C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Midnight Koop's CL203 (attempted revival thread with updates)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe (CL203)
Interesting how different cars seem to fair differently with similar kit installed when it comes to rubbing tyres !

Here i can't realistically lower it without causing issues clearing stuff

Enjoy the vacation
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM

2006 C280
That is one beautiful coupe Midnight
I had the 2002 c230k coupe back in 2003ish.... it was sooo hard to find parts back then
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM

C350 Coupe (CL203)
Right .... lets see.....

1st, i didn't miss your offer to trade front bumper strips - i have parking sensors, and you don't so it's not gonna work, but appreciate the offer !

2nd, i've solved my wheel dilemma - i got some Brabus Monoblock VI's like Blake P had on his coupe. Now i need to work out what spacers i need to run 235 up front and 255 at the rear, on 18x8.5/9.5 rims with an ET35 ofset on all
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by C350_Coupe
Interesting how different cars seem to fair differently with similar kit installed when it comes to rubbing tyres !

Here i can't realistically lower it without causing issues clearing stuff

Enjoy the vacation
Thanks I'm back and it was great... In case you want to see some photos:

Italy Fotos

Originally Posted by anthonyy
That is one beautiful coupe Midnight
I had the 2002 c230k coupe back in 2003ish.... it was sooo hard to find parts back then
Thanks!

It still is hard... Probably even harder now. I've had it since 2003, but didn't start modding until 2006. I knew mods were hard to come by... so I've always jumped on anything I could find over the years. Most of what I have is second hand from other members.... except for the lights.

Originally Posted by C350_Coupe
Right .... lets see.....

1st, i didn't miss your offer to trade front bumper strips - i have parking sensors, and you don't so it's not gonna work, but appreciate the offer !

2nd, i've solved my wheel dilemma - i got some Brabus Monoblock VI's like Blake P had on his coupe. Now i need to work out what spacers i need to run 235 up front and 255 at the rear, on 18x8.5/9.5 rims with an ET35 ofset on all
Those are some sick wheels... excellent choice. I would definitely pick those up if I could get my hands on a set of originals... but the few that I do see are 19's.

Post pictures once you get them up!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 PM

C350 Coupe (CL203)
Nice pics, some interesting panoramic style shots in there as well, looks like you had some cracking weather.

Will do on posting pics, i posted one on the CL203 Club, but you can't see too much cause it's all 4 in their boxes, they aren't in really bad condition, will be getting them refurbished, cost me £600 to buy and i'm anticipating 2-300 pounds to refurb them, trying to work out what finish to get them done in.

Then will source tyres, but it will be a while before i put them into use, because the ones i have on now are ok for a bit, and then in november i'll switch them to winter tyres, run those through till about March time and then put these on

Costly business that's for sure, these in total with new boots will be about £1500-£1600 and a full set of winter tyres is gonna set me back about £700

Last edited by C350_Coupe; 08-19-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
RIP Koop

picking up from dealer today and getting towed.

$6100 in repairs... oil everywhere: sensors, computer, wiring all done.

My car had cardiac arrest and a heart explosion.

I'm going to miss her...

In related news, I'm contemplating a massive part out, but am too lazy to take out major items.

Anyone want to purchase my car?

Useable items include: Bixenons, AMG Bumper / AMG Fogs, Update Taillights, Renntech Spoiler, Coupe Roof Rack, Mattig Grille, Updated Grille...

Will swap for CLS500 wheels and new-ish tires for stocks (local please)

also have 2007 sports with newish michelin pilot as plus
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
OH MAN! What happened?!?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by TruTaing
OH MAN! What happened?!?
will find out once i get there... but oil damaged the following:

ME comp, O2 sensors, MAF sensor, Cam sensors, coils, and more... totalling to $6100 in repairs (parts and labor)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Sounds like your cam sensors pooped on ya and ya didnt catch it Leaks down and usually kills your o2 sensors and in some cases it has been known to leak into the ECU of the m271

Isnt there a technical service bulletin on this? And shouldnt it be covered by MB? (my friend who has an m271 had both sensors replaced by the dealer and she was out of warranty)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by TruTaing
Sounds like your cam sensors pooped on ya and ya didnt catch it Leaks down and usually kills your o2 sensors and in some cases it has been known to leak into the ECU of the m271

Isnt there a technical service bulletin on this? And shouldnt it be covered by MB? (my friend who has an m271 had both sensors replaced by the dealer and she was out of warranty)
i think they were hinting to that too... sucks because i JUST got a service B two weeks ago... shame that they didn't pick that up.

how could that have been detected early w/o me bringing it up to MB?

i'll going to search to see if it was a technical service bulletin.....

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 10-20-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
ok so i got this done when the announcement was made:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...m-sensors.html

but it seems that mine exploded anyway... sucks
Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Oh that SUCKS!!!! Really sucks man! Another coupe bites the dust!

I still havent bothered checking if my radiator is leaking coolant. I should probably get that done soon if I want to keep my car going I guess.

Anyway, I might be interested in some parts if youre parting out...especially the wheels etc. Whereabouts are you located? I might consider driving down and picking up if youre close-ish.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe, 2003 E320, 2003 Chevy Corvette Z06
Damn. . . sorry to hear this I have some stockies that i can trade with you.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM

C350 Coupe (CL203)
oh man that sucks, sorry to hear this, you looked after it pretty good too

That sensor failure thing, is a different setup i have in mine i think, so hopefully not the same issues, and your also too far away for me to be able to get any parts from you
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
update for all my coupe-kin...

i took it to another MB dealership for a second opinion and tried to mention the possibility of them not originally checking for oil damage when they replaced the leaky cam sensor under recall. although slim, i hope that they can redirect the responsibility to mercedes and warrant a good will cause for my car.

basically... i got my cam harness replaced in March 2010, and since then i replaced my 02 sensors and noticed that oil was in the wires, but thought it was residual from after the sensor was replaced. maybe there was damage that had built up since then and is only showing up now.

i'm going to do whatever i can to keep her... but if it comes down to a ridiculous set of fees then i'll just let her go.

thoughts of parting out... finding someone local interested in swapping for OEM parts.. or selling as is (working or dead) have crossed my mind. i'll make the final decision once i hear the verdict tomorrow.

regardless... i'm not too enthused about being car-less, because now isn't the best time for me to purchase a replacement. if i do sell and get a replacement, this will happen in the spring of next year. and prior to that, i will slowly start parting out.

such a shame if it comes to it.. because just this summer i put the amg bumper, repainted, new/used wheels, roof rack and brand new remus.

will post service updates tomorrow!

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 10-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if the issue is caused by the parts that was done during the service bulletin recall you can probably contact MBUSA directly disclose your problem and see if they will cover the repair cost. sometimes they do. you never know.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by FrankW
if the issue is caused by the parts that was done during the service bulletin recall you can probably contact MBUSA directly disclose your problem and see if they will cover the repair cost. sometimes they do. you never know.
thanks frank... thats what i'm banking on... (fingers crossed)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
UPDATE!

My car is now at the second dearlership (same one that performed the Cam Sensor Recall).

Despite all that is damaged with oil.. they confirmed that there is a good amount of residual oil sitting in the harness that looks very old. (I just got the recall performed in March 2010... so looks like it was there before then).

They decided to replace O2 sensors, clean Mass airflow sensor, cam sensors and replace anything that needs replacing.

They didn't find anything wrong with the coils... and think it was simply a misfire due to all the nonsense happening.

So in the end, what was previously quoted as $6100 of labor + parts... is being done for FREE!

---

in other news... I do plan to eventually sell my car in the next year, once this is all fixed. And will most probably still part out everything that has reasonable labor involved. Anything more invasive that I need stock parts, I prefer someone local to do the swapping (ex: kleeman headers/cat, remus exhaust, etc..).

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 10-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
that's awesome to hear that they are performing this free.

I am hoping everything works out fine for you in the end.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Very good news! Though what's your logic on dumping it within a year, especially now that it's going to have a clean bill of health?

Just a thought - if you keep saying "local only", for possible sales, it would probably make sense to put on your profile where you're located.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by hcoronado
that's awesome to hear that they are performing this free.

I am hoping everything works out fine for you in the end.
thanks!

Originally Posted by tommy
Very good news! Though what's your logic on dumping it within a year, especially now that it's going to have a clean bill of health?

Just a thought - if you keep saying "local only", for possible sales, it would probably make sense to put on your profile where you're located.
good point!

if i end up going back to school and do need a car for day-to-day... depending on the location, i prefer to have a car that is covered under warranty and more dependable b/c i wont have time to deal with issues and research online for things. other reasons include wanting more doors and space.

pretty much all depends on if and where i go. i may not need a car at all if i'm in the city, and in that case i'm going to minimize all my expenses (sell my car) and borrow a family's car. i need to basically prepare to be in a couple hundred thousand dollars in debt for academics, so i'm cut down on everything that i can.

plus, if i'm ever going to sell.. its best to do it once it has been all cleaned and is in running condition. i don't want to try to sell down the road and have to deal with a half-running car with repairs that may not be covered. i prefer to sell while it is running and have the time to part out since i'm not in school as of now (only working).
Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Midnight Koop
My car is now at the second dearlership (same one that performed the Cam Sensor Recall).

Despite all that is damaged with oil.. they confirmed that there is a good amount of residual oil sitting in the harness that looks very old. (I just got the recall performed in March 2010... so looks like it was there before then).

They decided to replace O2 sensors, clean Mass airflow sensor, cam sensors and replace anything that needs replacing.

They didn't find anything wrong with the coils... and think it was simply a misfire due to all the nonsense happening.

So in the end, what was previous quoted as $6100 of labor + parts... is being done for FREE!

---

in other news... I do plan to eventually sell my car in the next year, once this is all fixed. And will most probably still part out everything that has reasonable labor involved. Anything more invasive that I need stock parts, I prefer someone local to do the swapping (ex: kleeman headers/cat, remus exhaust, etc..).

Thats great news that youre going to have it running again!

Let me know if youre selling your wheels anytime soon. Definitely interested in both of your sets (CLS and the 2007 sport)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by jcnash
Thats great news that youre going to have it running again!

Let me know if youre selling your wheels anytime soon. Definitely interested in both of your sets (CLS and the 2007 sport)
i am planning to, but need to confirm my situation by the spring. if i sell both sets, i will need non-sport replacements... so thats one hook.

i'll let you know.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
New Oxygen sensors, wiring harness, maf sensor cleaned, etc... and picking up my car now
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
can't beat having a nice car than selling it and get nearly nothing in return.

great to hear everything is covered!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Midnight Koop's CL203 (attempted revival thread with updates)