same blue wire that broke on mine! The 06 CLK was a tiny bit different but more or less the same. I don't even have an ESP or SRS error lights. Sadly what I am also lacking is ANY functions related to the combi switch (e.g. wipers/washer, turn signals, and high beams). Any idea what I mighta goofed? The WIS for my car refers to using SDS to clear fault codes after but I haven't seen that referenced anywhere else in ppls adventures. Thanks!

CJRay 11-14-2016 05:08 PM

Help!

My wipers do not work at all, including the wash cycle (pushing combo switch in once).

Fuse 46 fine. But I don't know how to check the relay, want to make sure if it's relay issue before buying tools and part to fix the combination switch.